Week 6 Top 30

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:11 am

Originally posted by Rob K:
In the long run I can't see it being any worse that bidding $999 for Lamar Gordon in week one I guess I'll play the game with Vegas Gambler.
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O

Good job Rob K
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

ultimatefs

Week 6 Top 30

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:18 am

Originally posted by Dyv:
There appears to be a very clear camp that says "I hate change, I refuse to think about what you are saying... I'm not going to consider it and, oh... yeah.. um, it would confuse people! Yeah, confuse them!"

I know, I know - and the Republicans are intimidating old people and black people from voting and the Democrats insist Bush is going to put in a draft, etc. In the real world, we call those 'scare tactics'

I asked earlier in my post and others have tried here as well, 1 SIMPLE question:

IGNORING THE NEGATIVE FOR JUST ONE SECOND... do we all agree, without question, that if the system were simple and perfectly understandable by everyone, that bidding for a draft slot would be good?

(Again, imagine everyone in a league understood it fully... is it good that someone can have SOME control over their draft slot?)

Please answer directly, not as if you were Kerry in a debate. Dave, always enjoy your posts...

I'm a zero bid guy, but I like GG's idea.

It could easily be implemented.

How?

When you submit your application and check, there is one additional sheet of paper. It has:

Your Name:_____________________
Team Name:_____________________
League # _________ (to be filled in by office)

Blah blah blah explanation of bid process...

Your max bid for draft position:
1________
2________
14_______

Results to be posted on the message board when leagues are randomly drawn.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Week 6 Top 30

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:22 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
So far so good, but this old dog (and I AM old) can always learn new tricks. You even look older too.

According to those asked on the street.

Have to have a little fun on my b-day you old fart.

kjduke

Week 6 Top 30

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:46 am

Originally posted by UFS:
The TRUER test of the OVERALL skill ... is to be randomly assigned so that the OVERALL skill of the owner is tested, and not just their own personal draft preferences, which we all have. So you're arguing for greater mental acuity (or perhaps better software) rather than better player analysis.

Maybe we could just arm-wrestle for slot position? Actually, I'd take arm wrestling over the hat!

[ October 20, 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

dgamblnman

Week 6 Top 30

Post by dgamblnman » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:01 am

Let's open the doors and run to out draft position

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:02 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
Let's open the doors and run to out draft position with naked FSX girls... :D

ultimatefs

Week 6 Top 30

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:13 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
The TRUER test of the OVERALL skill ... is to be randomly assigned so that the OVERALL skill of the owner is tested, and not just their own personal draft preferences, which we all have. So you're arguing for greater mental acuity (or perhaps better software) rather than better player analysis.

Maybe we could just arm-wrestle for slot position? Actually, I'd take arm wrestling over the hat!
[/QUOTE]Personally, I think better player analysis comes from knowing the best draft strategy that each slot presents itself instead of just one strategy that you are wanting to use.

To me, that's a better test of one's overall skills.

There is a best straegy for each slot that can and does win as clearly proven in this event. That in itself makes the contest "more" of a test of skill IMO that any format where you can choose where you pick.

The way it is now, you get to know where your slot is before the draft, and get to plan accordingly. If you think your slot is a hinderence, then you simply aren't as skilled as you think you are. Period. End of story.

TamuScarecrow

Week 6 Top 30

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:15 am

Great post, Greg. Just want to reiterate in my "collusion" posts I said "perception of collusion". You may be able to eliminate or minimize the collusion but eliminating or minimizing the perception is a whole other issue. But whatever you decide, count me in as the experience so far has been worth the price of admission. I just enjoy arguing with the young bucks who think they've seen and done more than us older guys. :D
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:53 am

Originally posted by UFS:
If you think your slot is a hinderence, then you simply aren't as skilled as you think you are. Period. End of story. That's BS. sorry.

ultimatefs

Week 6 Top 30

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:10 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
If you think your slot is a hinderence, then you simply aren't as skilled as you think you are. Period. End of story. That's BS. sorry. [/QUOTE]The data from 20 years of UFS and 6 weeks of this event proves other wise. What's sorry is that you have no data to prove your point, and can only answer, "that's BS" every time you don't agree with something.

As Tom Cruise once said, "SHOW ME THE DATA!!"