Week 6 Top 30

TradeStar28

Week 6 Top 30

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:43 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
As a service to the rest of the players in this league, I will gladly run you out of town.

I accept the bet. Sweet! We will call our matchup :

"THE MUZZLE BOWL"

And it will all come down to MNF with my Chad Johnson versus your Plummer and Droughns!

:D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

ultimatefs

Week 6 Top 30

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:57 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
Okay, slot doesn't matter, UFS.

If I told you before you agreed to pay your fee that you would have draft slot #13, would you play?

Please, answer honestly.
Wouldn't have a problem. There's an ideal strategy from each slot that gives you a better chance of winning if executed as planned.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Week 6 Top 30

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:18 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
The data from 20 years of UFS and 6 weeks of this event proves other wise. What's sorry is that you have no data to prove your point, and can only answer, "that's BS" every time you don't agree with something.

As Tom Cruise once said, "SHOW ME THE DATA!!" john, i've seen you talking about your 20 years of data before, with specific strategies for each draft location. with all of this data, you should be a shoo-in to win this thing in the next 2-3 years, correct? certainly one of your top gamers should destroy the competition in this league. why not pay their entry fee next year and split the profits with them? fair question?
[/QUOTE]Of course not. There are far too many other variables that outweigh the draft in determining the winner. How could one possibly be a shoo-in when the draft does not solely determine the outcome? I have never seen a team in a Weekly FA league win the league without making a FA move. Over 1000 leagues.

The best strategy in each slot only increases the chance you'll win by about 10-15% IMO.

This is similar to WSOP IMO. The best players still don't always win. Sometimes you just have plain bad luck. I've had about 10 injuries so far.
McAllister, Jones, Branch, Kinney, Lloyd, Kennison and a few others I had to waive.

Picking up Droughns, Moore, and heck, maybe even Griese, and making moves like bidding $61 on all 3 FA QB's when a team doesn't have a bye week QB are far more important than the draft in the long run.

How many players have you waived off your 2 teams so far? How about all 224 teams? No one ever wins a league on the draft alone.

Why do you keep wanting to make this into a UFS owner against NFFC owner thing?

ultimatefs

Week 6 Top 30

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:23 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
The data from 20 years of UFS and 6 weeks of this event proves other wise. What's sorry is that you have no data to prove your point, and can only answer, "that's BS" every time you don't agree with something.

As Tom Cruise once said, "SHOW ME THE DATA!!" how much of your 20 year data involves leagues where trading is banned, and the only way to field a good team is through draft or FA pickups? i have my guess and subsequent conclusion, but await your response. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]None.

Draft OR FA pick ups. Never seen that either.

Back to trades.... I veto lopsided trades. The backbone of UFS is that I do that w/o hesitation, especially when contending/non-contending is involved.

But that has ZERO relevance to your topic here.

My drafts this year were all very similar to those here.

[ October 21, 2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: UFS ]

dgamblnman

Week 6 Top 30

Post by dgamblnman » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:18 am

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
Okay...I have looked at the matchups closely. I forsee that you have an advantage with my 3rd round pick Hines Ward and my 4th round pick Andre Johnson on their bye weeks....

But, my team will STILL put up more points than you in Week #7.

This is what I propose...

Our matchup will be a "LOSER LEAVES TOWN" match bet. This was made famous back in the early 1980's in the NWA wrestling scene down south. Basically..

Whomever losses in Week #7 by being outscored by their opponent has to :

1) Come on to the NFFC message forum and on a fresh thread must congratulate the Winner and bow down to them in front of everyone here

and

2) That will be the losers LAST post on this forum for the rest of this season. Basically, the loser leaves town!

Obviously this forum doesn't have enough room for the both of us...so one of us must go!

