NFFC League Playoffs 2012

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:02 pm

My ideal arrangement:

* 13-week season, with a 3-week league playoffs coinciding with a 3-week overall championship

* Assume $8,500 in total league prizes, and an overall prize structure of $100,000-$20,000-$10,000-etc. These could both be higher, depending on the number of participants and/or a higher entry fee.

* After 13 weeks, the teams with the best H2H record, most points, and second most points will move on to the Overall Championship. The H2H winner receives $2,000, while the Points champion wins $2,000. A single team can "sweep" both prizes.

* The above three teams, along with 3 additional teams, will play in Weeks 14-16 for the League Championship. The additional three teams will be the top remaining point scorer, followed by the best two remaining H2H records. These three additional teams will NOT qualify for the Overall Championship.

1. H2H (overall/league)
2. Points (overall/league)
3. Points (overall/league)
4. Points (league)
5. H2H (league)
6. H2H (league)

* The 6 league playoff teams will all set lineups for Week 14. The two teams (excluding seeds 1 and 2) with the worst scores in Week 14 are eliminated from the league playoffs. The four remaining teams will set lineups in Weeks 15 and 16, and will achieve a 3 week scoring total. The team with the most points during this 3-week stretch is the League Champion.

Prizes for League Championship:

1st $2,500
2nd $1,500
3rd $500

To me, this helps solve the two biggest problems in HSFF:

1. Paying out as much as possible for a dominant season (max of $6,500 versus current $5,000)

2. Keeping as many owners interested as late in the season as possible -- 13-week season, with most teams staying alive for a shot at a nice prize ($2,500)

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 pm

It looks OK, but I would stick with 4 teams (not 6).

I wonder where you got the 6 teams, 2 get a bye, and the other 4 play to "get in"?? ;)

You know I am a fan of his format, so I would be OK with it.

Money

Post by Money » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
My ideal arrangement:

* 13-week season, with a 3-week league playoffs coinciding with a 3-week overall championship

* Assume $8,500 in total league prizes, and an overall prize structure of $100,000-$20,000-$10,000-etc. These could both be higher, depending on the number of participants and/or a higher entry fee.

* After 13 weeks, the teams with the best H2H record, most points, and second most points will move on to the Overall Championship. The H2H winner receives $2,000, while the Points champion wins $2,000. A single team can "sweep" both prizes.

* The above three teams, along with 3 additional teams, will play in Weeks 14-16 for the League Championship. The additional three teams will be the top remaining point scorer, followed by the best two remaining H2H records. These three additional teams will NOT qualify for the Overall Championship.

1. H2H (overall/league)
4. Points (league)
5. H2H (league)
6. H2H (league)

* The 6 league playoff teams will all set lineups for Week 14. The two teams (excluding seeds 1 and 2) with the worst scores in Week 14 are eliminated from the league playoffs. The four remaining teams will set lineups in Weeks 15 and 16, and will achieve a 3 week scoring total. The team with the most points during this 3-week stretch is the League Champion.

Prizes for League Championship:

1st $2,500
2nd $1,500
3rd $500

To me, this helps solve the two biggest problems in HSFF:

1. Paying out as much as possible for a dominant season (max of $6,500 versus current $5,000)

2. Keeping as many owners interested as late in the season as possible -- 13-week season, with most teams staying alive for a shot at a nice prize ($2,500) This is an awesome post and let me tell you why. King of Queens is not trying to re-invent the wheel. What Greg, Tom and the NFFC have right now is a game that is fair on a multiple of levels. This enhances it in a number of ways that address many of the issues that have been brought up. I really like the fact that he's taken an approach that is not self serving. Everyone knows he's at an elite level, yet this approach allows those not at that level to stay involved for an extended period of time and will bring them back again (so maybe it is self serving ) He gets it.

This is the best approach I've seen yet. I think the NFFC (Greg & Tom) should send out a post season survey to each player. Separate the surveys by competition. Each player should be allowed one vote in the survey. If you have 12 online teams you still only get one survey. Do it for the main event and the primetime and the online championship.

See what everyone thinks. Most of what is posted on the boards is a debate by a limited percentage of players in each format each driven by their own playing habits and beliefs.

When all is said and done, I think the NFFC is right on with their formats and a tweak here or there might be in order.

I hate sucking up to the big time guys but, in this case it's warranted.
Joe

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Love it KOQ!

