My Week 11 Vibes

Tom Kessenich

My Week 11 Vibes

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:04 am

I’m not sure he realizes it, but Peyton Manning has more in common with us fantasy football players right now than he may realize.

I was struck by that thought watching the Colts-Chargers game on Sunday night. Like many fantasy football owners, Manning began the season with a talent-laden roster. But the next thing he knew, it was Week 10 and Aaron Moorehead was playing where Marvin Harrison is supposed to be and Bryan Fletcher was in the spot Dallas Clark should have been occupying. Manning looked understandably frustrated.

And quite a few of us could relate.

This season has been about perseverance as much as anything. If you’ve been hit hard by injuries, it’s unlikely you’re going to win your league title but perhaps you’re still in contention for a playoff spot or prize money. Maybe you’ve been able to hit on some good picks like Manning did with Fletcher against the Chargers. Or maybe you’ve been unable to find the diamond in the rough and struggled along with a so-so option at best occupying a star’s spot on your roster - the way Moorehead did in place of Harrison vs. San Diego.

At some point, it’s enough to make the proudest and most resilient fantasy owner cry uncle. Or start hitting the booze in a serious way.

The good news as I wrote a couple of weeks ago is that with so many big injuries that means more possible replacements are able to be found. With Adrian Peterson out for a few weeks at least, Chester Taylor’s value is on the rise and if he’s on your Waiver Wire he shouldn’t be there for long. Selvin Young continues to show why Travis Henry owners need to have him on their rosters. And Mark Clayton provided a sign in Week 10 that he could still be a useful fantasy option in the second half of this season.

There’s really nothing that can be done if you’ve been blasted by injuries. In my Main League, I’ve had 8 of my 13 players suffer a major injury and/or get knocked out of at least one game. And if you include Steve Smith - who’s been killed by an injury to his QB - each of my Top 9 players has been significantly impacted by injury.

So yeah, I can relate to what Manning was feeling Sunday night. I know what it’s like to look at my roster and expect to see a star-laden lineup only to be dealt the cold, harsh reality of trying to mine production from the most unlikely of places.

But I vow to keep fighting. What other choice do I have?

So let’s take a look back at Week 10 and a look ahead to Week 11:

I don’t get the whole “He could have played if it was a playoff game” line of thinking. Yes, I understand playoff games are of more importance but aren’t regular season games important too? Don’t they usually decide if you even make it to the playoffs? How is the physical risk any different in Week 10 than it would be in the first round of the playoffs? If you play in Week 10 and the injury lingers, how is that any different than if you play in the first round of the playoffs and the injury lingers? If you’re able to play, then play. If you can’t play, then sit. But don’t give me this “He could have played if it was a playoff game” BS. You’re either too hurt to play or you’re not. Case closed.

Albert Haynesworth just won the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award without even playing against the Jaguars. Anyone who watched the Titans’ defense this season with Haynesworth and then saw them get flattened at home by a terrible Jacksonville offense without him can’t vote for anyone else in good conscience.

I don’t know if Mike Shanahan realizes it or not but Selvin Young is the best RB on his roster right now.

Speaking of RB controversies, I know a lot of people insist Kenny Watson should be starting ahead of Rudi Johnson but watching both the past two games has made it quite clear that even though Rudi isn’t running well, neither is Watson. And given how the Bengals have some nice matchups in the latter stages of the season I don’t think it’s wise to be giving up on Rudi just yet.

Anybody else thinking that maybe it should have been Dwayne Bowe who was ranked as a strong WR3 option this season as a rookie and not Calvin Johnson.

The Browns may have lost to Pittsburgh but they put up a good fight and that was very impressive. Without any sort of running game and with the Steelers working hard to take away Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards, Derek Anderson still kept his team in the game until the end. Consider me quite impressed.

LaDainian Tomlinson went nowhere against the Vikings in Week 9 and Ryan Grant looked like LT against Minnesota in Week 10. Yup, I’m pretty sure we all saw that coming.

I know they won the game, but I still think Bears’ fans should refrain from getting too excited about the fact Rex Grossman is returning to the starting lineup.

On behalf of all of us who started Mark Clayton in Week 10, I’d like to thank him for falling down at the 1-inch line against the Bengals. He must have Willis McGahee on his fantasy team.

Speaking of that game, I don’t think Steve McNair has hit the wall, I think the wall hit back.

We’re still a couple of weeks away from the game, but I want to say now I think the fact the Cowboys-Packers game in Week 13 will only be televised in a small portion of the country because it’s on the NFL Network is a joke. The NFL is trying to bleed every possible cent it can from cable companies and will deprive the majority of its fans to see what could be the second-best game of the regular season in the process. And this is coming from someone who will be able to watch the game. Smart move, guys.

