The playoff "advantage"???

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:47 pm

I am posting this in response to this post by RAIDERS on the thread devoted to Golden Tornado's OUTSTANDING start.....

Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:

Should the Season be worth ave. X(2). So if you ave. 150 for the season, you would enter the Championship Round with 300. A guy who got in best HTH record and ave. 120 points would go in with 240. I think the season should be worth more than the 3 week playoffs are.

Just a thought.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was always in favor of something like this, John.

Fantasy Jungle did this the first year I played there (2x). Too many players said they were out of it before it started, so they changed it to 1.5x.

The point is taking your average in really is pointless, as everyone virtually starts at 0.

If Team A scores 260 more than Team B in the first 13 weeks. Team A starts with a 20 point lead going into the playoffs.

In week 14, Team B scores 150, and Team A scores 125. So averaging TWENTY MORE POINTS PER WEEK is completely wiped out. Team A who dominated for thirteen weeks is now DOWN 5 points.

I realize this creates a "playoff feel", but are weeks 14-16 really more important? Honestly, with all the NFL teams that "lock up spots", week 16 (and sometimes 15) has players sitting out.

I would just like to see MORE of an advantage to those who do well for 81.3% of the season.

Any thoughts???

[ November 04, 2009, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:49 pm

i think you pegged it here john. in baseball there are no playoffs, which means the "regular season" counts 100%. in football, the regular season counts 1/4 or 25%! :eek:

i'm thinking 1/2 or 50% might make more sense. that would mean 3 weekly average plus your 3 playoff weeks. just thinking outloud here. why not factor the regular season in 50% and the playoffs in 50%?

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:03 pm

I'll cut and paste my way into this more appropriate thread.

In a perfect world without the C-Word...a 2X would/could fly. 3X is too much. The riff raff have already been eliminated by keeping the overall playoffs exclusive...so those that get in, earn it.

If you want it like baseball...keep a log of overall 16 week score, and give that team a bigger prize. We all know that there are teams of players now...this isn't 2003. Many/most top players have become friends and even pool ideas and money. The temptation to manipulate an individual league in order to get the overall prize is the main reason why there is a "reset" once the playoffs start.

You may be able to c-word your way into the playoffs...but then it's a battle.

The goal is to reach the playoffs, and go to war.

When the contest changes to a 16 week points race...you lose customers. The above argument want credit for doing better than other teams on his way to making the main event playoffs. The fact is...the playoffs, like in the NFL, are the second season.

Like in ALL SPORTS...aside from seeding...the regular season is thrown in the garbage, and the real season begins. Be happy you made it there, and go to battle for the grand prize.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:05 pm

i don't agree with that lance. teams in every sport that do better in the regular season get HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE in the playoffs. which can be HUGE. also, in football, top teams get a bye week to let players heal up.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:07 pm

top teams in EVERY sport get advantages entering the playoffs.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Teams in real sports also are the ones playing the sport...we are simply clicking mouses.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Wildcards win Superbbowls too. They just have to outscore each opponent by one point per week.

~Long John Silver

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
top teams in EVERY sport get advantages entering the playoffs. Yet they always start the games zero to zero.

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:13 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
We all know that there are teams of players now...this isn't 2003. Many/most top players have become friends and even pool ideas and money. The temptation to manipulate an individual league in order to get the overall prize is the main reason why there is a "reset" once the playoffs start.

Like in ALL SPORTS...aside from seeding...the regular season is thrown in the garbage, and the real season begins. Be happy you made it there, and go to battle for the grand prize. These two statements I couldn't disagree with more, Lance.

1) What "teams" of players are you talking about???? :confused: I highly doubt that is the reason the playoffs are "reset".

2) Aside from seeding??? Like Mark mentioned...getting a bye, HOME FIELD, and let's not forget....THIS IS NOT REAL FOOTBALL!!!

If it was, I could gameplan for my opponent, replace a player who got injured in the first quarter. Until I can do those things, I would like MORE of an advantage for the teams that performed better for 13 weeks ofthe season.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Two reasons for the reset.

#1 to stamp out potential collusion.

#2 to create a fair playoff environment that attempts to put teams on an even playing field, yet gives a slight advantage to the teams who earned it. To make the playoffs fun, and not a forgone conclusion.

~Long John Silver