Ryan Torain Official Debut Thread!

renman

Post by renman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:09 am

4D,

fair points and questions. Me personally? Yes.. I think it was worth holding him. I liked him going into this year but the pre season injury lead to him falling on everyones draft board and he just never ended up on one of my teams. Had I had a team that I was seeking a RB flier on later in the draft I would have grabbed him. It just never really worked out that way.

As I said in previous post.. I have 3 RB's stashed on my team who have limited value without someone else going down. I ignore previous injury history for the most part because injuries cannot be predicted with much accuracy. Value is value.. upside is upside.. I rather a guy who has explosive upside (a. johnson) who has an injury history over a guy who is always healthy but limited upside.

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:18 am

Originally posted by Renman:
4D,

fair points and questions. Me personally? Yes.. I think it was worth holding him. I liked him going into this year but the pre season injury lead to him falling on everyones draft board and he just never ended up on one of my teams. Had I had a team that I was seeking a RB flier on later in the draft I would have grabbed him. It just never really worked out that way.

As I said in previous post.. I have 3 RB's stashed on my team who have limited value without someone else going down. I ignore previous injury history for the most part because injuries cannot be predicted with much accuracy. Value is value.. upside is upside.. I rather a guy who has explosive upside (a. johnson) who has an injury history over a guy who is always healthy but limited upside. Understandable, which comes down to how you end up managing your team. You have decided to use roster spots for that potential. But I assume you are prepared for the possibility that any or all of those upside guys could give you nothing. What's the saying? Potential and $5 will get you a cup of latte?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:34 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
To me, it is completely not relevant how injury prone a guy was in the past when we are talking about the value of a POSSIBLE STARTING RB EMERGING IN WEEK 10 IN A FOURTEEN TEAM FANTASY LEAGUE.

His value is based on that... If we had a straight draft last week he would have gone in the 3rd-4th round given all things indicated he was soon to be the starting RB for the Broncos. Keep in mind this is a team with a prolific passing attack that would provide an RB with all kinds of room to run.

He had big value regardless of his past history. Fantasy football is about what a player is GOING TO DO in the future more than what has happened in the past. There are a ton of productive guys each week in the NFL who have a big injury history. movement of GG's FF respect based on this thread alone...
Waz -1 unit
Renman +1 unit
Go Getta -10 units
[/QUOTE]Oh crap, now I am only 9 units better than you! :(

[ November 07, 2008, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:48 am

Wasn't Torain owned in 100 percent of all leagues? Hasn't that been the case for over a month?

Bunch of idiots, those Torain owners...

renman

Post by renman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:48 am

4D,

Outside of the one game where Buckhalter was productive (in westbrooks absence) my approach has not worked. I fully expected Barber to break down (due to his running style) and Felix Jones to have value as the season progressed... Was wrong there too... We all come into the event with different strategies... sometimes they work.. sometimes not so much...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:55 am

All I know is Torain was looking damn good and I was looking forward to having a standout sleeper RB to help drive my main league team in the second half of the season. That didn't last long.

Oh well.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:49 am

All "OFF" the Torain Train - Ryan, Selvin and Michael. Sorry Andre, only 3 to a room

"IRbound, IRbound, IRbound..."

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:55 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
All I know is Torain was looking damn good and I was looking forward to having a standout sleeper RB to help drive my main league team in the second half of the season. That didn't last long.

Oh well. F'n bum, some say!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Old School

Post by Old School » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:23 am

Now I read from Rotoworld that due to Torain's extensive foot/knee injuries, the Broncos will no longer him as a a big part of their backfield plans
in the near or distant future.....very sad

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:50 am

Selvin Young get healthy by fantasy playoffs puhhhlease!!! -z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)