Live Chat With Greg: Wednesday At 3 PM ET

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:13 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
quote:Originally posted by Liquid Hippo:
Hippo, I'll fill in for Greg until he comes back soon.

Jennings-83 receptions
[/QUOTE]Ain't happening, especially if Finley stays relatively healthy....and highly improbable if he doesn't. To date, Jenning's high water mark is 80 receptions, and I don't see him surpassing that this year.
Imo, he's probably the most over rated player consistently going in round 2. You can get similar production from WR's going 2-3 rounds later. He'll need to get another 12-13 TD's this year to remotely warrant his adp.....again, ain't happening.
Figure around 68-70 receptions with a healthy Finley.
[/QUOTE]I don't know how you can call Jennings over-rated as a player when he ranked fifth in NFFC scoring among wideouts and averaged 17.1 ppg. He had 12 TDs last year after being ignored early on. I agree with you that he might not get 80+ catches, but he's the home run threat with a chance for 1,200 yards receiving each year. He's very, very consistent and I think another season of 10+ TD catches is possible with Finley back. In fact, Finley is going to take the safety across the middle more often now and nobody is going to cover Jennings one-on-one deep. He's so good at separating and he catches tough passes in traffic like that beauty in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl on third and 10. To me, he's a solid second round WR pick and he could easily surpass my projections.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Erok

Post by Erok » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 am

CARSON PALMER

A.) CINCY STARTING QB IN 2011
B.) RETIRED
C.) ANOTHER TEAMS STARTING QB in 2011

Whaddya think?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:19 am

Originally posted by wahoo:
Hey Tom or Greg! Its my feeling that QB is a very deep position this year. That said what are your feelings about Stafford, Freeman, Kolb (as a cardinal), Ryan, and finally Bradford (stud when they sign a WR like maybe S Rice)? This list is interesting because Ryan, Freeman and Stafford are all among the Top 14 QBs being taken so far in NFFC online drafts. That means folks are picking these guys as their starting QBs, not QB2s who could surprise this year. Freeman is worthy of being a starting fantasy QB this year and I like Ryan a lot, especially with Julio Jones improving that offense. Stafford has the talent around him to excel, but obviously he has to stay on the field. His injury history scares me away most times, but obviously he has the talent to be a QB1 if he can ever play 16 games.

Kolb could be fine in Arizona, but wow, how does he learn the system fully in such a short time? Be careful there. As for Bradford, he needs more weapons. Let's see what happens in St. Louis during free agency first before pushing him above QB2 status.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 am

If you had to put $100 down, who do you see Plaxico Burress signing with, and can you whip up some "ballpark" projections?

[ July 20, 2011, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:22 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
With the news that Peyton Manning won't be ready for training camp, does anyone feel a little less likely to target the Hall of Fame QB this year? There's no doubt he has plenty of time to get right for the regular season, but it's obvious he hasn't been able to throw since the surgery and even Manning needs to work on his arm strength and timing with the wideouts. I think this has more ramifications than people think. Thoughts anyone? If history repeats itself Manning could very well start slow. In 2008 Peytons only year to miss training camp/pre season because of the bursa sac surgery these were his stats through the 1st month of the season: 784/3/4.
It wasn't until week 5 that he threw for multiple Td's in a game.

He ended up finishing the year 6th in passing yards....5th in passer rating and 5th in TD's while only tossing 8 more Int's over the final 13 games.

He might start slow but he's still Peyton Manning :D

[ July 20, 2011, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Route C ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:23 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Greg,

Do you see Alex Green getting any "worthy" reps this year if Grant and Starks stay healthy? Obviously they like this kid as a third down back and in the open field he could be fantastic. That being said, that third down back has to be able to pick up the blitzes and pass protect. They won't just throw him in there to replace Brandon Jackson until he can do that or Rodgers could get killed on one play like Romo did last year. So I'm holding my predictions for this kid until I hear that they think he can handle the blitzes enough to be on the field in these situations.

Outside of third down, I don't see him getting the early carries ahead of Grant and Starks. McCarthy likes the bigger backs and he will work these two a lot on the early downs. He knows he has to have a better pass-run split during the regular season to be successful, something he finally did in the playoffs.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
With the news that Peyton Manning won't be ready for training camp, does anyone feel a little less likely to target the Hall of Fame QB this year? There's no doubt he has plenty of time to get right for the regular season, but it's obvious he hasn't been able to throw since the surgery and even Manning needs to work on his arm strength and timing with the wideouts. I think this has more ramifications than people think. Thoughts anyone? If history repeats itself Manning could very well start slow. In 2008 Peytons only year to miss training camp/pre season because of the bursa sac surgery these were his stats through the 1st month of the season: 784/3/4.
It wasn't until week 5 that he threw for multiple Td's in a game.

He ended up finishing the year 6th in passing yards....5th in passer rating and 5th in TD's while only tossing 8 more Int's over the final 13 games.

He might start slow but he's still Peyton Manning :D
[/QUOTE]"There was a man who had a team, and HOMER was his name oh.......

H-O-M-E-R.....H-O-M-E-R"....

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:32 am

Originally posted by The FF Maestro:
greg, the wr's on seattle, oakland, cincy and a few other teams are virtually going unoticed in drafts today. but someone has to catch the ball on those teams. who do you think can have a breakout year from this stealth group of wrs? There's a good reason why those WRs aren't being drafted now: The talent isn't there and none of these teams have a solid QB right now. Obviously A.J. Green is the top WR to get from these three teams, but with the limited training camp how can you trust any rookie WR? And who is going to throw him the ball? His ADP in the NFFC right now is 32, so he's a WR3 already. I love his skills, but I sure wish he had a full off-season to work with someone like Palmer before I picked him. I'm not sure I can target anyone else there from the WR group until we see who the Bengals sign via free agency.

Mike Williams obviously has the talent if the desire is there in Seattle. I'll be interested to see what he weighs in at when he reports before getting too overjoyed first. If he comes in overweight, that will tell me all I need to know about him this year. But I trust he's committed this year after taking his second chance last year and excelling with it. His NFFC ADP is 35 right now and he could be a Top 25 WR if all things fall into place and Hasselbeck returns. I'd certainly keep an eye on Golden Tate during his sophomore season and see if he surprises this year. His ADP is 82 now and he's not even getting drafted in some leagues.

Jacoby Ford could be a solid pickup in Oakland if he can stay healthy. He was the top target at season's end and he played well. Maybe Darrius Heyward-Bey does something in his third season; heck, this is the breakout season for WRS, right? But I'll have to see it to believe it first.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:34 am

Originally posted by W. Klown:
CARSON PALMER

A.) CINCY STARTING QB IN 2011
B.) RETIRED
C.) ANOTHER TEAMS STARTING QB in 2011

Whaddya think? Last month in the NFFC Test League I made him the last pick of a 20-round Classic draft. I figured there was nothing to lose in June with that pick and if he comes back to Cincinnati I have a solid QB2. But my gut feeling is that the Bengals will not trade him and Palmer will not play in Cincinnati again. So B. would be my answer right now and after a year off one of the sides will relent, likely the Bengals.