NFL Lockout Thread

Tom Kessenich

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:23 am

If this entire fiasco hadn't been void of any lick of common sense I might be surprised that what should be BY FAR the easiest part to negotiate (rookie wage scale) is now holding up the process. But I'm not. Nothing surprises me with this thing anymore. At this point, I don't even care about any more "updates." The only update that matters is the one saying the lockout is over. I'm tired of being told how "close' things are and how this date or that date is pivotal. End this idiocy and until it's over stop blabbering.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:54 am

As I said yesterday, I've lost interest in any "updates" pertaining to the lockout since there really hasn't been a meaningful one in four months but here's the latest: The key figures in the anti-trust lawsuit (Brady, Manning and Brees) issued a statement today saying they believe the deal on the table is fair and it's time to get it done. On planets where common sense was utilized this would be viewed as a key move forward since it's placing the pressure on the owners to get this done and put an end to this foolishness. We'll see what happens.

NEW YORK — Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees say "it is time" for NFL owners and players to wrap up negotiations on a deal to end the league's lockout.

The three star quarterbacks are among 10 players who are named plaintiffs in an antitrust suit against the NFL that is pending in federal court in Minnesota.

In a statement released to The Associated Press via the NFL Players Association on Wednesday, New England's Brady, Indianapolis' Manning and New Orleans' Brees said: "We believe the overall proposal made by the players is fair for both sides and it is time to get this deal done."

The statement continued: "This is the time of year we as players turn our attention to the game on the field. We hope the owners feel the same way."

Brady, Manning and Brees spoke out as a group publicly for the first time as representatives of players and owners gathered Wednesday morning at a Manhattan office building for the latest round of talks aimed at resolving the fourth-month lockout.
It's the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987, and negotiations are at a critical phase.

Deadlines are coming up next week to get training camps and the preseason started on time. While it appears that the sides have agreed on the basic elements of how to split more than $9 billion in annual revenues, among the key sticking points recently have been how to structure a new rookie salary system and what free agency will look like.

Federally mediated negotiations to arrive at a new collective bargaining agreement broke down March 11, and the old labor contract expired. The NFLPA immediately dissolved itself, meaning players no longer are protected under labor law but instead are now allowed to take their chances under antitrust law. That day, Brady, Manning, Brees and others filed their class-action lawsuit.

On March 12, the owners imposed a lockout on the players, a right management has to shut down a business when a CBA expires. During the lockout, there can be no communication between the teams and current NFL players; no players — including those drafted in April — can be signed; teams won't pay for players' health insurance.

A series of court rulings followed, including one last week from an appeals court that said the lockout could continue.

Talks resumed in May, overseen by a court-appointed mediator, U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan, who is on vacation this week. Boylan ordered both sides to speak with him in Minneapolis next Tuesday, and the owners have a special meeting set for July 21 in Atlanta, where they could vote to ratify a new deal if one is reached.

That means there's intense pressure on NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith to keep things moving in a positive direction. Disruptions to the planned preseason schedule would decrease the overall revenue pie.

Smith was among those arriving Wednesday morning for talks, along with powerful team owners Robert Kraft of the Patriots, John Mara of the New York Giants and Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18468322?source=rss
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:41 am

The Washington Post is reporting a deal "could be" reached by next Tuesday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... ll-insider
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Erok

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Erok » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:01 am

This was funny.....

DREW BREES SAYS:
“The fact of the matter is that we do have a very fair proposal on the table right now in front of the owners,” Brees said. “They’ve talked a lot here over the last week about how, ‘Wer’e going to get a deal done before the 21st, for the meetings.’ Well, now the ball’s in their court because we have a very fair proposal.”

According to Brees, the players are ready, willing and able to get back to work.

DE SMITH SAYS:
“Dont believe the hype, we have a lot of work to do, and were working really hard. Now it’s time for me to take the weekend off”

Erok

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Erok » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:02 am

Id rather have Brees and Manning represent the players than De Smith.

Tom Kessenich

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:07 am

Something tells me if Gene Upshaw and Paul Tagliabue were still around this deal would've gotten done a long time ago.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Diesel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:12 am

If Captain Kangaroo and Mr.Greenjeans were handling this case, it would be done already.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BillyWaz

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
If Captain Kangaroo and Mr.Greenjeans were handling this case, it would be done already. LOL Marc!

I completely agree. Take Demoron Smith out of this deal, and it would have been done mid June.

Diesel

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Diesel » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:02 am

Let's say we live in a world with common sense. Let's also say that I was a lawyer or ANYBODY that had ANY PART from either side of this ridiculous CBA. If I knew that fans were really getting angered by this public process and I knew a deal was anywhere close to being a done deal, WHY wouldn't I make ONE announcement, saying, "We on both sides mutually agree not to make any statements about this matter until a deal is signed. We are working vigorously to get this deal done, and as soon as we settle this legal matter, we each will make an announcement."

We don't live in a world that uses common sense. So of course, today's news reads, "Little to no progress made after 11 hours of negotiations." This is followed, of course, by the same hypothetical BS that we've read for almost 5 months now.

Today will be another day of sportscenter filling airwaves with anything they could get their hands on. Good thing J.Harrison badmouthed half the league yesterday. ESPN anchors sent him a thank you note and a fruit basket for giving them something to report. I also truly feel bad for fantasy sports writers that for months now have had to write articles like "A.Bradshaw MAY end up in Miami", or "Dexter McCluster MIGHT be rb2 in KC". OMG, stab me with a spoon. LMAO

My rant is over. Thank you.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

King of Queens

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by King of Queens » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:40 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
"Dexter McCluster MIGHT be rb2 in KC". But will he qualify at WR, RB...or both? :D