First come, First served - After Blind Bids are processed...

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:10 am

Maybe we can also try to have in-game pickups :rolleyes: I would've loved to pick somebody up for Branch/Holems this week.

If this were implemented, I would rarely bid on ANYBODY. The majority of the players I acquire don't have runnerup bids. Since this is often the case, I would just wait and see the best players available and make my moves accordingly, without spending any money.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone can think this is a good idea.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:10 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
quote:Originally posted by TexasHeat:

Chime in... This was brought up last season. Was it by you? If so, why bring it up again??

It's one of the worst ideas EVER proposed on the MB's.
[/QUOTE]Great input!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:27 am

Originally posted by TexasHeat:
thanks for the "input"

As I said in my final statement (I doubt you got that far)- I'm more interested to hear why this might not be a good idea, and why it hasn't been used to this point. Because it is Bush League isn't a reason why this might not be a good idea?

It is bush league, try Yahoo if you want to pick up guys anytime.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:42 am

"Bush league is a general term used to describe an action or thing as being amateur, inferior or crude. In a literal sense, it refers to a low quality minor-league in baseball not associated with any of the major league teams. The term originated from the state of minor-league fields that often were ringed with shrubs and bushes."

Kind of interesting. :D

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

dcc1973

Post by dcc1973 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:19 pm

I'm very against having a "first come, first served" bidding process in any form. It's rare when someone comes up lame in pregame warm-ups. However, as you carry 18 players and start 10, everyone has the ability to plan for this each week (you know you're taking a risk if you don't have an alternative at a position, or should know). Injuries are normally well documented during the week and everyone has the ability to know by Friday night where their injury problems are.

The only way any type of "first come, first served" situation would be tolerable is if each transaction after bidding closed for the week cost a flat fee of, say, $200 per transaction. At least this way, each team would be penalized (not rewarded) for not bidding on a player during the weekly bids.

TexasHeat

Post by TexasHeat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:34 am

I never meant to give the impression that I thought it was a good idea personally for this contest, though I was curious what everyone else felt about it. After reading my initial post, it does sound that I leaned that way and I should have worded it differently. I had a good reason to solicit the opinons of the board on this matter and appreciate those that responded.
"That's how you become great man, hang your balls out there"

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:35 am

Originally posted by David Comings:
The only way any type of "first come, first served" situation would be tolerable is if each transaction after bidding closed for the week cost a flat fee of, say, $200 per transaction. At least this way, each team would be penalized (not rewarded) for not bidding on a player during the weekly bids. So if I understand you correctly:

If a player goes from being worth a $0 FAAB bid to a $950 bid on Saturday afternoon due to a sudden injury or unfortunate incident, then the person who happens to be sitting at their computer at the right moment pays $200 to get that player.

How exactly is that tolerable?

TexasHeat

Post by TexasHeat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:36 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:

It's one of the worst ideas EVER proposed on the MB's. Sorry to have wasted your time... :confused:
"That's how you become great man, hang your balls out there"

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:14 am

Originally posted by TexasHeat:
I never meant to give the impression that I thought it was a good idea personally for this contestSo why propose it?