What An Unbelievable NFL Weekend!

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:34 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
What I couldn't believe is when Favre said that was the worst snow he had ever played in. Not that it wasn't coming down REALLY hard, but being Green Bay, you would figure weather like that would have happened many times before in Favre's tenure.

Hope it snows like that again for you on Sunday night Greg, as those memories will last forever!
And on Sunday night, it is going to be COLD. It's already changing now and it's cold right now. Sunday night on those aluminum bleachers are going to be brutal. :D Brutally fun!!!

[/QUOTE]Josh Brown has a pair of pants you might be interested in. I hear he doesn't need them next week while planted on his couch.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:36 am

quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Rivers taunting the fans is a joke. No, he's not the first, but he acts like a spoiled brat to me. Agreed Russ. Rivers has to realize that this isn't NC State anymore. Grow up and play through the fans' taunting. He acts like a spoiled brat when he really hasn't accomplished anything yet. I mean, is he looking like a leader? Not at all.

As Sean Salisbury said yesterday, what has happened to this kid in the last year? He met him early on and I know I met him as a rookie and you didn't see this attitude from him. In fact, I thought he was kind of shy and wasn't sure he'd handle the pressure of being traded for Eli Manning. Now he's become this Big Man On Campus and he acts like a bully in a fraternity, not an NFL quarterback. Anyway, he's lost some respect from me too.

Start Billy Volek and see if he can repeat 2004. ;)
[/QUOTE]My take on Rivers is that he still is trying to make people forget Brees, so he does what he thinks is acting like a leader. Instead, he just looks like an a-hole.

Winning those two games and playing well should have been enough to forge his own identity. Now he has a negative identity for a while.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 am

What I couldn't believe is when Favre said that was the worst snow he had ever played in. Not that it wasn't coming down REALLY hard, but being Green Bay, you would figure weather like that would have happened many times before in Favre's tenure.

Hope it snows like that again for you on Sunday night Greg, as those memories will last forever!
Favre was right. We're not known for snow here; it's not like Buffalo. We get like 45 inches of snow per year and there haven't been many snow games at Lambeau. We're known for COLD, not snow. And on Sunday night, it is going to be COLD. It's already changing now and it's cold right now. Sunday night on those aluminum bleachers are going to be brutal. :D Brutally fun!!!

Favre is unreal. He NEVER is the last guy off the field, but on Saturday night he must have done interviews at mid-field and he talked with other Seahawks' players, but he was definitely the last one to go to the tunnel. My seats are near the Packers' tunnel and NOBODY left the stadium at that point. When he started walking over our way, the whole stadium chanted MVP, MVP, MVP and there were 30+ camera guys following his every step. He saw his wife and two kids on the field -- which they never do -- and he walked over to them like a high school star meeting his sweetheart. They embraced and people did think it might be symbolic as his last time at Lambeau.

Honestly, at that moment it looked like a rock star was in the house. It was like Paul McCartney had just showed up and it was 1967!! :D But Favre has won over this state this year even more than ever before, and he was revered before!! I mean, he is beyond god-like now. Zeus wouldn't stand a chance against him!! :D But give him his due, he's watching so much film now that he is so prepared for every game this year like never before. He knows what the defense is going to do once he steps to the line of scrimmage and he's changing plays and making reads like never before. The first TD pass to Jennings is a perfect example as he saw one-on-one and threw to him even though there was a run play called and he didn't check off. He just looked at Jennings, made eye contact and threw it inside for a TD. Too easy.

It's hard not to like this guy now. I mean you can if you want and some are sick of the adulation for him, but geez he makes it fun to watch football again.
[/QUOTE]LOL.... I can't wait for the post after he beats NE in the SB. He'd HAVE to retire then.... beating an undefeated team in the SB...No one could ever top that.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:23 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

[/QUOTE]LOL.... I can't wait for the post after he beats NE in the SB. He'd HAVE to retire then.... beating an undefeated team in the SB...No one could ever top that.
[/QUOTE]You know my feelings on this. So many people in the media almost WANT him to retire. Why? Has he lost any skills? Not enough to retire. Is he playing at a Unitas-like level at the end of his career? No. Is he playing on an up-and-coming team? Yes.

Think about it. IF they win the Super Bowl -- which isn't likely if the Patriots get there, but what the hell -- he would be the winning quarterback on the YOUNGEST team in the league and he basically finished second in the MVP voting. He'd be a FOOL to retire then. Elway didn't retire after he won his first Super Bowl. He rode the Terrell Davis gravy train to a second title and then walked into the sunset. Favre should come back and win a few more before retiring.

He's having too much fun to retire and he's playing too well to retire. I can see him doing it because of all the time he's put into this season, but I think his family wants him to return and I think he'd be bored silly without this. It's not like he wants to be a banquet speaker or a TV commentator or a company spokesman anymore than he is now. He LOVES playing football and he knows what he's doing on a historical standpoint. It may never get any better than it is now....or maybe IT WILL. Why not with the young talent they have now?

I was a doubter, but this is now a good football team. They are fundamentally sound, from the special teams to the play calling. They are still weak in the secondary (safety), thin now in the defensive line, young in the offensive line and they lack experience. But they look better now than at any point this season and that's saying something.

I say he returns either way and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays past 2008.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:33 am

You guy's arent giving Rivers enough respect , who cares if hes going at it with fan's.Rivers made some big 3rd down throws and he threw 3 td's againest that great Colts pass defense.
Give the guy his props 14 for 19 , 264 yards, with the 3 td's.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:52 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
You guy's arent giving Rivers enough respect , who cares if hes going at it with fan's.Rivers made some big 3rd down throws and he threw 3 td's againest that great Colts pass defense.
Give the guy his props 14 for 19 , 264 yards, with the 3 td's. While he did well yesterday, the guy was absolute garbage this entire season. He certainly hasn't lived up to his high draft status.

Let's put it this way, the Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers debate is pretty much in a "dead heat" :eek:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:56 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
Give the guy his props 14 for 19 , 264 yards, with the 3 td's. Eddie, you have to admit, he's acting like a kid in a man's game. But you're right, if he can back it up, who cares. But still, act like you expected to be there.

Anyway, it's painful almost to watch this guy throw. He looks like he's shot-putting each throw and it looks like it takes so much effort. His accuracy has improved, but you wonder if he is going to be a long-term player with that motion. Guys like Favre and Peyton Manning and Brady throw so effortlessly and with a flick of the wrist, whereas Rivers looks more like Chad Pennington than Brady. I don't know, but I'd still make him beat me if I played this team.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 am

A thought that crossed my mind as I watched LT and Rivers on the sideline, yet the SD train kept chugging along...

Although a talented bench they do have...what seemed more important was the O-line and the play calling.

Seems they could have put any RB or decent QB in there...they just had some nice holes and very good play calling.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:04 am

...and as for Rivers...

I felt he was the Achilles heel to the Chargers...being mentally soft and easy to rattle and get into his head.

Maybe he has re-created a jerk-like cocky image to counterpunch the soft image he had before.

Just a thought.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver