Can't Make Live Events? Call Us

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:31 am

There are other points to be considered here as well...

What happens if all leagues are full and someone comes in late and can attend the event live? Does he get shut out and someone who is doing a phone draft gets preference?

The ability to put the phone on mute and discuss whatever you want with a co-manager is a pretty big advantage over being live and having to whisper and point.

Plus, there are "poker tells" that happen live that can't be picked up drafting beside a phone drafter.

Just more points to consider.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:32 am

I appreciate all of the concerns about us adding the phone draft and "allowing" folks to draft from the comfort of their homes rather than join all of us crazies at the live events, but after five years I'd think all of you would trust me enough by now to know that we're not trying to undercut our live events or make it less of an experience for all of our dedicated customers. As you can see, I'll list and introduce everyone who I've allowed on the phone and explained their situation. We'll keep a good handle on this and make it work on Draft Day. In the past we've always had phone drafters whether it was because of the hurricane or because of players' work schedules and it's always worked out.

All I'm doing now is introducing the players earlier and letting folks know that this is an option we'll use if needed. And those who sign up early are guaranteed to be in full leagues, so nobody should worry about that.

I appreciate Mark's well-thought out list of advantages and trust me I've done that list already and then some in my head. I think there are disadvantages to drafting off-site, obviously, but that's not for discussion here. Right now I see a need to offer an off-site option to allow some folks to participate in our events and we hope to get all of those folks in the event. Nobody gets on that list unless I feel they absolutely can't make our live event and seriously want to be part of our growing event. And you'll see who that person is and why they are on the phone within our introduction writeups.

You've trusted me to do the right things before, so I guess I'm asking for some trust here as well. It will be seamless, as most folks know, but it sure makes for a good conversation piece during a slow time in July. That's okay, I guess. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:36 am

Greg,

When you say everyone who signs up early is guaranteed to be in full leagues, does that mean a league full of live drafters?

Because, I signed up early last year and had at least 1 phone drafter in my league.

Just trying to clarify what you mean by "guaranteed to be in a full league".

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:52 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Greg,

When you say everyone who signs up early is guaranteed to be in full leagues, does that mean a league full of live drafters?

Because, I signed up early last year and had at least 1 phone drafter in my league.

Just trying to clarify what you mean by "guaranteed to be in a full league". Yes, we did spread out the phone drafters in Orlando last year as we didn't want to put all of them in one league. That did force us to have one caller in each league, I believe. Obviously Orlando is a unique situation depending on how many leagues we can actually form there as we're doing all we can to expand this fourth city while still realizing that if we have to fill in from another city or with phone drafters we're keeping the competitive balance strong and not making it a bad experience for our members.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:22 pm

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
I can tell you that I don't want to be the guy sitting at a live draft with the chance for open tables on each side of me being used by phone-drafters. That would suck!Why? It gives you tons of more room!!

I had this in the Baseball Super draft and it was great.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:43 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
I can tell you that I don't want to be the guy sitting at a live draft with the chance for open tables on each side of me being used by phone-drafters. That would suck!Why? It gives you tons of more room!!

I had this in the Baseball Super draft and it was great.
[/QUOTE]Because if I wanted extra room, I'd stay home myself. I go to the event to be with the other drafters, not to have extra room.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:41 am

To be honest I would like alittle more elbow room. Russ question for You. Do you really want to sit that close to JohnZ? You mid-west guys. :D

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:01 am

Regarding the phone-in issue...

Here is my situation: It looks like my work is going to prevent my travel to Vegas this year. I am very disappointed. I have informed Greg of my situation and asked to be considered for the phone option.

Does it provide an advantage?: I am looking for any benefit I can. Maybe it will provide some sort of edge. But, I doubt it. I will be using the same list and it is unlikely that breaking news will hit in the middle of the draft that elevates Charlie Batch to the number one fantasy QB. More likely, I will be less able to predict my opponents selections. Time will tell. Perhaps phone in callers could have a Kentucky Derby pentalty or something if this is really a concern.

How I feel about it: I am very happy that I will still get to play. But, I also feel like I have already lost out on the best part of the NFFC. I have never won (yet!), so, the only sure thing is the fun of a Vegas weekend. Seeing some friends I have made in the league. And the rush of drafting with the best. Last year I was in a great league with some awsome opponents. I would like to shake their hands and say "great season". That will not happen on the phone.

Bottom line: I need and want this option. I do not want it to become the norm. I do think on the phone drafters should have a small penalty. I suggest that they get no #1 KDS selection. I want this rule, not because I think there is an adnvantage to drafting from home, but rather because I don't want the live event to slowly become extinct!

Comments?
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:08 am

MY COMMENT BLUE FOOT IS THAT SHOULD PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT IN A GOOD FINANCIAL SITUATION TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD EXPENSIVE AIRLINE TICKETS, HOTEL ROOMS, FOOD AND OTHER SIDE COSTS BE LEFT OUT OF THE FUN?

WITH PEOPLE STRUGGLING FINANCIALLY AND STILL WANT TO MAKE THE NFFC/NBC A SUCCESS BY DRAFTING FROM HOME, I SEE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT AND THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY TYPE OF PUNISHMENT. NOW IF YOU WANT TO HAVE LIVE DRAWINGS TO GIVE AWAY FREE-BEES THEN MAYBE THEY COULD LOSE THAT OPPORTUNITY BUT OTHER THAN THAT THEY SHOULD NOT BE ANY SHORTER THAN A LIVE TEAM.

I THINK AT THE END OF THE DAY EVERYONE WOULD WANT TO DRAFT LIVE AND SEE THEIR BUDDIES BUT EVERYONE IS JUST NOT IN THE MONETARY POSITION TO DO IT.

[ July 21, 2008, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:55 am

3. If my pre-game meal doesn't agree with me, I can make a quick trip to the restroom whenever I want and my buddies can keep track of the draft. At a live event, the trip to the restroom will take longer and if I don't have a co-manager, I'll fall behind. Trying to wait until the next break, while trying to hold it in, is distracting and will take away from my concentration.
You can even take your laptop into the crapper and not miss a beat!
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King