NFFC League Playoffs 2012

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:46 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
I like Glenn's numbers better with more playoff money on the line. I think $2k each for top 2 seeds plus advancing to the overall is plenty for those teams. That's easy to say since you aren't a h2h champ and total points champ in the Primetime now. ;)

Again, 60% of Primetime teams right now lead in both h2h and total points, so at the very least it's a discussion we DEFINITELY will have. I'm not just going to take that extra money and put it into a league playoff format without a worthy discussion on the topic. I know it's good incentive for the 5th and 6th seeds to have plenty to play for in Weeks 14-16, but the amount of that incentive is debatable (at least in my eyes) when one team dominated for 13 weeks. Again, I appreciate your feelings, but this is one point we can have a healthy debate on. Glenn's post came from ideas we had together and isn't the final verdict.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:48 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Coltsfan:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I love PPR for all contests.

I would hate for interceptions to be -2. So often it's not the QB's fault on interceptions. (Tipped balls, receivers missing the ball and bouncing into defenders hands, hail mary's.) I'm in a league now that penalizes 2 points for interceptions and it just seems to make scoring even more random.

Wayne That has been my exact reasoning for -1 all these years. You see a QB throw an interception at the end of the half on a Hail Mary attempt or some other goofy way. But with 6 points per TD and with the proliferation of TD passes now compared to 2004, I think -2 is a fair tradeoff in exchange for keeping QBs so valuable. I think the time is right for this change and it's worth discussing for 2012 and beyond.
[/QUOTE]I think it would raise the value of the best QB's. Right now you can roll with guys who historically produce but turn the ball over. Moving forward you would be more apt to focus on the top tier guy that doesn't turn it over because the point differential would be greater.

If we are wanting to decrease QB scoring then why not go with Chad's idea of 4 points per passing TD. That would definitely be more mainstream.

Wayne
[/QUOTE]Oh boy. 2+2 MUST be used. 4 points IS mainstream. So you'd change the entire scoring for QBs because one more point is being deducted for Interceptions?? Okay. Anyway, I said it's a rule proposal we'll discuss.
[/QUOTE]No I didn't say that. I said if YOU want to reduce QB scoring then perhaps go 4 points per passing TD instead of 6 and don't do the -2 on interceptions. That's all. Personally I like it just the way it is.

Wayne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:50 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by thegambler:
sorry guys not trying to be an azz here but these same type of things were discused on another thread and almost everyone was against it. hell, i was told that if i didn't like the current format i should go play somewhere else. now all of the sudden since a big time guy talks about playoffs everyone listens and is up for it.....WOW that really sucks.

how can some of you who were so adamant against a playoff now be listening. you definitely know how to make the news guys feel good.... :rolleyes:

like i said before: i guess i will just stick to the tebow thread and let the big boys handle everything else. The idea of a four-team playoff in Weeks 11-12 is a tough sell here, which is where you were leading. I think KJ's 2+2 is a tough sell. What has progressed since then is the idea of keeping a 13-week regular season and adding a better form of playoffs with more teams than other contests had in Weeks 14-16, while still rewarding the regular season winners. The talk has led to this discussion today, so instead of feeling like an azz you should feel proud that the open dialogue led to the discussion you wanted to have.

Jump into the discussion professionally and add to the ideas and I don't think anyone will see you any other way than another respected NFFC owner helping the contest.
[/QUOTE]sorry greg, won't be jumping into the playoff discussion (yeah i am sure some of you are happy about that) no reason too.

see the good part about this thread is that people are listening and giving out other options and opinions on what KOQ wrote instead of telling him to beat it. telling him: "that if you don't like the current system you should go play somewhere else" or "don't let the door hit your azz on the way out"

good luck guys, i am sure whatever system the "vets" decide on i will probably still play.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, the monkeys can be cruel in The Jungle sometimes. Bring thick skin. :D

Time to forget and contribute. Or as you say, watch the process play out. Good options are coming from good discussion and that's what the Message Boards are for.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

renman

Post by renman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 am

I like the KOQ proposal. I know in the past I was always an advocate of less teams in the playoffs and aggressively rewarding the dominant teams through the regular season. I have been softening my stance on that over the last 2 years.

I think this is a good compromise that also gives a solid advantage (in the playoffs) to the dominant regular season teams who already got paid some as well. I especially like the week 14 idea of 6 teams with the top two unable to be eliminated from their league championship. So while those teams are getting a "bye" within their league, the week is still massively important as it relates to the overall championship as part of the 3 week total points sprint. So these owners still have action this week.

It should keep more teams in the race... it helps reward those teams who were well managed, who got off to bad starts who may be peaking in November.

The only negative I see (and it is a mild one) is getting the average fantasy football guy to take the 3 minutes required to understand the format. To me, a minor hurdle.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:16 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
I like Glenn's numbers better with more playoff money on the line. I think $2k each for top 2 seeds plus advancing to the overall is plenty for those teams. Beating 5 other teams in a 3-week playoff won't be easy, make it worthwhile. And let's not forget, there will be teams that enter the playoffs with no money in the bank and no shot at the overall that will wind up scoring more than the guaranteed-money teams over the full 16 weeks.

No reason to change QB scoring. A TD is a TD - if it's worth 6 to everyone else on the field, not sure why it should be worth less for a QB. If a QB's TD is worth only 4 pts shouldn't a receiving TD also be worth only 4? Never liked the 4 rule, it's a relic. Four is not a football number, where did that even come from?

Fumbles and INTs should be worth the same. If anything, you could argue a fumble is a bigger negative since only one guy is responsible rather than possibly two. Again, don't see the point in a change here. So you think all fantasy football leagues should use 6 a td pass? That suprises me. I cannot stand 6 a td pass personally. As for the reason it shouldn't be 6 like everyone else like you said is simple in my mind. He isn't scoring a TD, so why should get get credit for a full one? He shouldn't is the easy answer. Puts way too much weight on that position in relation to other positions.

[ November 30, 2011, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Cocktails and Dreams ]

renman

Post by renman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:24 am

cocktails,

I like things that make valuing players for a draft challenging. I like when dramatically different draft strategies occur.. I like when you look at draft boards and they vary a lot.

The 6pts for QB TD's makes people think serious about a QB in the first round. The .5 for RB receptions results in a number of WR's going in the first round. I like when there is a chance a player you would never have expected is sitting there in the second around.

I like how this differs from 10-15 years ago when drafts were so predictable.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:26 am

I like things being valued properly which is 4 a td pass and either 1 or 0 points per catch for all players including backs and TE in my opinion. Again, I understand why they needed that when competing with WCOFF to have a drastic difference. Don't think it is needed anymore and cannot in any way see how it helps them grow the game.

[ November 30, 2011, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Cocktails and Dreams ]

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:40 am

One suggestion I would offer up is to follow the scenario used in a 500 Sat I am in with the NFFC. That allows the 13 week schedule, four teams make the playoffs but the playoffs are all points. This takes away the luck factor that many dislike with H2H when cash is on the line and rewards the combination of a strong season with a strong playoff run.

In this league, cash is given to top points and H2H for the regular season. Then four teams will battle for cash payouts to the top three at the end of Week 16.

Scott
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:51 am

The playoff teams after Week 13 are H2H, Pts, H2H, Pts for those curious.
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
I like things being valued properly which is 4 a td pass and either 1 or 0 points per catch for all players including backs and TE in my opinion. Again, I understand why they needed that when competing with WCOFF to have a drastic difference. Don't think it is needed anymore and cannot in any way see how it helps them grow the game. The two mass market games, yahoo and cbs,have 4 and 6 pt QB touchdowns, respectively. I see QB scoring is coke vs pepsi - I don't think one or the other moves the needle on demand since there is familiarity and preference on both sides.

However, it was a bad idea when coke tried to become pepsi some yrs ago, and I think the same applies here. While I prefer 6, which makes a lot more sense to me because, well, its a TD and not two safeties , I wouldn't advise the FFPC to switch over to it for the reason above (even though I prefer it).

Whereas the playoff discussion was a matter of looking for ways to engage more players deeper into the season, I think this just comes down to personal preference.