Observations

JerseyPaul

Observations

Post by JerseyPaul » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:31 pm

Priest requires 2 picks in the first 5 rounds to nail down KC production... some could consider this expensive.

Kevin Jones has an ankle injury of undetermined severity.

McCallister has to deal with all away games and a tragedy in his home city.

Manning and Culpepper had the same points per game last year and were about 14 ppg better than the 14th QB. Tomlinson was only about 8 ppg better than the 28th RB last year. So who's the moron, Dyv?

I think your post was the result of some early partying. I think all you wiseguy posters owe some people an apology.

Sack

Observations

Post by Sack » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:54 pm

I think you owe me an apology JP for taking me all the way UP on Curtis Martin.....U rat. Was it me, or was Fandango bidding on all your players? Great time guys, best of luck

hankstr56

Observations

Post by hankstr56 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:14 am

Manning and Culpepper are healthy and extremely productive fantasy players. Kudos to anyone who picks according to their own analysis and gut feel. Drafting strictly by magazine ranking is a sure recipe for failure. I have no problems with the Manning/Culpepper picks. Eyebrows should instead be raised at picks of players who are injured for a susbstantial period of time.

renman

Observations

Post by renman » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:04 am

i have to agree with jersey paul in that everyone thinks they are the expert and can sit and judge a team, or pick right after the draft...

and while i agree that the guy sitting numbers 3 and 4 received gifts with tomlinson and alexander in those spots, i am not sure it is reasonable to call the guys who picks the QB's "idiots".

i personally thought it was an interesting year to draft as in my opinion most RB's from 3 to 12ish are very hard to separate. i find it very easy to justify that julius jones, lamont jordan, kevin jones might very well have better seasons then dom. davis, willis mcgahee and priest holmes. so many picks past #3 will differ hugely from board to board. assuming first round picks do not get hurt.. we will succeed of fail thanks to picks 3-8.....

Ernol

Observations

Post by Ernol » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:00 am

Priest Holmes falling to 8th versus Kevin Jones falling to 2.7. I disagree with David. For everyone at the end of the first round to pass on Jones is one thing (odd, but ok, believable). But for 6 owners to pass on him as a RB2 is crazy!!! I think Jones slipping to 2.7 is even stranger than someone taking Culpepper at #2 (although far less damaging assuming the #3 owner drafted well after LT2).

Greg Ambrosius

Observations

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:01 am

Although you know I respect you very much Dyv, calling out two guys who go against the grain has only one purpose: To create message board fodder. You know who the owner was who picked Culpepper second because those two die-hard fantasy owners were the last ones to leave with us as they sat there and analyzed every board with us. They didn't just walk away afterwards and say, "damn, I didn't expect Culpepper to be there at 2!" Maybe they expected Manning to be there at 2 and chose to go QB-WR-WR like several other owners did today. And the guy who took Manning first certainly has that right, too, as it's not like he took an unproductive player there.

If 19 of 20 leagues had LT as the No. 1 pick (I'm only speculating as I don't have the results from the other leagues), then is it fair to call out the one owner who went against the grain? Sure, if you want. But only time will tell if he was right or now. Yes, going against the grain allows other owners to benefit as I know teams 3, 4, 5, etc. all were happy to see two extra RBs available to them. But I think time will tell if our owners are geniuses or the name you chose.

When you have 20 leagues and 280 owners, you're bound to get some results that go against the grain. That's why this is so much fun. But the proof is in the pudding and give us 17 more weeks until we find out what happens.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

doylejr

Observations

Post by doylejr » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:43 am

I did not mind the way people drafted as much as the people chosen to run the draft. My ny5 league was horrible, the guys did not know s##t about football and could not talk either. Many picks got missed by the other teams trying to follow the draft.Hopefully next year they do a little better screening of the people the put in those positions

BONGIZMO

Observations

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:07 am

Granted all of the above is open to debate but would anyone like to defend the pick I witnessed of Barlow at 2.10? Wasn't in my League alas... :(

[ September 04, 2005, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: BONGIZMO ]
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

kal8898

Observations

Post by kal8898 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:08 am

doylejr, 16 moderators were needed in NY alone. it's not easy finding that many people to spend their entire late morning and early afternoon on a HOLIDAY weekend to do that. i am sure they are willing to listen to any suggestions you may have in getting more competant people to do it though.
"Until there are none, Rescue One"
Rogers' Rescues
http://www.rogersrescues.com

BONGIZMO

Observations

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:10 am

On a seperate note let me say our Facillitator(sp?) and Board Controller were excellent. Draft went incredibly smooth and I have now made it 20 hours without having a player out for the year... ;)
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.