3RR, Socialized Fantasy Medicine?

renman

Post by renman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:01 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by renman:

I am finding 3RR more attractive now as it takes away some of the predictability of the draft... it adds a little texture and more unique opportunities for differing strategies... Having said that, your initial post in this thread was very good, totally reasonable, and a fair point to make and question to pose... Sometimes I get the sense some here have played fantays football for a whole whopping 3 years. because I can remember MANY years where drafting from the top spot was death... I can remember many seasons where you were much happier picking the 13th and 14th players as opposed to the 1st and 24th...

Some here either have short memories, selective memory, or have very brief fantasy football careers... I am finding one person is slow to catch on. That's what I see from reading some posts here. That person "selectively" asks questions others get w/o having to ask them.

I have run 14-team leagues for 22 years now, probably 300+ drafts, an NO ONE HAS EVER SAID they preferred drafting last. All I've rec'd for 22 years is incessant whining about never getting a top spot.

You say "many" seasons? I can't think of one. EVER.

You have a delusional memory.
[/QUOTE]I guess I have to correct you too. I never said people were WANTING to draft last. I said there have been MANY SEASONS where drafting from the top of the board was NOT AN ADVANTAGE. That is all I said. You having 20+ years running leagues would know it to be true.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:10 am

Originally posted by renman:
I am finding one person is slow to catch on. That's what I see from reading some posts here. That person "selectively" asks questions others get w/o having to ask them. I see you didn't waffle on this item.

The only time I remember #1 pick being a "death" pick is R.Cunningham. And that year, numerous first rounders went down.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:15 am

Actually this was your quote Renman;

Originally posted by renman:
Sometimes I get the sense some here have played fantays football for a whole whopping 3 years. because I can remember MANY years where drafting from the top spot was deathI agree 100% with UFS, as people ALWAYS want(ed) the top spot.

Don't quote me, but I am pretty sure a few of these players were top 1-2 picks over 3 years ago!;

Randall Cunningham, Jerry Rice, Dan Marino, Emmitt Smith, Terrell Davis, Brett Favre, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes, LaDanian Tomlinson, etc.

I too can't remember when 90% of fantasy football players DID NOT want these guys as the cornerstone of their team!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:18 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by renman:
I am finding one person is slow to catch on. That's what I see from reading some posts here. That person "selectively" asks questions others get w/o having to ask them. I see you didn't waffle on this item.

The only time I remember #1 pick being a "death" pick is R.Cunningham. And that year, numerous first rounders went down.
[/QUOTE]Actually, Renman was saying no one WANTED IT. MANY people wanted him that year, but he went down with an injury.

Same for Dan Marino AFTER his 48 TD season. Pulled his achilles in Cleveland the first game of the season....OUCH!

Doesn't matter, as people always want their CHOICE of players (i.e. #1 pick). What happens AFTER the games begin is pretty much out of our hands.

[ February 14, 2007, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:21 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
lou,
what you and nag are doing is coming at a very odd time. 3RR WILL be used in the NFFC in 2007. it has already been decided. why are you throwing up your "is it needed?" speech NOW??? what do you hope to accomplish? I don't make speeches. And I did question it before, my point in starting it was to have a quality discussion with a group of people that will be DOING it (and I knew it was in when I started the thread)
There isn't anywhere else to discuss it. So here is where the thread must be started.

This is the only crowd that could react with some ideas and basis, at least presumtive basis.

One thing I will say, is after reading Gregs post it made me feel a little bad, like I was stirring the ****. Absolutley not my intent, debate only. And if Greg feels like this thread would hurt his game then I could understand him getting rid of it.

I want to write about it, to give my subscribers a good solid thought process, I like a good debate from many quality fantasy owners. Which is why I started it.

3'

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:24 am

I am also not seeing who is "shooting down" 3RR...Calling it a knee-jerk reaction isn't shooting it down? Or saying I'm not against it but... and then writing 3 paragraphs on why it wasn't necessary isn't shooting it down? Guess it's one's perception, RENMAN. I for one am for anything that adds strategy to the game and 3RR IMHO will certainly do that. I feel quite sure that was the main reason for Greg to change to 3RR. To insinuate as some have on this thread he made the change just to kiss a bunch of whiny MB butt is extremely ludicrous.