I await your response. And if you guys tie, you both leave town?????

renman

Week 6 Top 30

Post by renman » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:10 am

i know i am not one of the "regulars" here. though i have posted multiple times not one person seems to have ever replied to one of my messages...lol

i understand the concern that a change like this (allowing owners to try to control somewhat where they draft from) might overcomplicate the game some and turn off some "newbies"... and i also understand those who want to select their draft position in an effort to make this whole thing more fun.

we all agree we can win from ANY draft position with the right combo of good picks and good fortune. thats not the issue. the issue is making this as much fun as we possibly can.

here is my question, something i have asked before and never got an answer...

why must there be a complex (i know some think it is simple) bidding process involving FAAB dollars to try to pick our draft spots?

why can we not just PICK online where we want to draft a week before the draft. or even pick out of a hat the day of the draft? out of 14 teams, i would bet 6 would pick something no one else did. and then, those who picked the same draft spot, get put in a hat by the NFFC guys and they get picked randomly the way ALL teams are randomly picked now. so if 3 owners select draft postition FIVE. they randomly get picks 3-4-5. so even if they did not get FIVE. they are right near five. which is much better then wanting five and randomly getting 13.

why would a simple process like this not work? or some simple variation off this (since i am sure i am missing something as i typed this off the top of my head in 2 minutes..lol) it is not complicated at all. there still is a little "randomness" in the process.. and multiple owners would get the spot they want.. or, at the very least.. get very near that spot.

lets be honest... it wont change much. people will still draft bad, have bad luck, get bad injuries and the same things that determined winning and losing in fantasy football will apply. only now owners will feel better going into drafts from THINKING they are in the spot they covet...

why would this not work?

PLEASE someone address something i said just once.. i want to feel popular and accepted in the group...lol

Greg Ambrosius

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:02 am

Anything is possible Renman. I believe the original idea was to add more strategy to the draft position selection and thus spending your valuable FAAB money on a desired draft position is another level of strategy. Just asking for a draft position that you WANT doesn't add to the competition.

If the NFFC ever does a draft selection process, there will be a strategic way of doing it involved and enough of a timeframe to do it right. We wouldn't announce picks on the day of the draft as I believe the majority of our players want a few days to prepare for their draft position.

I'm open to all ideas, including having my daughter or Tom pick the names out of a hat again in 2005!!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:52 am

Originally posted by renman:
why would this not work?

PLEASE someone address something i said just once.. i want to feel popular and accepted in the group...lol i'm headed to eastern pa this weekend. gotta visit some friends. which city you located at?

[ October 21, 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:03 am

Originally posted by UFS:
Picking up Droughns, Moore, and heck, maybe even Griese, and making moves like bidding $61 on all 3 FA QB's when a team doesn't have a bye week QB are far more important than the draft in the long run.interesting you brought this up. the QB part. was that part of the ideal strategy? you know, i didn't even bid on breeze. i imagine you were putting in on him, but i was hoping someone else would have trumped you...which is what happened.

Why do you keep wanting to make this into a UFS owner against NFFC owner thing? John, read your quote below. You are trying to use UFS data to support your opinion. I’m just completing the circle. Btw, your data is flawed as it relates to this event. I might venture to say, it’s meaningless, but I won’t go that far. I don’t have time to expand on that right now. Hopefully this weekend. Thanks for the discussion. Interesting indeed. Always nice to know how the “stats” are compiled.

The data from 20 years of UFS
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

fandango

Week 6 Top 30

Post by fandango » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:16 am

the problem with serpentine drafts is that half the teams will not be happy with their draft position...they will complain about it, talk about it, and use it as an excuse for losing....these inherent difficulties associated with SERPETINE drafts are why AUCTION STYLE LEAGUES were invented...seeing that the NFFC only had 40 teams participate in the auction style draft, makes me wonder why??? AUCTION DRAFTS ARE GREAT!!! no luck involved, no complaints about draft position, fair to all, more stradegy involved....I have been doing auction drafts for years now, and hands down, this stlye of ROTO BLOWS AWAY SERPENTINE STYLE DRAFTS..... I encourage all you fantasy GM's in the serpentine leagues to try the NFFC Auction leagues next year!! ps...i bid $983 FAAB on lamar gordon!