A Second Waiver Wire

trueblue

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by trueblue » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:12 am

i'm not as experienced as everyone else, and i'll probably never be as good. but, i don't understand why owners didn't have backups on their rosters for circumstances like this. if we were in the bye weeks, i could see why owners could be in trouble. i'd think MOST owners are covered everywhere except K. JMO

Captain Hook

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:46 am

While I think the debates and discussion are good, FIRST and foremost IMO you can't be making changes to the rules for the balance of this season....so let's continue the ideas and pros/cons with the idea it would be for next year.

1) Saturday instead of Friday FAAB run - I think this is a VERY GOOD idea - more time for those that need it and those who do everything before they disappear for a weekend (there must a few but not many) can still have their bids in on Friday.

2) The adding of roster spots does NOTHING to prevent last weekend's problems or any backup to play for injury. The majority of people who play in high stakes leagues will take the gamble on being shorted at Kicker (or DST in rare case) in order to roster extra chances at RB and WR. So the question there is the strategy and competitive balance of the contest. If you want 20 roster spots, stick to the NBC 12 teamer. Or play in both but realize they have differences which is a Good thing.

3) Not really sure if I need to add it in this discussion, but personally I am absolutely against a FCFS period after the FAAB run. It totally disorts the strategy and decision making involved in the FAAB process and roster management.

danimal10

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by danimal10 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:56 am

agree on no changes during season, should have stated that earlier.

also agree on no FCFS, ever.

agree that this is probably only a once every few years scenario and that drastic measures are not needed, just perhaps a slight change like 2 waiver runs or moving run to Saturday to provide for a contingency, IMO

D

rkulaski

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by rkulaski » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:59 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
Overreacting to a once every 5-10 year thing.

Why does NFFC have to change because a few people took zeroes. Shouldn't those people think about changing their strategies? The rules are great, the contest made the obvious/only choice.

knee-jerk Did anyone out there think (before Friday's FAAB deadline) that there was a chance that the Ravens-Texans game might not even be played on Mon night?

ultimatefs

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:24 am

Originally posted by RI WORKHORSE:
What ever they want.JMO And it solves the Houston/Raven problem of ever happening again.

I can tell you from personal experience this weekend that nothing could be further from the truth and I have the exact numbers to back this up.

Heck, 85% of my leagues have 21-man rosters and 15% of those teams were affected.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:29 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:
those who do everything before they disappear for a weekend (there must a few but not many) can still have their bids in on Friday. I found out this weekend that this number is much, much greater than one would imagine.

I sent out a mass e-mail Sat 3pm PT, and rec'd e-mails from about 5% of the teams claiming they had no access due to work or being out of town over the weekend. 5% is almost one guy from every league.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

danimal10

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by danimal10 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:07 am

I posted in another thread that my strategy would have been to treat any HOU/BAL players as if they were questionable or doubtful and plan for them as if they were possibly a late week scratch.

When they announced that they were not moving the game I thought there would be a reasonable chance the game could not be played in Houston and with no contingency to move it, it might be postponed.

Luckily I didn't have any Texans/Ravens on any of my rosters but I certainly would have planned for the contingency via FAAB if I did.

D

mikeybok

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by mikeybok » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:14 am

Originally posted by RI WORKHORSE:
Big Mike,

Don't mean to put anyone down, It's just we all are in for Highstakes. This isn't ESPN or Yahoo.

And adding 2 spots would make us able to add two def's or k's and this would never happen again.

I agree that that post must have been after a bad day at work or something since you are usually one of the most upbeat fair people out here.

I personally don't have problems with bigger benches 20 is fine (but it will effect FA ... how can it not) ... I hate the Idea of two FAAB ... I don't care if it's Friday night or Saturday or even Sunday .... but one is enough.

Funny thing is with 24 on the roster ... people would have still bitched about the rules IMO.

Mike
Hakuna Matata!

BillyWaz

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:17 am

Originally posted by rkulaski:
quote:Originally posted by felixflamingo:
Overreacting to a once every 5-10 year thing.

Why does NFFC have to change because a few people took zeroes. Shouldn't those people think about changing their strategies? The rules are great, the contest made the obvious/only choice.

knee-jerk Did anyone out there think (before Friday's FAAB deadline) that there was a chance that the Ravens-Texans game might not even be played on Mon night?
[/QUOTE]I was 99% sure it wouldn't be played in Houston based on a conversation I had with my stepdaughter's uncle in Houston earlier in the week AND the fact that I kept hearing comparison's to Katrina. :eek:

I did think they would change the location (as has happened in the past), but that of course didn't happen.

Finally, I thought tonight might be an outside possibility.

BillyWaz

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RI WORKHORSE:
[qb]
Funny thing is with 24 on the roster ... people would have still bitched about the rules IMO.

Mike Bingo!

Good observation Mike! :D