Playoff Handicapping - what do you think?

Tested

Post by Tested » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:52 pm

KOQ...that story about Team NEW really underscores how fragile these playoffs can be. The guy has a great 15 weeks of Fantasy Football, but one sub-par week during the playoffs put a hole in his boat. The only way to win these playoffs (consolation or Championship) is to put together 3 great weeks in a row. Otherwise, you don't have a chance.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:13 am

Originally posted by Tested:
The only way to win these playoffs (consolation or Championship) is to put together 3 great weeks in a row. Otherwise, you don't have a chance. BINGO

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:41 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Tested:
The only way to win these playoffs (consolation or Championship) is to put together 3 great weeks in a row. Otherwise, you don't have a chance. BINGO [/QUOTE]We realized that after last year. We went into the draft with a big emphasis on the final 3 weeks of the regular season and the 3 week playoff run. It's tough to strike a good balance though as you have to get there first.

It does make a strong case for the point champion though as any team could have a couple of bad weeks during the year. It's just random luck though as to whether you have those bad ones in weeks 2 and 8 or 2 and 14 - what a difference a week can make!

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Tested:
The only way to win these playoffs (consolation or Championship) is to put together 3 great weeks in a row. Otherwise, you don't have a chance. BINGO [/QUOTE]We realized that after last year. We went into the draft with a big emphasis on the final 3 weeks of the regular season and the 3 week playoff run. It's tough to strike a good balance though as you have to get there first.

It does make a strong case for the point champion though as any team could have a couple of bad weeks during the year. It's just random luck though as to whether you have those bad ones in weeks 2 and 8 or 2 and 14 - what a difference a week can make!
[/QUOTE]Don't think I forgot about you, Jeff. You were 2nd overall in points through 13 weeks, and wound up in 12th place in the 2004 Championship League. Thus, you got nothing extra despite an extraordinary regular season -- I don't think that's fair either.

I guess if we're going to give bonuses for regular season performance, the line has to be drawn somewhere. That was exactly the case this year, where the teams that finished 29th and 30th overall didn't make the playoffs, but teams 1-28 and 31-34 did. Hell, teams 148 and 198 made it, too!

Lesson learned: Someone is always going to be left out in the cold.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:44 am

Thanks for the press Glenn. I guess all of us want the perfect season with plenty of guarantees. It's tough to "come close" only to fall short in the end.

Lots of people have good teams this year but many will leave the playoffs with nothing additional to their league prize. Maybe Greg has it where it should be to begin with. Maybe a small tweek here or there along the way is in order.

At any rate, I love this format and the NFFC has become more than a contest to me over the last 2 years. The friends I've made along the way (including you and the NY gang) have made this a great experience. What can I say - I'm a lifer.

[ December 09, 2005, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Route C ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:12 am

At any rate, I love this format and the NFFC has become more than a contest to me over the last 2 years. The friends I've made along the way (including you and the NY gang) have made this a great experience. What can I say - I'm a lifer. Ditto. Now help me explain this concept to my wife :D

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:13 am

The friends I've made along the way (including you and the NY gang) have made this a great experience. i guess i'm out now :(
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:19 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
The friends I've made along the way (including you and the NY gang) have made this a great experience. i guess i'm out now :( [/QUOTE]Screw that Vegas nonsense -- you should be joining the New York scene immediately. One out of four NFBC/NFFC appearances does not cut it.

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:42 am

quote:Originally posted by Route C:
At any rate, I love this format and the NFFC has become more than a contest to me over the last 2 years. The friends I've made along the way (including you and the NY gang) have made this a great experience. What can I say - I'm a lifer. Ditto. Now help me explain this concept to my wife :D [/QUOTE]This was my first year, but I too plan on being a "lifer"

Maybe we can all help each other out and make some calls to each others wives :D and let them know how important it is to have all return.

Though I am sure once you win 100k it won't take much to convince your mate to let you return ;)
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:48 am

Screw that Vegas nonsense -- you should be joining the New York scene immediately. One out of four NFBC/NFFC appearances does not cut it. i hear you, but with greg buying beers and UFS buying dinner, it's tough to resist going to vegas

[ December 09, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?