Were You Happy With Your Draft Slot?

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:47 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:
The jest of this is how to make drafting fair.
The first year Barber was the man. Not a first pick. This year its LT and now its time to change the format for draft picks. Next year I hope the top guy was never drafted in the first round.
If your not going to auction the spots than its a joke. Apparently you're dillusional, as I see nowhere on Glenns post the mention of changing anything.
Maybe you should go back in your room until you learn how to play nice. :rolleyes:

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:21 am

Not getting the 1st,2nd,or 3rd pick, I was very happy to have received the 12th slot. I am one who prefers to pick back to back, or at least near that.

Took J.Jones first. Contemplated taking Jordan on way back but settled for Westbrook. In hindsight I would've taken Westbrook first and Jordan 2nd. Got A.Johnson in 3rd and who I think was the steal in our draft: S.Smith in the 4th. Hindsight here, I would've taken Smith instead of Johnson...and then Boldin in the 4th.

Biggest mistake was taking Vick over Palmer(even though the whole summer I planned on taking Palmer!)...Then another steal; Shockey in the 6th...Then Stallworth(serviceable) and then S.Davis in the 8th. Davis was quite the steal earlier in the year when he knew how to find the end zone. After them, well not so well...Pats D and Vinatieri killed me.

Of course, I think anyone in their right mind would've wanted the 1-3 picks. Well I should correct myself, anyone who is smart enough to draft LT,Alexander, and Edge. I would've loved to have stole any of those 3 later than they should've gone.

Our league saw Daunte go 2nd overall...the team then proceeded to get Barlow in the 2nd round and Burleson on the wraparound!!! Needless to say, his season didn't go to well.

Others, as well as I, have stated earlier...unless you had picks 1-3...it really didn't matter which position you drafted from this year. Many players were #5 picks in some leagues and #12 picks in others.

It seems as though this year, the later picks such as Galloway/Anderson/Palmer/and Glenn and Moss to some degree really helped A LOT of teams excel this year.

Does anybody have any thoughts on where they would prefer to draft next year??? Provided you don't receive the 1/2 picks?? Do you think there will be as big of a dropoff as there was this year after pick #3? How far up your draft boards have players like Palmer and Jordan risen?
Or how far have players like Holmes/McAllister/McGahee/Daunte fallen?

And if Kentucky Derby is enacted...will this drastically change you draft strategy?
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:56 am

If I were picking spots right now, I would want to be 1-4 or 12-13..........but a lot may change between now and next September

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:22 pm

I wasn't happy with my draft slot but that wasn't until right after the draft. I think that's more of an attribute to how well my league drafting. A lot of the players I wanted were drafted right before I could get them. Of course, before the draft, to be frank, I was fine with the anchor spot (14).

I think it's easy for many to say they're not happy after the fact. After all, hindsight is 20/20.

-z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:36 am

i'll bite.

i always want to have the first pick. the advantage is enormous IMO. you get the best RB, and you get two TOP wr (if you want them). that's a GREAT starting point. this year there were clearly 3 rb's (LT2, SA, Edge) above everyone else. in an event where owners throw down $1,250 and almost every choice is left up to the owner (who to draft, who to start, which FA to pickup/drop) my best chance to get one of those three players was a random pull from the KP hat. :( of course, i knew that going in and was okay it with, otherwise i wouldn't have played.

tom pulled my draft slot...#5. i thought okay, i can make this work. maybe edge would slip to me, which would make me very happy. but that didn't happen in my league. looking at the top 28 teams, the #5 pick didn't work for ANYONE. i can see why...

16 out of the top 28 scoring teams had either LT2, SA, or Edge. THAT IS 57%.

getting one of those three players was a major key (not the only one) to having a top scoring team.

[ December 10, 2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:11 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
i always want to have the first pick. the advantage is enormous IMO. you get the best RB, and you get two TOP wr (if you want them).The guy picking first doesn't always get this option -- in New York 6, the Big 5 (Moss, Holt, Johnson, Harrison and Owens) were all gone by pick 27. Many of the other Tomlinson owners had the opportunity to draft one or even two of these WRs.

The league you get placed in is a huge factor that you have no control over. Chalk it up as being part of the luck factor.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:29 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
i always want to have the first pick. the advantage is enormous IMO. you get the best RB, and you get two TOP wr (if you want them).The guy picking first doesn't always get this option -- in New York 6, the Big 5 (Moss, Holt, Johnson, Harrison and Owens) were all gone by pick 27. Many of the other Tomlinson owners had the opportunity to draft one or even two of these WRs.

The league you get placed in is a huge factor that you have no control over. Chalk it up as being part of the luck factor.
[/QUOTE]let's get the facts straight...that owner coulda selected chad johnson at 2.14 or 3.1, but chose nate burleson instead. he still finished in the top 100...showing the value of having the #1 pick.

a lot of tomlinson and SA owners got a free pass this year

[ December 10, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:36 am

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

[/QUOTE]let's get the facts straight...that owner coulda selected chad johnson at 2.14 or 3.1, but chose nate burleson instead. he still finished in the top 100...showing the value of having the #1 pick.

a lot of tomlinson and SA owners got a free pass this year
[/QUOTE]I didn't have that option in New York 2, either.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:36 am

a lot of tomlinson and SA owners got a free pass this year For sure.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:38 am

It's rather interesting that only TWO teams have SA in the playoff round.
http://nffcboards.stats.com/cgi-bin/ult ... 1;t=000907

If this magical 57% is the end all to success, why is SA only 7% of it? And LT and EG 50% of it?

Why is that?

He's 2.0 (per game) behind LT (12 teams) and 2.5 ahead on EG (6 teams)

Moving on...
Can we find anything in constest ADP?
4) Holmes - bust
5) Manning - bust at this pick
6) McAllister - bust
7) McGahee - bust
9) J.Jones - bust
10) K.Jones -bust
12) C.Dillon - bust
13) R.Moss - bust
14) D.Culpepper - bust
15) J.Lewis - bust
22) T.Owens -bust

In the first round alone there were 9-10 players (Lewis was 1st rd in 8 of 20) that were serious busts.

This happens just about every year though with the first round. The only difference this year is that picks 1-2-3 went pretty much untouched with injuries. Other years, it's been 4-8-12, 1-6-10, the combo changes every year. I like BBDS, but I bet the first year it happens, 1-2-3 all go down like 4-6-12-14 this year. This board will light up for sure.

Now the RB-WR-WR is a great strategy. If you get lucky.

13) Moss -bust
22) Owens - semi bust
24) Holt - nice, but went 26-27-28 3 times (1-27 2-28)
26) Harrison - nice but 1-2-3 need luck to get both of the above (26 to 31 11 times)
27) C.Johnson - almost as much luck to get 2. (26 to 31 11 times) (MH/CJ went 26to31 in 8 leagues)
30) J.Walker - ADP 32.6 Only went in 2nd rd twice. He did go to 7 teams 1-2-3 in rd 3. 3 of them #2.
33) R.Wayne - no 1-2-3 team. 32 highest pick.
35) A.Johnson - bust
36) N.Burleson - #1 bust IMO any position

So still, no concrete info on why only two SA teams are in the finals.

I'm left with only one conclusion. The 1-2-3 teams that are in are only in because they did a great job of drafting guys like Carson Palmer, Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Joey Galloway, Santana Moss, A.Boldin, P.Burress, A.Gates, J.Shockey, C.Cooley, N.rakers, INDY-D, CHI-D.

That's why #1-2-3 is so good. A ton of injuries to other #1's this year and excellent drafts by those that made it.

[ December 10, 2005, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: UFS ]
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.