NFFC Offers Discount Plan To Unpaid Owners From Other Events

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:49 am

I understand where RiFF is coming from. I also agree that the analogies used so far don't resonate too well. Let me take a crack at it.

Businesses can promote themselves in two ways:

1) Some choose to allocate resources to existing customers in order to maintain business and keep these valuable customers loyal. The airlines are a good example of this. Frequent flyers get plenty of perks that others don't, like free upgrades, no baggage fees, early boarding, and free entry into airport lounges with food, drink, etc. This is designed to maintain business, keep the big spenders around, and to reward loyalty. I think we all understand that and can't argue with it, since it makes good business sense.

2) What also makes good business sense is drawing in new business away from potential competitors by offering a promotion to new customers not available to existing customers. Credit card companies do this all the time. They give 6 month teaser rates, free balance transfers, etc. that aren't available to existing customers.

A better example might be a person who has lived in an apartment complex for five years. Let's say this person has been very loyal, paying rent on time and causing no problems. Then let's say the apartment owners offer a promotion for new renters that their first month is free if they sign a 12 month lease. This option is not available to existing renters. Is this fair? Are the existing tenets "subsidizing" this free month of rent? Well, I guess you could see it that way but I don't think anyone would argue that the apartment owners are engaging in an unfair or uncommon business practice.

Overall, I'm OK with the promotion but I do see RiFF's point. I wonder if the creative minds at the NFFC can't come up with a promotion only available to it's most loyal customers to level out the promotions?

Because let's face it: It's the loyal customer base who plays Fantasy Football year after year that the NFFC can least afford to lose.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:54 am

We do have several promotions in place which many of our loyal NFFC customers have taken advantage of. We have STATS Pass free if you sign up for both Main Events by July 1; we continue to offer a discount for the Online Championship 3-pack as well as discounts for those who take three Live Events. We certainly don't want anyone feeling slighted but there are several offers in place for people to take advantage of and hopefully people will do that.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 am

I think it would be a better promotion to bring in the folks who have NEVER won in wcoff at the discounted rate. :D

Wayne

[ June 13, 2011, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Coltsfan ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:10 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
It's really good to understand that existing customers will not absorb any of the promotional expense. But as you point out It's also understandable that some long time customers feel a bit of loyalty betrayal by not being a part of the promotion. But, I do have far less problems with the structure understanding existing customers won't be impacted by lower payout rates.
But again the obvious problem is, NFFC saying we've got some good news and we've got some bad news. the good news....we're annoucing a big promotion that will put $42,000. (using Greg's example) into the pockets of our customers. The bad news.....none of our loyal existing customer base is eligible for any part of that $42,000. Just to clarify here Rich so that we're not missing anything: The payout percentage to anyone who plays in the live events remains the same based on full entry fees no matter if we finish at our stated goal or above it. If we go above 322 in the Classic Main Event, the added prize pool goes up 75% for every league above that. Nobody is subsidizing this promotion other than STATS.

We do our best to take care of our loyal customers and while you see this as bad news for the die-hard NFFC players we just see the lack of payment by the WCOFF as the bad news. We totally get what you're saying about our loyal customers and as Tom said this was discussed initially by all of us. But if we can bring some new members to the NFFC and make our contest stronger going forward without hurting our stated prize pool we're going to do it. We believe that our loyal customers will benefit long-term when the NFFC is the biggest and best live events contest out there. We certainly haven't been the biggest to this point.

Again, great points. Yes, these folks didn't play in the NFFC in the past, but we also didn't have a 12-team live event on the first weekend of the NFL season in Las Vegas. We will have that now and we will be announcing new plans for that soon. Hopefully these folks will like what we're offering and hopefully the discount will keep them in the game and their choice will be our game. I know that's going to benefit all of our past players long-term.

[ June 13, 2011, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
new guy thinking of trying the nffc out or going to the ffpc. i have to admit the discount might get me to come here. yeah i know it is only a couple of hundred dollars but it is the fact these owners are thinking about players that don't play here. trying to make people, that got screwed, comfortable again to play fantasy football and give them thousands of dollars in the hope of winning the big one and getting paid if they do.

i think what you are doing is a very cool thing, and me being one of the stupid people that rolled money over in the wcoff makes me appreciate it more. the money i will lose from the wcoff i will make up here with the discount. hopefully i like it here and will be back for several years to come. i was a 9 year wcoff vet, now i am looking for a new home. i don't like jumping around from league to league every year.....i want to get comfortable somewhere and become loyal to them like i was to the wcoff.

big props and a good business decision from tom and greg Great post Andy and if you decide to join our contest the first Corona is on me!!! :D One thing you have to get used to over here is that we do like our Corona's on Draft Day. Me especially!!! Good luck with your choice of contests going forward, but if you do choose us I'm convinced you will stick with us for the next 9 years. We're done moving around too and STATS is our home going forward forever. It's time to settle in and give the industry the best run live events with two very unique formats: 14-team Classic and 12-team Primetime.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:20 am

As someone who has been a charter member in both the NFFC/NFBC and the WCOFF let me simply say this...

WCOFF has $3500 of my winnings that I rolled over into planned games for 2011. If they fold up and I do not get my $3500 I had ZERO chance or intention of playing in any HSFF games this year prior to Greg's offered discount. Today that is up to a 50-50 chance.

Thanks Greg. I appreciate you trying to reach out to us sitting on a broken fence.

Pete

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 am

These guys run a great contest. That's what I get in return for my entry fee. The NFFC is not doing it for free. If they don't make $ then there is no NFFC. Our return on entry is fair and their profit margins are slim. Enough with the hands out crap.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:50 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:
These guys run a great contest. That's what I get in return for my entry fee. The NFFC is not doing it for free. If they don't make $ then there is no NFFC. Our return on entry is fair and their profit margins are slim. Enough with the hands out crap. Very well said, Q. Only thing missing was a "fantasy welfare" picture :D

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:51 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:
. Enough with the hands out crap. If your definition of a hand out is: not wanting to implicitly subsidize a new customer that has never played in the NFFC..then yeah I'm looking for a hand out. :rolleyes:

particra

Post by particra » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:
. Enough with the hands out crap. If your definition of a hand out is: not wanting to implicitly subsidize a new customer that has never played in the NFFC..then yeah I'm looking for a hand out. :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]I think you misinterpreted what he posted.