NFFC Facts After Week 12

King of Queens

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by King of Queens » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:05 am

Gekko and I share some opinions, but I assure you that we draw our own conclusions.

I'm not restricting the "call for change" to just the NFFC and other major contests -- I truly believe that one more year of top pick dominance will lead for MANY contests to change their current methodology.

One major difference between 2006 and 1996 is the advent of Running Back By Committee (RBBC). Ten years ago, you didn't have a proliferation of primary backs, goal line backs, 3rd down backs, etc. By and large, the starting RB did all of those things for his team. All he had to do was stay healthy. Today, there are so many RBBCs that the handful of backs who are NOT in that situation carry a huge advantage. Sure, Tomlinson and Johnson are having record-breaking and great (respectively) seasons, but a big part of their success is that they are on the field for virtually the entire game.

Some here like to talk about hindsight. But really, does anyone see 2007 going any differently than it has this year?

As I said, one more year of this will provide more than just random blips on the radar -- it will mark a definitive trend. "Torches and pitchforks" may be overly dramatic, but I can guarantee that the chatter will get even louder.

Gordon Gekko

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:05 am

Greg - the only thing embarassing here is the draft slot data.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Greg Ambrosius

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:06 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
Greg...it is time to start facing reality and the facts here ISHO (and others)...the calls will become increasingly louder...and when you consider the alternative to pitchforks and torches (tarred and feathered) it isn't really all THAT bad...sorry...thanks...SNAKE Tarred and feathered?? You are a funny little man! :D I didn't realize you joined the caravan in Baltimore, but you are a bandwagon jumper for sure.

The off-season should be full of cries for change as LT's stature (and LJ's) grows and grows with the final numbers. Lenny and I will be hung from our heels unless we change to BBDS. I guess we'll have to see if we cater to this pressure or not, or if enough fantasy football fanatics are willing to take on the challenge of competing for a league title wherever they draft. Time will tell.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:07 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
Greg - the only thing embarassing here is the draft slot data. Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I think your post is embarrassing. You think it's another example of good writing. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Gordon Gekko

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:08 am

Greg - the only thing embarassing here is the draft slot data.

Gordon Gekko

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:14 am

Sorry for the doublepost. Blackberry moment

Greg Ambrosius

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:17 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Gekko and I share some opinions, but I assure you that we draw our own conclusions.

I'm not restricting the "call for change" to just the NFFC and other major contests -- I truly believe that one more year of top pick dominance will lead for MANY contests to change their current methodology.

One major difference between 2006 and 1996 is the advent of Running Back By Committee (RBBC). Ten years ago, you didn't have a proliferation of primary backs, goal line backs, 3rd down backs, etc. By and large, the starting RB did all of those things for his team. All he had to do was stay healthy. Today, there are so many RBBCs that the handful of backs who are NOT in that situation carry a huge advantage. Sure, Tomlinson and Johnson are having record-breaking and great (respectively) seasons, but a big part of their success is that they are on the field for virtually the entire game.

Some here like to talk about hindsight. But really, does anyone see 2007 going any differently than it has this year?

As I said, one more year of this will provide more than just random blips on the radar -- it will mark a definitive trend. "Torches and pitchforks" may be overly dramatic, but I can guarantee that the chatter will get even louder. Glenn, I know you've played long enough to remember Barry Sanders dominating in the 1990s, Terrell Davis dominating not so long ago, even Eric Dickerson running for 2,000 yards. Maybe Marshall Faulk rings a bell? There have been dominant RBs for years and years and years. Hell, fullbacks did more and took goal-line scores away from halfbacks more often years ago than they do today. The game hasn't changed that much in 1-2 years.

The funny thing is that I'm in favor of taking random draft slot selections out of the equation. Hell, Tom and I don't enjoy picking them. I'm sure Lenny would love to do it, too. But everything is an evolution of a contest and a system and maybe the time will come for that. Maybe I'll be the one leading the charge. But there's a balancing act of growth and innovation and communicating the two. I've told GG before, he should let someone else lead the BBDS charge because he just offends too many people with his forceful style of persuasion. Suddenly it's become his way or the highway.

Carry on with your facts and we'll see how it plays out. There will definitely be an uproar for change this off-season, but I trust that the winners of the LT sweepstakes will rejoice next year and the rest will line up to present a new format. That's the one constant you will always see with fantasy football.