Playoff Handicapping - what do you think?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:00 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
quote:You can't have your cake and eat it too on this one. Either give the leader something good for his efforts and start from zero to keep it interesting and competitive in the playoffs or let the guy keep more of his hard earned advantage - say...50%.I'm trying to figure out why people keep wanting to put the #1 scorer for 13 weeks on a pedestal? He won his league, he got the $5k, and now he's qualified to win the $100k. [/QUOTE]I disagree with this Rick. First, it is not a guarantee that he won his league, as your league (Chicago 4) could be living proof of that. Second, to have the most points through 13 weeks of the season is VERY impressive.

I think a free entry the following year (along with what they won- which is most likely 5K) would suffice, but the most points through Week 13 DOES deserve something IMO.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:07 am

Stop the presses. I just had an inspirational thought. What Rick said about the season not being over after 13 weeks got me to thinking...

What if we start the playoffs on a level field. Let everyone have an equal chance by starting at zero.

Keep a running total of points on the leaderboard just like we currently do for the regular season, only let it continue to accumulate until the end of week 16.

If the person with the most points doesn't win the 100K then they get a free entry into next years event. If the person who wins the 100K also leads in points they get nothing additionally.

This is a minor change similar to the one Greg made this year that allowed 3 deserving teams into the playoffs.

What do you guys think? How about a little support for what I think is a really good idea for the NFFC.

Jeff

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:24 am

If the points leader through 13 weeks is also the points leader after 16 weeks, wouldn't that team be guaranteed the 100K?

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:30 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
If the points leader through 13 weeks is also the points leader after 16 weeks, wouldn't that team be guaranteed the 100K? Sorry! I skipped a step in my excitement. This would be a good application if we kept the handicapping, as the overall points leader wouldn't be guaranteed anything.

Thanks for pointing that out Glenn, although I do feel rather embarassed that I wrote it that way.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:35 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
If the points leader through 13 weeks is also the points leader after 16 weeks, wouldn't that team be guaranteed the 100K? Sorry! I skipped a step in my excitement. This would be a good application if we kept the handicapping, as the overall points leader wouldn't be guaranteed anything.

Thanks for pointing that out Glenn, although I do feel rather embarassed that I wrote it that way.
[/QUOTE]Hope I didn't embarrass you

I know that Team NEW scored more points than any other team last year (both through 13 and 16 weeks), yet finished 7th in the Championship League. That entitled him to a free year's play. Under your proposal, he would get TWO years of free play, correct?

[ December 08, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: King of Queens ]

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:53 am

quote:Originally posted by Route C:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by King of Queens:
[qb] Hope I didn't embarrass you

I know that Team NEW scored more points than any other team last year (both through 13 and 16 weeks), yet finished 7th in the Championship League. That entitled him to a free year's play. Under your proposal, he would get TWO years of free play, correct?
[/QUOTE]I guess as long as the points leader doesn't leave with nothing that's my objective. It appears my idea is sounding dumber and dumber all the time. :rolleyes:

Could be that it's impossible for the points leader to walk away empty handed. I forgot about the payout going down so far.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:06 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by King of Queens:
[qb] Hope I didn't embarrass you

[/QUOTE]I guess as long as the points leader doesn't leave with nothing that's my objective. It appears my idea is sounding dumber and dumber all the time. :rolleyes:

Could be that it's impossible for the points leader to walk away empty handed. I forgot about the payout going down so far.
[/QUOTE]No, it's possible alright. Team NEW had a terrible Week 14 (117.40 points scored), but rebounded nicely in Weeks 15 (177.80) and 16 (172.85). Even with his scoring advantage, he needed those two good weeks to finish 7th -- only 6 points ahead of the 9th place team who got nothing.

Your point is not dumb, it's actually a very good suggestion. I don't think anyone wants the Regular Season Points Champ to come away with nothing "extra" to show for the accomplishment. How does this sound: if the Weeks 1-13 Points Champ does not finish among the Top 8 in the Championship Round, that owner is entitled to a free entry in the following year's main event.

Team NEW and Gantze Machers -- if you guys are out there, I'm sure your opinion would be welcome on this subject.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:42 pm

FWIW in the "other" contest they instituted a ten place payout for the high scores for the regular season after last year.

(tell them your sad story 3INTBOY)

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:56 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Route C:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by King of Queens:
[qb]
[/QUOTE]How does this sound: if the Weeks 1-13 Points Champ does not finish among the Top 8 in the Championship Round, that owner is entitled to a free entry in the following year's main event.

[/QUOTE]That's what I meant to say. :D