NFFC Plans for 2010?

Roger

NFFC Plans for 2010?

Post by Roger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm

As long as the entry fee is in the $650 to $800 range, and not $1,300, my co-manager and I are in the auction championship at the east coast venue. My co-manager talked me into doing the Fri auction in NY a couple of years ago and I've been hooked on the auction and auction DC formats ever since.

In my mind, the auction format is one of the few remaining untappped markets in fantasy football. The problem is getting people to try it. It is hard to convince people to put down $650 - $1,300 on a format that they are unfamiliar with. You need to lure people in with cheap satelite auctions, and the software for that is still primitive.

I would love to see Greg & Tom find a way to promote this by getting a few cheapie auction satelites going, but I don't see that happening this year because of software concerns. Nevertheless, I still believe that the auction championship will fill several leagues between the 3 venues. There is something special about doing this for an overall prize rather than simply winning your league.

Glenneration X

NFFC Plans for 2010?

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:59 pm

Just thought I'd copy & paste this post from Greg in response to Jules to give everyone a head's up on the time frame for NFFC announcements....

posted March 31, 2010 03:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by RedRyder:
Greg, do you think this would work in football? Test spin in 2010?

Yes and YES!!! Get ready for it.

Starting next week Tom and I will return to the NFFC boards after a three-month hiatus. We feel bad about being away this long and not announcing our plans, but baseball really needed our full attention. But starting late next week, we're ALL IN for the NFFC!!

--------------------
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Shrink Attack

NFFC Plans for 2010?

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:27 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
Just thought I'd copy & paste this post from Greg in response to Jules to give everyone a head's up on the time frame for NFFC announcements....

quote:

Starting next week Tom and I will return to the NFFC boards after a three-month hiatus. We feel bad about being away this long and not announcing our plans, but baseball really needed our full attention. But starting late next week, we're ALL IN for the NFFC!!

--------------------
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship Nice, but apparently that was pulled from the baseball boards, no?

It would take 1/10 of one second to copy and paste that on the football boards to placate the masses.

I actually have to wonder if the thinking at Fanball isn't that baseball is bigger, has more growth potential, more profit potential, and therefore will always get more priority. I understand the reasoning about it being the busiest part of the fantasy baseball season, but as already mentioned, abandoning your customer base for months then scrambling to play catchup with your competitors seems like a hard way to go.

I'm also not calling out Tom and Greg here. NFFC gets all my fantasy dollars (about $9,000 last year!), so I ain't goin' no place...I just want to see the event grow and become the premier FF contest, that's all.

Fantasy Football may always be the poor stepchild. I will admit that this is a biased worry from a player who strictly plays fantasy football.

What is this other fantasy game they speak of? ;)
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Diesel

NFFC Plans for 2010?

Post by Diesel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:47 am

"Trust in Bill", I hope to catch youy on the east coast for the auction championships. My opinion is, the cost will probably be $800-$1000 in order to award league prizes AND Championship prizes. But we'll see.

I'm a fantasy pimp in baseball and my prodigy drafted last night. I pay, he plays. We split 50/50. I ONLY play football, but a brotha's gotta get his fantasy fix on! ;)

Also, I will be making definite decisions on my fantasy football leagues for 2010 within the next month. When nfl draft day is done, I will have signed up and paid for all of my events. I truly hope the NFFC's fantasy event options are available by then, as they've always been my first choice. I have confidence in them. My only concern is if the new software gives them any trouble to start off the baseball season. This would most definitely push football's announcements further towards the summer.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

TamuScarecrow

NFFC Plans for 2010?

Post by TamuScarecrow » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:54 am

Ditto, Shrink and GK. I used to go to at least a dozen baseball games a year at various stadiums across the country but since the Strike of 93, I've pretty much told baseball to kiss my rump. Compared to growing up in the 60's in Baltimore with the Robinsons, Boog Powell, Jim Palmer, etc, today's baseball sucks. Watching today's baseball makes me feel like I'm living in either Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic. :(
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

kapefear

NFFC Plans for 2010?

Post by kapefear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:26 am

I understand your feelings,but todays baseball is watchable, were as todays basketball is unwatchable.... Bird vs. Magic, MJ.... Not even up for discussion!!!!!! :eek:

Diesel

NFFC Plans for 2010?

Post by Diesel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43 am

Strict rules, and many rich cry babies are what make baseball and basketball suck today. People used to FEAR Lambier. People used to FEAR Goose Gossage. Back in the day, if you wore a uniform, you stuck by your colors. This MADE rivalries stick. Today, there's no Reggie Miller to look you in the eye with 3 second left, wink at you, and win the game with a 35 foot three pointer and then smile as if he's done it a million times. There is no Charles Oakley to dive into the stands for EVERY loose ball. Today's players are about ME ME ME. And the rivalries are pathetic. The fans are the only reason rivalries are talked about anymore. Today, you're hated. Tomorrow you're our star player via free agency. I am ALL NFL, but even there, the defensive players can't be feared like Jack Lambert was. Because its all about offense. This helps for more scoring, but softens the game a bit.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BillyWaz

NFFC Plans for 2010?

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:27 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

quote:

--------------------
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship Fantasy Football may always be the poor stepchild. I will admit that this is a biased worry from a player who strictly plays fantasy football.

[/QUOTE]Paul,

As a fantasy football player myself (but admittedly baseball is growing on me!), I can tell you the fantasy baseball players say the SAME thing during the summer when Greg and Tom are knee deep in football.

They are having a VERY busy week fixing glitches with the new website/FAAB etc. Good thing for the football players is that the baseball players were the "guinea pigs" for this one, and the system should be ready to roll once they unveil it for football! :D

Greg Ambrosius

NFFC Plans for 2010?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:56 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

quote:

--------------------
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship Nice, but apparently that was pulled from the baseball boards, no?

It would take 1/10 of one second to copy and paste that on the football boards to placate the masses.

I actually have to wonder if the thinking at Fanball isn't that baseball is bigger, has more growth potential, more profit potential, and therefore will always get more priority. I understand the reasoning about it being the busiest part of the fantasy baseball season, but as already mentioned, abandoning your customer base for months then scrambling to play catchup with your competitors seems like a hard way to go.

I'm also not calling out Tom and Greg here. NFFC gets all my fantasy dollars (about $9,000 last year!), so I ain't goin' no place...I just want to see the event grow and become the premier FF contest, that's all.

Fantasy Football may always be the poor stepchild. I will admit that this is a biased worry from a player who strictly plays fantasy football.

[/QUOTE]Sorry Paul and others, but we were knee deep in baseball for four solid months. I know you think that shouldn't have affected our time with football, but everything we were building over there will be carried over to football. So don't think of it as one sport over another in our NFBC/NFFC family. We did a lot of good for the NFFC even though we weren't posting those accomplishments over here. I'll post all of them soon.

Last I looked, there are like 153 days before Draft Day in the NFFC. Baseball doesn't have that long between seasons and thus we work the same amount of time before each season; it's just that we have two extra months of offseason in football. Sorry you folks feel slighted, but again, by next week I will start listing the changes that are coming and we'll get the momentum going well before NFL Draft Day.

And that 1/10th of a second; I felt like I never had it during the last three months. I know you can't possibly believe it, but trust me, it felt that way. Fortunately, we hit a GRAND SLAM in baseball and Fanball came through with flying colors. We got a lot of crossover business from the Fanball user base and baseball increased over 30 percent in revenue and participation from the year before. Let's hope the same thing happens in football this year.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius