Live Chat With scoutPRO's Nelson Sousa: Wednesday, 7 p.m. EST

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:08 am

Mike Anderson was the last fullback to make an impact in the fantasy world. Before him, I used to love taking a FB later on and sneaking him in my lineup when I needed a quick fix from a bye or injury. Guys like Mike Alstott and Darryl Johnson have helped me win some games where my opponents thought I was nuts for playing them. Hell, I even used Jerald Sowell on the Jets a few years ago and he helped me win some money. Is this a position that is extinct in fantasy, or is there a chance that a guy like LeRon McClain or another FB can broing back some old school smash mouth fantasy points?
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 am

Nelson, what's your take on the Panthers re-signing DeWill? Is it a signal they don't think JStew can stay healthy? And is Mike Goodson draftable now? I liked Goodson late, but now, I don't know...maybe only if I owned JStew or DeWill.
@RedRyder

Getpaddled

Post by Getpaddled » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:13 am

Sounds like the Colts can't afford Addai.. With Addai the only good Pass Blocking RB the Colts have are you worried Manning will take a lot shots this year via the blitz? Who emerges as the Colts RB if Addai doesn't come back.

Who has better fantasy season J. Nelson or J. Ford?

I think Starks out scores Grant this year for the Packers... agree or disagree? why?

and lastly, Who is your sleeper of the year for RB and WR?

Thanx in advance
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:19 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Mike Anderson was the last fullback to make an impact in the fantasy world. Before him, I used to love taking a FB later on and sneaking him in my lineup when I needed a quick fix from a bye or injury. Guys like Mike Alstott and Darryl Johnson have helped me win some games where my opponents thought I was nuts for playing them. Hell, I even used Jerald Sowell on the Jets a few years ago and he helped me win some money. Is this a position that is extinct in fantasy, or is there a chance that a guy like LeRon McClain or another FB can broing back some old school smash mouth fantasy points? The NFL goes through phases and right now the FB has been replaced with more 3-WR sets, TE sets and the time-share backfield. Almost every team wants 2 good RBs instead of carrying a true FB. I don't see it changing for a while, especially when I believe that we are going to see more teams running 2-TE sets. You can thank Belichick for that...... :D

Marcel Reese is the only FB that would get me excited if there was an injury to Bush or MC.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:28 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
Nelson, what's your take on the Panthers re-signing DeWill? Is it a signal they don't think JStew can stay healthy? And is Mike Goodson draftable now? I liked Goodson late, but now, I don't know...maybe only if I owned JStew or DeWill. I believe the owner and GM love D-Will and were going to try hard to sign him no matter what. The money given to him shows part of that, but that was a lot of money even if you love a person.......... I think the other reason was a little bit of both them feeling J-Stew can't be trusted as the lead back and also protecting Newton this since it looks like they will roll with him.

My affection for Goodson just went out the window after this signing........

Mike Goodson (RB) I CAR I – In the early part of his career, he saw an occasional carry while riding the bench behind Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams. Last year he finally had a chance to start a couple of games and he showed his skill set. Most think of him as a third-down back with some speed, but I think he could carry the load if given the chance. Goodson started weeks 10 – 12 and ran for 275 yards on 59 carries (4.66). He caught 16 passes for 125 yards. Goodson ran with power and speed. He’ll never jump in front of Jonathan Stewart, but he’s one injury away from being an attractive fantasy starter in PPR leagues. I’m sure the Panthers are going to struggle on offense which will suppress the starting RB value in 2011. This year Goodson will see action on 3rd down and passing situations. He’ll fill in for Stewart when he needs a breather. I don’t think his name will be too flashy at the draft table and he has a chance to go undervalued. If I drafted Stewart, I would want to draft Goodson as my handcuff. In the past the Panthers have had a solid offensive line. I think they will be healthier than they were in 2010. I’ll go with 150 carries for 675 yards, 45 receptions for 375, and 4 TD’s.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:01 am

Originally posted by Letter Pusher:
Sounds like the Colts can't afford Addai.. With Addai the only good Pass Blocking RB the Colts have are you worried Manning will take a lot shots this year via the blitz? Who emerges as the Colts RB if Addai doesn't come back.

Who has better fantasy season J. Nelson or J. Ford?

I think Starks out scores Grant this year for the Packers... agree or disagree? why?

and lastly, Who is your sleeper of the year for RB and WR?

Thanx in advance ANSWER 1:

There is no way the Colts go into the season without a RB they can trust in pass-protect. Carter is very underrated in pass protection, because he didn't spend too much time on 3rd down at Syracuse. He would need to gain Manning's trust, but it's complicated because Manning probably doesn't see the field in the preseason.

I have never been impressed with Addai and think a guy like Snelling could go there and be a great fantasy RB in that offense. To me the move is let Addai go and sign someone more talented, but with the limited off-season I think the Colts will try to keep Addai who is familiar with their scheme and pass-protect responsibilities.

Carter has a real chance to emerge as the full-time back during the season.

Delone Carter (RB) I IND I – The Colts RB situation is in transition. Joseph Addai could be headed out of town. Donald Brown has been unimpressive in his NFL career never mind the various injuries. The natural progression is Delone Carter. The highlights were limited on him. He is small in stature (5’9”), but he has size (222 Lbs.). He is more quick than fast. The Colts like to have their backs involved in the passing game. Carter only had 28 catches in 3+ seasons at Syracuse. Donald Brown struggles in pass protection which will open up the door for someone to be the 3rd down back this year with no Addai. Carter is a pretty good pass protector, but his limited skill set may keep him from earning a valuable role this year. Last year he rushed for 1233 yards (5.3 YPC). The Colts are a contender every year and I find it hard to believe Carter will be the number two back this year. I think the Colts will sign a free agent which means Carter will have to jump Brown in the food chain to have any value in 2011.

