Live Chat With Greg: Wednesday At 3 PM ET

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:01 am

Okay, with any luck we'll have a clear picture of the labor situation by Wednesday and can finally talk some football. As I stated yesterday, Tom and I will host several Live Chats during the next six weeks to talk about football and fantasy football in general. We really missed putting out a magazine this year, so I guess we'll have to impart our knowledge and projections and wise-guy remarks to the NFFC Message Boards. Come and join us in the fun.

Tom is taking a few days off this week, but I'm ready to talk some football with you on Wednesday at 3 pm ET. Heck, I have a family draft this weekend and need your help more than you need mine. Let's talk some football and see if we can help each other. I'll gladly jump in when I can early this week to answer any early questions, so post them here as you see fit. Then on Wednesday we'll try to get together for a live Q&A and get this ball rolling. I'm excited about this upcoming season and these next three weeks of free agent signings and trades will be like nothing we've ever seen before. It should be a BLAST!!

Okay, I'm here this week and ready to rock 'n roll. Bring on the questions. Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 am

Hi Greg,

As the NFBC creates their ADP and rankings of players can you tell me if these are designed toward the 12 or 14 team games? With the difference in PPR for running backs I'm sure most will have different rankings for the two formats. I was just wondering if the NFBC will address within their rankings as well.

Thanks.
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:50 am

Originally posted by Money:
Hi Greg,

As the NFBC creates their ADP and rankings of players can you tell me if these are designed toward the 12 or 14 team games? With the difference in PPR for running backs I'm sure most will have different rankings for the two formats. I was just wondering if the NFBC will address within their rankings as well.

Thanks. Good point Joe. Most of the data for the NFFC ADPs have been 14-team formats; I think we've had one 12-team NFFC '60 so far. But you are right, these should be separated and I'll request that now with STATS. We should have two sets of ADP set up before we get too deep into the drafting season.

Thanks for the heads up. GREAT POINT.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Old School

Post by Old School » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:48 am

Greg

What do u think about this latest?

Albert Breer of NFL.com writes the players’ pursuit of $320 million for lost benefits last year has emerged as the biggest stumbling block.

Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, appearing on PFT Live explained why it may be a thorny issue.

“The quote unquote lost benefit comps of 2010 . . . this is absurd. You can’t lose something you didn’t have. The players were not due that money. That money as part of the old CBA was not due to be paid,” Kaplan told Florio. “They got an uncapped season and the owners saved $10 million-per-club in health care benefits. I don’t get where that issue is coming from.”

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:07 am

Originally posted by Old School:
Greg

What do u think about this latest?

Albert Breer of NFL.com writes the players’ pursuit of $320 million for lost benefits last year has emerged as the biggest stumbling block.

Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, appearing on PFT Live explained why it may be a thorny issue.

“The quote unquote lost benefit comps of 2010 . . . this is absurd. You can’t lose something you didn’t have. The players were not due that money. That money as part of the old CBA was not due to be paid,” Kaplan told Florio. “They got an uncapped season and the owners saved $10 million-per-club in health care benefits. I don’t get where that issue is coming from.” Joe, if you want me to admit that there is greed on both sides I'll bite. Both sides are greedy right down to the end and I've always felt that. I think what we are seeing here is that the players have heard that they blew it by not holding out for the big windfall from the David Doty TV ruling that could come against the owners and this is another way for the players to ask for a good resolution to agree to dissolve that dispute. I can't imagine this will hold things up, but you never know.

If they go through this week without a deal, then we've got problems.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 am

I'm going to assume that these idiots trying to close this deal, WILL close the deal this week.

If they do...Denver Broncos...Food for thought.

Word is that D.Williams will be brought in to take Moreno's job. Not great for morale, unless Williams produces immediately and often. Word is that Tebow is going to take Orton's job and Orton will be shipped out. Not great for morale(especially not great for LLoyd), unless Tebow surprises everyone with his passing abilities. These are drastic changes to team chemistry. If this team doesn't click in the first couple of weeks, I foresee an ugly, ugly season for the Broncos.

What do you think?
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
I'm going to assume that these idiots trying to close this deal, WILL close the deal this week.

If they do...Denver Broncos...Food for thought.

Word is that D.Williams will be brought in to take Moreno's job. Not great for morale, unless Williams produces immediately and often. Word is that Tebow is going to take Orton's job and Orton will be shipped out. Not great for morale(especially not great for LLoyd), unless Tebow surprises everyone with his passing abilities. These are drastic changes to team chemistry. If this team doesn't click in the first couple of weeks, I foresee an ugly, ugly season for the Broncos.

What do you think? I agree with you Marc and you almost have to wonder how the Broncos with an entirely new coaching staff and new offensive and defensive coordinators can come together in such a short time frame. They are definitely one of the teams I'm scared of because of the lockout. Heck, the Carolina Panthers with a new HC, new OC, new DC and new skill position players are another team you have to be careful with. Great names on these teams, but how in the heck does an offense learn the system and gel in such a short time? I'm not sure it's possible.

I think DeAngelo in Denver would help his fantasy value and would obviously move Jonathan Stewart up on the RB rankings. I hope that move happens. I'm also one who believes in Tebow and I'd love to see him take the helm in Denver. I think he's going to be okay and a worthy QB2 this year. This team will never go to the playoffs with Orton, so why not build around Tebow and see what he can do? I'd definitely go that route.

Let's start getting these free agent signings moving. The fun lies ahead.

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:41 am

greg - who is this year's Arian Foster? 6-9th round pick early in preseason to 2nd rounder come Sept

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:01 am

Originally posted by DoubleG:
greg - who is this year's Arian Foster? 6-9th round pick early in preseason to 2nd rounder come Sept Man, if I knew that I'd be on the other side of the table in this contest!! :D I'd be winning $100,000 rather than paying it out.

Foster was a 6th-9th round pick in the July drafts, but he kept moving up when training camps opened and throughout the pre-season. He was a third round pick in a hurry and jumped to the second round by Draft Day. I'm not sure there's anyone in this year's draft like Foster, but there might be some candidates who can excel above their ADPs right now.

The lockout will hurt him along with all other rookies, but Miami RB Daniel Thomas currently has an ADP of 64 and I have a feeling that will be much higher by Draft Day. LeGarrette Blount has an ADP of 51 and he could also move up a bunch before Draft Day. Two guys in the third round who could excel if they can remain healthy are Jahvid Best (ADP of 37) and Ryan Matthews (ADP of 31). I'm sure once free agency takes off we'll have a few more obvious surprises, but these look like the best RB movers at this time.