Don’t look now but Clinton Portis looks like Clinton Portis again.

I know the Chargers beat the Colts but San Diego must be very concerned about Philip Rivers. He doesn’t look good at all. The weapons are definitely in place, but he looks frazzled in the pocket and his throws aren’t on the mark. I’m not sure they’ll be able to mask his weaknesses should they make it to the playoffs.

It was a nice story, but Priest Holmes isn’t Priest Holmes anymore.

And finally, fresh on the heels of my victorious return to the Stone Cold Lock pick of the Week I’m back for more in Week 11. So who do I like this week? How about the Saints, who are only getting one point at Houston? Yes, the Texans will have Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson healthy but their defense is atrocious. I don't see any way they slow down the Saints. The Saints win this one by at least a touchdown. Book it.

[ November 14, 2007, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route Collectors

My Week 11 Vibes

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:26 am

I love this thread. Tom...you ever considered going into writing :D

I'm going to be the 1st to say the Pack WILL beat Dallas and end up as the #1 seed. If my Colts keep falling (Freeney is a HUGE loss) then I may become the biggest Packer fan outside of cheese land.

Portis has taught me a big lesson about ranking backup players too high. You guessed it....I'm a Betts owner (7th rounder...ugh!)

The Browns have been a fun team to watch this year. Never thought I'd say that. DA is my prize F/A pickup of 2007...other than that...my teams pretty much blow. :rolleyes:

Tom...how did you like Romeo's late game management blowing 2 timeouts....pretty sad.

One other thought....Brian Westbrook has quietly been the best fantasy RB this season. When healthy he is the perfect NFFC RB.

Go Packers!

[ November 14, 2007, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Route C ]

KOTRAX

My Week 11 Vibes

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:28 am

NICE READ TOM. I LIKE HOW YOU STATED PERSEVERANCE IS THEY KEY TO THIS YEAR'S FANTASY SEASON.

Tom Kessenich

My Week 11 Vibes

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:44 am

Brian Westbrook is a ridiculously talented running back. I wonder how many non-fantasy players realize just how good he is. He's so good that I wouldn't hesitate to take him Top 5 in a PPR league knowing full well he could miss a game or two. His production when healthy is good it offsets a missed game or two.

Thought Romeo blew it in the clutch against the Steelers but I'm willing to cut him a little slack. It's not like the Browns have had a lot of practice in big games lately.

I'm not sure if the Packers beat the Cowboys but I think it's a joke NFL fans can't see it. I'm not a big fan of the cable companies but I'm on their side here. The NFL is too caught up in dollar signs and screwing their fans in the process.

I like this writing thing, I might take it up full-time. :D
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

My Week 11 Vibes

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:59 am

If Walker can come back for Week 12 I think he can make a big impact. I really think the next two weeks are the test for him. If he can do some practicing this week and then return next week he could be a very nice late-season addition (or return) to fantasy rosters.

I also like what I've seen from Portis. They've gotten back to giving him a healthy number of carries and he's responding. They'll need to use that same approach this week if they hope to have any chance of beating the Cowboys.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route Collectors

My Week 11 Vibes

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:01 am

The Packers are one 4th quarter meltdown away from being undefeated. How often does a star have the chance to ride off into the sunset?

I think Favre has that chance this year....although I'll hate to see him go.....he deserves a story book ending IMO.

Tom Kessenich

My Week 11 Vibes

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:10 am

Originally posted by Route C:
The Packers are one 4th quarter meltdown away from being undefeated. How often does a star have the chance to ride off into the sunset?

I think Favre has that chance this year....although I'll hate to see him go.....he deserves a story book ending IMO. A Favre-Brady or Favre-Manning Super Bowl might draw a little interest.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

MGB MARTY

My Week 11 Vibes

Post by MGB MARTY » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:14 am

Cowboys at home with the chance to lock up home field advantage will win by at least 10 points or more. Pack have been a great story this year but the Boys want to see the Pats again. Their secondary is getting better and pick up of the year Tank Johnson as he plays back into shape will enable the Boys to come after Favre non stop. They are better now than when Pats beat them and were winning that game into the 3rd quarter having sacked Brady 3 times After jumping out to a 14-17 point lead Favre will bring it back to respectability. Tom great job again agree with the C Johnson analogy but who thought Detroit would become more balanced in the running game. That might change with K Jones being nicked up again. Where would you rank Lendale White in regards to top RBs?

Marty