Playoff Handicapping - what do you think?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:43 am

I like to see how this season's play-offs play out. I'd think teams have earned a right for an edge. How much I'm not sure? If you increase it too much, some teams won't have a legitimate shot. I think however small the egde right now, it definitely could come into play.

Each team has competed in different leagues against different owners. You don't want to reward a team too much. It could parrallel the strength of each league. A more balance league a lower winning total. A higher score could be a weaker league.

I'd like to see how much total free agent money was left on the table from each league.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:46 am

at the present time, there is not enough prize money to go around to "deserving" teams. this includes awarding the top point regular season teams, 2nd place overall in the playoffs (only gets 15K), etc...
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:34 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
at the present time, there is not enough prize money to go around to "deserving" teams. this includes awarding the top point regular season teams, 2nd place overall in the playoffs (only gets 15K), etc... See, I can agree with you on some things! ;)

The overall points leader after 13 weeks in both seasons won their league titles for $5,000 each, so they did win something. They also carry the highest scoring average into the race for the $100K. You all are right, we could award that person another prize and create another race for cash, but it has to come from somewhere. I won't dispute that we should do something there, but I'm more interested in the points that are carried into the playoffs.

Is carrying your weekly scoring average the fairest way since everyone competed in separate leagues, where the drafts were different, free agent pickups were different and h2h records were different?

Or should we increase the power of the weekly scoring to give the regular season more credence? And if you agree that we should do that, should we do it at 1.5 times? 2 times your weekly scoring average?

I know my preference, but I'm looking for more opinions.

And as this event grows in numbers (remember, the prize pool was designed for 350 teams and we had only 280 this year, thus we're paying over 80 percent in prizes), the prize pool all around will continue to grow.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:49 am

Let everyone start at Ground Zero in Week 14. You already mentioned the arguments for why -- the differences in leagues are enough of a handicap for some to overcome.

hammer

Post by hammer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:34 am

Just keep that $100,000 in place!

I'm trying to convince some more of my local guys to join again next year and those six figures make such a psychological difference... plus I owe Vinny the Fish 90 grand (and I need something left over for cigarettes, gas and sunglasses)

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:23 am

Originally posted by the snake:
sorry, KOQ, SNAKE has to agree with a few others on this point...hate to be a simpleton, however, SNAKE adheres to the KISS rule on this one as well...SNAKE is always looking for ways to find improvement on just about anything but feels that sometimes you can actually "overthink" or "overdiscuss" a point until it almost becomes meaningless (a common occurence on some of these threads SNAKE might add - and SNAKE pleads guilty as well)...kind of like taking any single word from the English language and repeating it non-stop for five minutes or so until you don't even recognize the word anymore, much less the meaning...Greg has it right here (ISHO)...you know the old adage; if it ain't broke...well that has withstood the test of time for a reason...again; good luck to all those fortunate enough to have made it (except for Nag)...SNAKE ??????????

David Wooderson

Post by David Wooderson » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:27 am

You know you are on a board with deep thinkers when someone rocks a Lou Mannheim quote.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:42 am

Originally posted by the snake:
KOQ - please excuse SNAKE as SNAKE just had some oral (surgery), done on him and the nitrate and novacain have yet to wear off...SNAKE Whew, for a second there I was worried that you might be suffering from bi-polar disorder or something along those lines.