The playoff "advantage"???

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:

Slightly off-topic, but the same logic applies to the 3rd place league prize. Since 2004, the single biggest increase in prizes has come in the form of 3rd place league prizes (up 150%, from $500 to $1,250). Why? More people feel like winners -- or at least not losers! ;) [/QB]This would make me King of the losers! It's hard to give an open minded opinion on 3rd place since I've won SO MANY of them...But from my perspective, coming out of a High Stakes contest with even money is just as rewarding as going to Vegas or Atlantic City and coming home even. You'd love to come home with major money, but you'd also rather not come home with empty pockets.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:20 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
This would make me King of the losers! King of Even Money

(with a slight vig)

;)

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:42 am

As far as league "advantage"...

Having a poor start or simply a lower scoring team creates a major disadvantage for you, in that in order to beat your opponents, (and there may be a whole lot in that pack) you must do so by a full game or more in H2H, as a tie record is your doom.

Beating many teams by one or more wins is tough, and the advantage of tiebreaks set up the higher scoring team to win with a better record or even a tie record.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

renman

Post by renman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:07 am

I havent read the entire thread but I have always seen the NFFC as being two distinctively different contests and seasons.

You have the first contest, which is competing against those in your draft and individual leagues. If you succeed within your league, you get cash that is specifically rewarded to winners from your league.

Then there is the playoff sprint. To me, this is a completely different entity and contest. Obviously we currently give everyone their regular season average and combine it with the 3 weekly scores from the post season to crown an overall champion. My concern with making the weekly average score x2 or 3 is that not everyone competed in the same league. Some people will have competed in tougher leagues, where as others may be in weaker leagues.

In real sports the regular season has limited impact on the post season. Sure teams can win home field advantage. But in most sports that isn't as massive an advantage as some think. I agree byes are big. The post season is usually a sprint/crap shoot where teams who succeeded during the regular season get to compete again with the stakes being the highest.

I am fine with it being the same way for the NFFC.

williamhare

Post by williamhare » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:38 am

Interesting that the qualifying lower point-total teams were termed "also-rans". Could it be that some "also-rans" drafted their teams with the week 14-16 matchups in mind? Don't consider it luck just because your 13-week darlings don't cash the big $$$$.... because its a 16 week contest!

Changing the method of crowning a champ is fine if you are also willing to concede that the N.Y.
Mets are the 2007 and 2008 World Series Champs.
HMan

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
The fun is inherent, Lance. Fantasy football enhances the enjoyment of watching real football. Whether it is head to head, with playoffs, without playoffs...it doesen't matter, it'll be popular because football is a great tv sport.

My opinion means little. I happened to enjoy fantasy more when playoffs were not a part of the plan. I knew I would be in the minority with that statement. No big deal. Hi Mr. Doughboys!

I read your post and liked what you had to say...may I join your minority?

-Jules

p.s. Very messy divorce from Josh H. this year, it might have tainted me from baseball for awhile.

[ November 06, 2009, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: RedRyder ]
@RedRyder

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:Originally posted by 3intboyBFD:
Never, ever, ever award points to a FF team that hasn't earned them.

Period. Multiples award points not earned, no way.

3' So 3 weeks is worth more than 13? I don't think so.
[/QUOTE]I dont care if you dont think so.

NEVER give teams points they haven't earned. period. It's stupid and you can kiss the "masses" goodbye.

I did a HUGE post about weighting the regular season and the playoffs. Got shot down, it was fair, accurate and made mathmatical sense.

But it was a bunch of formulas.

Extra points for nothing? You get 13 weeks to make the playoffs, that's your advantage....

Your team is in the playoffs and 11 others aren't.

Fake points not earned solve NOTHING to prove the best team.

3'

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Originally posted by 3intboyBFD:
quote:Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:Originally posted by 3intboyBFD:
Never, ever, ever award points to a FF team that hasn't earned them.

Period. Multiples award points not earned, no way.

3' So 3 weeks is worth more than 13? I don't think so.
[/QUOTE]I dont care if you dont think so.

NEVER give teams points they haven't earned. period. It's stupid and you can kiss the "masses" goodbye.

I did a HUGE post about weighting the regular season and the playoffs. Got shot down, it was fair, accurate and made mathmatical sense.

But it was a bunch of formulas.

Extra points for nothing? You get 13 weeks to make the playoffs, that's your advantage....

Your team is in the playoffs and 11 others aren't.

Fake points not earned solve NOTHING to prove the best team.

3'
[/QUOTE]Good Point, I see You agree with me, but it won't fly/work or is the best way to go.

Thanks for going thru the trouble of trying to get this installed in a Contest.

John

botherk

Post by botherk » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:41 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
The fun is inherent, Lance. Fantasy football enhances the enjoyment of watching real football. Whether it is head to head, with playoffs, without playoffs...it doesen't matter, it'll be popular because football is a great tv sport.

My opinion means little. I happened to enjoy fantasy more when playoffs were not a part of the plan. I knew I would be in the minority with that statement. No big deal. Hi Mr. Doughboys!

I read your post and liked what you had to say...may I join your minority?

-Jules

p.s. Very messy divorce from Josh H. this year, it might have tainted me from baseball for awhile.
[/QUOTE]Hi Jules ,

You are always welcome. I need all the company I can get!

On the other matter, I'm glad you've dropped Josh like a hot potato. The guy was a one night stand. Evan has treated you a lot nicer and has a nicer future.

The good thing about being a pedophile ;) is that there is always someone even better looking working his way up to the Bigs.

[ November 07, 2009, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

botherk

Post by botherk » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:56 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
This sounds great for a satellite league!

Now...as for a main event? Football is so short. The entire process plays out in 16 games.

Baseball can play 16 games in 3 weeks.

No comparison.

Saying one team is better than another over 3 or 4 weeks is damn near the same as saying they were better over 11 or 12 weeks. Both are small samples.

Let me know when you find a game of nearly 90-100% skill that also requires a $1400 investment to play that is taking the nation by storm.

Luck factoring in is what makes most games fun.

A 16 week (or 17 :rolleyes: ) all points competition is just about as boring as it gets.

A startup company that used that as its platform would go belly up.

These playoff and luck factors must be good for the game itself to attract enough players to be profitable. More people would drop out due to lack of fun than lack of luck. See...you're back, Uncle Dan! :D (and you may be one of a handful that left or never joined for that reason)

Take away the luck, and/or make the game boring, and they'd be leaving in droves.

Like every other post ever posted...just my opinion. We may have become polar opposites, Lance!
I disagree with every line in your post!
Can't wait to see you in Vegas this year, will it be the Flamingo, Bellagio, or both?
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz