Chicago League 5 - pick 5

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:59 am

Originally posted by Back to School:
"pure genius." "The hit we take with Galloway, Glenn, and Moulds - I can live with that. Seeing as how you are my leaguemates, I must be careful how I tread here. But I felt somewhat compelled to respond once I read "pure genius".

Taking 3 running backs with the WR options you had available falls far short of pure genius. Perhaps your WR's will perform up to the levels they did last year. You better hope so or you are in big points trouble.

All I can say is, run the value numbers. This league scoring system is dominated by 1 point per receptions for the WR's and TE's. None of your first 3 picks will get a point per reception. None. Now if both of your TE's catch 80 passes, that will help.

We drafted 1 top 5 RB and 4 top 20 WR's. But seeing as how our team has almost no 2nd RB, it will be interesting to see how your theory compares to ours.

Good luck.

steve123

Post by steve123 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:25 am

I love this! Never seen so much feedback about fantasy football from many different points of view.

Lee Scoresby, I don't know what you do for a living (for all I know you are a financial analyst or a stockbroker), but I would put up my Finance/Investments degree against your theory on past performance. I haven't put any money in the market since I graduated college (10 years) and I think we could all agree I haven't missed a thing.

With that being said, why pick Chris Brown? He hasn't done much in the past, and the future doesn't look so bright either. Hoping your stud player gets traded to improve his situation is a tough way to ride out a season.

I would agree our starting WR are average, as if we did well with our other positions, something had to give. However, I do not necessarily agree with having more WRs. I think playing one of our backup RBs (Haynes, Hicks) or our second TE would be better at the flex than a receiver taken in the last four or five rounds. I know we can't play all the RBs and TEs on our team each week, but it's nice to have choices rather than mailing in the same lineup each week because we have no other options.

Bald is beautiful, if we had a different draft slot we may have copied your strategy. I don't see any flaws in it, especially if you are picking later in the draft. At our #5 slot, it was the best strategy we could come up with.

Once again, I'm the co-manager who is pleased with our draft, but not the one proclaiming how he can't believe we had all these players fall to him.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:33 am

NY LEAGUE ONE PICK 1
QB- MCNABB
RB- L.T
RB- BRANDON JACOBS
WR- RANDY MOSS
WR- REGGIE WAYNE
WR- JOE HORN
FLEX- ANTONIO BRYANY
TE- TONY SCHEFFLER
DEFENSE- BEARS
K- GOSTKOWSKI

BENCH- GREG JENNINGS, VINCENT JACKSON, HANK BASKETT, MUSA SMITH, RON DAYNE, J.P. LOSMAN, CHARGERS, MAURICE MORRIS (MADDEN CURSE)

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:40 am

Lee Scoresby, I don't know what you do for a living (for all I know you are a financial analyst or a stockbroker), but I would put up my Finance/Investments degree against your theory on past performance. Don't be so sure of that. Lee's got a pretty fancy degree from a fine MBA program, if I may say so myself. :D

steve123

Post by steve123 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:46 am

Yeah, but you don't really learn anything in an MBA program, except how to network and schmooze with your classmates and companies looking for talent. Undergrad business courses is where you learn all the theories. I also went to a pretty good school myself...

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:35 am

Yeah, but you don't really learn anything in an MBA program, except how to network and schmooze with your classmates and companies looking for talent. Undergrad business courses is where you learn all the theories. I also went to a pretty good school myself... Yes, I'm sure YOU'RE proud of YOUR alma mater.

Guess where you're going? Back to spelling class.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:18 am

Seriously, though, there have been numerous studies showing that past performance is a pretty good indicator of mutual fund future results (assuming the portfolio manager stays constant). That famous "past performance is not indicative..." line is just a government mandated warning because people cried and cried when they lost money investing mutual funds that had incredible years based on short-term trends (like the gold, china, russia funds that had >100% years).

And if you think you learn more in undergrad business school than you do in a grad program, I think you are gravely mistaken. What I learned in undergraduate finance and accounting only helped me in the pre-term review program at B-school.

[ September 03, 2006, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Lee Scoresby ]
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

El Diablo

Post by El Diablo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:45 am

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....ZZZZZZZZZZ!

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:07 pm

Moongoose , your wideouts are the best ive seen , 6 deep.You will need Jacobs or Musa Smith to come thru, if one can have some value , you could be tough.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!