What happens if 2-3 years from now, the draft results show that instead of "leveling" the playing field for all draft slots, 3RR has actually CREATED an unfair advantage to the lower draft slots?NAG, we may be using BBDS by then, you just never know.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

LFW

Post by LFW » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:36 am

I'm amazed at some trying to convince them selfs that having higher picks isn't an advantage because it doesn't always work out. It works out a significant percentage of the time..THAT is what matters. unless someone is truly psychic we are all dealing with probabilities in our draft picks..but something can be a better without being better 100% of the time. Why do all sports leagues award their worst teams the higher picks...and the Best teams the Latter picks?
Do latter picks sometimes out perform top picks? Sure, so after the fact a lower pick sometimes out performs a higher one...but IF drafting is a game of skill (better be or congress might ban draft leagues) than what is expected out of the Higher pick is greater than what is expected of the lower pick. The Snake draft instead of a straight draft was one attempt to limit this advantage. BBDS another. 3RR another. 1 point per reception another concept sold to even things out (This one back fired imo). Auction an idea to introduce free market and eliminate this issue.

Thing with 3RR is ,in long run, it almost certainly has to be an improvement. Look at each back and forth of a snake draft. Is giving the same owner the Higher pick in every back and forth of the snake the right thing to do if you want to level the draft slot advantage and still use a snake type draft. Obviously not. if you take a few minutes to think ... compounding a small advantage everytime isn't as good a solution as flip flopping the edge at some point.
The TYRUNT of CDM Fantasy Sports Football Challenge and High Roller Football Contests!

LFW

Post by LFW » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:57 am

When first snake draft idea was proposed over a straight draft did some question that? This is just saying a Snake draft was an improvement over a straight draft...but it could be tweaked a bit more to level things even further. Some probably argued against the snake (at first)and if it went to far and blah blah blah....now it's just accepted as better than a straight draft..but not perfect. 3RR wont be perfect..but it will be slightly better than a traditional snake. And it's simple enough to implement that it's worth doing. If it were too difficult to understand then maybe I'd think differently..but it's an easier to understand concept than the jump between teaching someone a snake draft vs a straight one they see on TV in NFL draft every year
The TYRUNT of CDM Fantasy Sports Football Challenge and High Roller Football Contests!

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:06 am

Originally posted by Lightning Fast Whip:
When first snake draft idea was proposed over a straight draft did some question that? This is just saying a Snake draft was an improvement over a straight draft...but it could be tweaked a bit more to level things even further. Some probably argued against the snake (at first)and if it went to far and blah blah blah....now it's just accepted as better than a straight draft..but not perfect. 3RR wont be perfect..but it will be slightly better than a traditional snake. And it's simple enough to implement that it's worth doing. If it were too difficult to understand then maybe I'd think differently..but it's an easier to understand concept than the jump between teaching someone a snake draft vs a straight one they see on TV in NFL draft every year LFW-you bring up a good point. Here's a wild thought I had:
Why are leagues 12 and 14 teams all the time?
I believe because in a even numbered draft the draft ENDS with everyone having the same number of picks.

But to me I REALLY like the idea of a 13 team league. 12 regular season weeks of H2H and 4 weeks of playoff sprint to the Championship.
I haven't spent 1 minute looking at the draft and number of players.
But wouldn't it be a good debate? And isn't this a good one?

3'

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:09 am

Originally posted by 3INTBOY/BFDFANTASY.com:
quote:Originally posted by Lightning Fast Whip:
When first snake draft idea was proposed over a straight draft did some question that? This is just saying a Snake draft was an improvement over a straight draft...but it could be tweaked a bit more to level things even further. Some probably argued against the snake (at first)and if it went to far and blah blah blah....now it's just accepted as better than a straight draft..but not perfect. 3RR wont be perfect..but it will be slightly better than a traditional snake. And it's simple enough to implement that it's worth doing. If it were too difficult to understand then maybe I'd think differently..but it's an easier to understand concept than the jump between teaching someone a snake draft vs a straight one they see on TV in NFL draft every year LFW-you bring up a good point. Here's a wild thought I had:
Why are leagues 12 and 14 teams all the time?
I believe because in a even numbered draft the draft ENDS with everyone having the same number of picks.

But to me I REALLY like the idea of a 13 team league. 12 regular season weeks of H2H and 4 weeks of playoff sprint to the Championship.
I haven't spent 1 minute looking at the draft and number of players.
But wouldn't it be a good debate? And isn't this a good one?

3'
[/QUOTE]How do you schedule a 13-team league each week?
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.