Fence Sitters Special: Raymond Berry helmet

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:38 am

Okay, training camps have opened and it's time to get SERIOUS about football. We have provided our first 100 signups with autographed photographs and now it's time to give an incentive to those who have waited way too long to sign up for the NFFC. I just found an autographed Raymond Berry Colts' mini-helmet in our warehouse and I'll give it to one of the next five signups we get for the NFFC, Auction League or Draft Masters League. Once we have five signups in, we'll pick a name out of a hat and send out this $50 item.

I hate to reward those who wait, but sometimes we all need a little push. Let's keep the signups coming in as it's been a good two months of activity and now we need a strong push down the stretch drive. I'll start the push with this mini-helmet and keep looking in the warehouse for more goodies. C'mon now, light those lights!!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Uncle Louie

Post by Uncle Louie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:01 am

What happens if we don't reach 600 players for NFFC????

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:33 am

We don't have to reach 602 players for us to keep the prize structure in place. If we hit 448, for instance, it just means that we're giving back 100 percent of the prize money and KP makes zero on the event. The same thing happened in baseball as the prize structure was set up for 300 teams and we finished with 195 NFBC teams and 37 Auction League teams. We paid back almost 100 percent of the revenue in prize money and KP didn't make a dime on that event. But we did the right thing, established the industry's premiere high stakes baseball event and feel comfortable that we'll reach our goal in 2005 and show a profit in Year Two. That's not a bad thing.

We have every intention of keeping the prize structure intact, but yes if we finish with 200 signups we'll obviously have to make a tough decision. We have two options: 1) Take a huge loss and keep the prize structure in place; or 2) Refund everyone's money. At that point we'd restructure the prize pool and allow everyone to sign up again if they wanted to play under those conditions. In other words, we'd limit the teams to 300 and offer a $100,000 grand prize.

But I can tell you that we have over 150 fully paid signups for all of the events and the signups keep coming each day, so we feel confident that there is still time to reach our goals. There is no chance this event will be cancelled and no reason to think we won't reach our goals at this point. We have a great group of people signed up already and hopefully this last month will bring in plenty more.

So think positive and join us. It's going to be a great competition and the odds of winning it all may end up being better than you thought.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:48 am

Personally, I'm happy either way although I probably would prefer the smaller event with a higher probablity of scratching in the overall. The "expected value" of both scenarios is the same.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:22 am

I wouldn't have a problem with the total prize being $100,000, and then Krause Publications could send an annual check for $25,000 for the next 4 years to make up the difference. ;)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:04 am

Just remember guys, I was answering the question honestly and not planning this scenario. Legally, those are our two options since we're advertising this grand prize. We sure expect the signups to continue to flow in with football back in the public eye and we've had a great start with a lot of our NFBC guys still not signed up. We have a solid group of high-stakes players to draw from yet. But I honestly answered the question about our options and feel comfortable that I'll keep my job here even if we break even!!!

Help us spread the word and help us get rid of some of these autographed memorabilia items. They're doing no good on my desk!!!

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:24 am

Here's how I see it...There are over 150 fully paid sign-ups already, and there hasn't even been a single pre season game. That's 1/4 of the entries filled and paid up before a single down has been snapped in scrimmage. I'm confident a lot more people will sign up for the NFFC as pre season is underway and we get closer to the Fantasy Football season.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:30 am

Man, I'm with you Diesel. Camps opened late this year and thus it feels like we're well into summer without a single game. The Hall of Fame game is this weekend and then the pre-season schedule will go full steam ahead. We have a great group of owners right now and I'm happy with that and our NFBC guys are still knee deep in baseball stats. Keep spreading the word about the NFFC and we'll get to our goal yet.