Wayne

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Not bad at all Glenn. You always want the last seed to be points rather H2H though, so tweak it to this and I like it very much.

1. H2H (overall/league)
4. H2H (league)
5. H2H (league)
6. Points (league)

The other thing I'd tweak is giving teams 1-2x their season average pts going into the playoff. Since the overall gives 1x I'd stick with that, but I wouldn't be against bumping it up to 2x for both the overall and lge champ (just keep it consistent).

The other change I really hope gets done next season is dumping the 0.5 PPR for RBs - make it 1x for both 12 and 14 teamers.

Well done on the structure!

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Agree last spot should be points. That annoys me slightly about the ultimate.

Also think if changes are in order it should start with dropping QB points down to 4 per TD pass and having a consistent NFFC scoring system across all formats.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:24 pm

I like it. Nice job Glenn.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Not bad at all Glenn. You always want the last seed to be points rather H2H though, so tweak it to this and I like it very much.

1. H2H (overall/league)
4. H2H (league)
5. H2H (league)
6. Points (league)

The other thing I'd tweak is giving teams 1-2x their season average pts going into the playoff. Since the overall gives 1x I'd stick with that, but I wouldn't be against bumping it up to 2x for both the overall and lge champ (just keep it consistent).

The other change I really hope gets done next season is dumping the 0.5 PPR for RBs - make it 1x for both 12 and 14 teamers.

Well done on the structure! Hah, it didn't take long for my idea to be revealed. This is just one possible idea for the Primetime next year, but it's a good one. I too wouldn't include three h2h teams; I'd do two h2h teams and 4 total points teams. As for the league playoffs, I think we start from scratch rather than carry in your weekly scoring average since this is a new fight for new prize money, but all of that can be analyzed later.

The bottom line is that there is a way, as Glenn and I discussed, to still have a 13-week regular season, still reward the h2h and total points regular season champion, and still keep more teams involved all season long for some prize money. If half the teams get into some form of playoff to win money and "dead teams" are still happening in an event with a $1,400 entry fee, well, then there's nothing we can do. This keeps EVERYONE fighting all year long.

It solves a lot of problems. There is still some tweaking to be done if we want to go this route and again I think there is the matter of regular season prize money to talk about. I'm in favor of rewarding teams that win both h2h and total points after Week 13 with $5,000 and not limiting that to $4,000, but again that's all for evaluation later. The concept is an improvement if we can explain it clearly.

I think PPR will be consistent across our various contests next year. I'm not in favor of reducing passing TDs at this point, although interceptions probably should be -2 points then, rather than -1. But we'll look at all rules at season's end and make adjustments like we always do.

Now can we move past 2+2? ;) Good job of explaining this concept Glenn. Again, it needs tweaking but at least most people can now see the type of format that we're looking at and can make better for everyone. Oh, and this includes the third place team (total points) advancing to the Championship Round, so even though they don't automatically win $700 they do get a shot at that plus more in the league playoffs and a shot at $100,000. That's a pretty good tradeoff, I would think.

So have fun with it and help us tweak it. It's a good start.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:52 pm

I love PPR for all contests.

I would hate for interceptions to be -2. So often it's not the QB's fault on interceptions. (Tipped balls, receivers missing the ball and bouncing into defenders hands, hail mary's.) I'm in a league now that penalizes 2 points for interceptions and it just seems to make scoring even more random.

I do like the idea of 3 playoff teams based on record. That will definitely keep the most number of teams interested which is why we are doing this, correct?

I"m fine with either 4 or 6 points per passing TD. I would just want it to be consistent.

Wayne

[ November 30, 2011, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Coltsfan ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:10 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I love PPR for all contests.

I would hate for interceptions to be -2. So often it's not the QB's fault on interceptions. (Tipped balls, receivers missing the ball and bouncing into defenders hands, hail mary's.) I'm in a league now that penalizes 2 points for interceptions and it just seems to make scoring even more random.

Wayne That has been my exact reasoning for -1 all these years. You see a QB throw an interception at the end of the half on a Hail Mary attempt or some other goofy way. But with 6 points per TD and with the proliferation of TD passes now compared to 2004, I think -2 is a fair tradeoff in exchange for keeping QBs so valuable. I think the time is right for this change and it's worth discussing for 2012 and beyond.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius