The playoff "advantage"???

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:21 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
Wildcards win Superbbowls too. They just have to outscore each opponent by one point per week. do wildcard teams play the division winners on a nuetral field. NO

do wildcard teams get a week off to rest players. NO

weak lance, weak :D

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:23 pm

We've gone through the reasoning behind this very topic on the WCOFF MB in depth like 6 or 7 years back, and Lenny said the main reason for the reset was to discourage and disable potential collusion.

Plain and simple.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:23 pm

good point Waz, top teams in the regular season get "seeded" to face the weakest opponents first.

wow, look at the all the benefits top regular season teams get once the playoffs start.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:27 pm

All those advantages are only perceived.

The games still start out zero-zero, and the future champions are decided IN THE PLAYOFFS!

Can I get an Eddie "BANG!!!"
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:29 pm

We've gone through the reasoning behind this very topic on the WCOFF MB in depth like 6 or 7 years back, and Lenny said the main reason for the reset was to discourage and disable potential collusion.

Plain and simple. just because lenny said it, doesn't mean it makes perfect sense.

in baseball, wouldn't the collusion you are talking about be 10 times easier to pull off? think about childs this year. he was top 10 for most of the last couple months. if a couple people in his league colluded together to drop good (not great) players and allow childs to pick them up, wouldn't he have won the 100K?

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:31 pm

The games still start out zero-zero, and the future champions are decided IN THE PLAYOFFS!

Can I get an Eddie "BANG!!!" lance - you are living in lala land or drunk-o-world tonight. so you are telling everyone here that home field advantage is only a perceived advantage, i.e. there is no documented proof that home teams win more than away teams? stop diggin lance, you're getting in deep now :D

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Plain and simple. just because lenny said it, doesn't mean it makes perfect sense.

in baseball, wouldn't the collusion you are talking about be 10 times easier to pull off? think about childs this year. he was top 10 for most of the last couple months. if a couple people in his league colluded together to drop good (not great) players and allow childs to pick them up, wouldn't he have won the 100K?
[/QUOTE]Quite frankly, yes.

Even easier...everyone in his league goes broke on the waiver wire bidding nutty early in the season...and he has dibs on 5 months worth of free agent ww pick ups.

The way baseball is set up...it is very very easy to collude...should that be your goal.

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Can I get an Eddie "BANG!!!" So when you bet in the playoffs, you don't consider who is at home, whether a "warm weather team" will play well in frigid weather, whether traveling to either coast will affect a team, etc.

I'll bet you a bottle of tequila to my Captain Morgan that you do??? :D

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:37 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Can I get an Eddie "BANG!!!" lance - you are living in lala land or drunk-o-world tonight. so you are telling everyone here that home field advantage is only a perceived advantage, i.e. there is no documented proof that home teams win more than away teams? stop diggin lance, you're getting in deep now :D
[/QUOTE]Geez, GG...look up the last 20 Superbowl winners, and tell me how many were the #1 seed going in.

The freaking Superbowl is played on a neutral field.

Keep calling me drunk, and I won't like you anymore. Haaaaaaaaaa! :D ;)

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:39 pm

Quite frankly, yes.

Even easier...everyone in his league goes broke on the waiver wire bidding nutty early in the season...and he has dibs on 5 months worth of free agent ww pick ups.

The way baseball is set up...it is very very easy to collude...should that be your goal. and yet, through 6 years of the nfbc, this has never happened. something that you admit is 10X easier to pull off than in football.

i think the fact of the matter is, collusion amongst multiple people is EXTREMELY tough to pull off. too many people to keep quiet and too many tracks to hide. sorry lance.