ANSWER 2:

Nelson hands down. I just finished telling Tom.K that he will have a better year than jennings.

ANSWER 3:

I agree.

JAMES STARKS – GB -RB
Starks started off the season on the PUP list with a hamstring injury. He was activated in week 8, but didn’t play in a game until week 12 as the Packers brought him along slowly in practice. Starks also missed his senior year in college because of a torn labrum. That is basically 2 years of no football, which would help explain his modest rushing totals in 3 games (101 yards) and average (3.5). In the playoffs Starks became a workhorse for Green Bay rushing for a total of 315 yards. Starks is a big back at 6-2 218 and based on his college resume he can catch the ball out of the backfield (127 Rec in 3 years). Going into 2011 Starks looks like he will have to compete with Ryan Grant for carries. The Packers also drafted RB Alex Green out of Hawaii as a possible replacement for free agent Brandon Jackson. At first glance it seems like a crowded backfield, but I think Starks has the advantage over the other two. Despite two 1200 yard seasons, Grant was never that talented of a running back and he lacks speed. He is now coming off ankle surgery which could slow him down a bit. Green is known for his hands and ability in the passing game, but he is still a rookie and will need to earn his share of playing time. I believe that Starks has the skill set to be a 3-down back and the coaches love him. I will be watching training camp closely on this battle. If I had to bet, my money is on Starks emerging from the pack as the most valuable.

RYAN GRANT – GB -RB
Grant has proven to be a capable RB with the Packers over the last 3 years, but last year was a lost season. He went down with an ankle injury in week 1 and was placed on IR for the rest of the season. He has had plenty of time to recover and he even said that he could have played in the playoffs if he wasn’t on IR. He will not be alone at running back this year now that James Starks is healthy. The two are expected to battle it out in training camp to see who will get the edge in snaps. One thing to be careful with is that it’s quite possible that Starks could out play him and convince the coaches’ enough to cut Grant and his hefty salary, but I am merely speculating. Grant doesn’t do anything exceptionally well and lacks the special talent that I think Starks has. If Grant proves to be healthy this could be a backfield to avoid as each could cancel each other out.

ANSWER 4:

Javon Ringer (RB) I TEN I – Last year I saw many fantasy owners trying to steal the Chris Johnson owners of their handcuff. Ringer has ability, but his skill set isn’t close to Johnson’s. Last year he touched the ball 58 times. His YPC was solid (4.7) and he made a couple of big plays. I’m sure Chris Johnson is going to holdout which will make Ringer have more value this year. The short training camp and the holdout will invite risk to Johnson. I think Ringer can have success in the NFL as a starting back. He just needs an opportunity. The Titans offensive line took a step back in 2010. The last two years Chris Johnson has touched the ball 408 and 360 times. For Ringer to have any fantasy value, he needs to find a way to get some of those carries. At best, he has the most value to the Chris Johnson owner. If Johnson does holdout, it will make it nearly impossible to pair the two together without giving up a high draft pick. CJ2K looks to be serious about holding out and if he does be ready to jump on Ringer in drafts.

SEYI AJIROTUTU – SD
Ryan Mathews’ teammate was an undrafted free agent who was signed to the practice squad last year. Ajirotutu got his chance in week 7 due to injuries at WR. He did nothing special the next 2 weeks, but the fireworks went off in week 9. In a tasty matchup vs. the lowly Texans secondary, Ajirotutu would explode for 4-111-2 and reward anyone who had him in their lineup because of injuries or byes. At 6-3 211 with speed to burn and playing for the Chargers high powered offense, he needs to be on people’s radars this year. He is still a little wet behind the ears, but has the skill set that you look for in a high upside player. If the Chargers can’t sign WR Malcom Floyd or something happens with V-Jax………………Watch out! All I need to give you is Example A: Arian Foster UFA – Talent + System + Opportunity = Gold

nolencole

Post by nolencole » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:37 am

Hey Franchise

What is your city of choice this year come Sept 03?
Just wanted to commend you on wanting to share your knowledge of the game...

1.What RBs and WRs do you have on your radar between the 3rd and 7th rounds? Two from each category would be sufficient.

I will hang up and listen,
alabama abandoned
a.k.a. ALABAMA ABANDONED

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Originally posted by A.A:
Hey Franchise

What is your city of choice this year come Sept 03?
Just wanted to commend you on wanting to share your knowledge of the game...

1.What RBs and WRs do you have on your radar between the 3rd and 7th rounds? Two from each category would be sufficient.

I will hang up and listen,
alabama abandoned ANSWER 1:

Probably NY

ANSWER 2:

I would love for Foster,Charles and the Johnson WRs to fall to the 3rd round.

Honestly, I will need to do more drafts to decide who I would specifically like to target in rounds 3-7.

nolencole

Post by nolencole » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Good answer, keep that game face on...

see you in the playoffs
A.A.
a.k.a. ALABAMA ABANDONED

telestar

Post by telestar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Do you think Kolb has any real chance to be a good fantasy QB in AZ?

What about Emmanuel Sanders - do you think he can be relevant in PITT?

And finally, if you had to choose between Romo and Schaub, who would you select and why?

Thanks very much