Having input in draft slot selection

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:13 am

Collusion example:

Gordo, Indy and Skipman all end up in the same league and all bid $600+ on positions 1-3. By drafting as a block at picks 1-3 they can do a number of subtle things to position one team much better than the rest of the league. Add a 4th team into the mix and throw in a couple Buckhalter and Shipp type owners into a league and the group essentially has invested $5000 for a 30-40% shot at $100K, plus a virtual guarantee of getting their $5000 back for winning the league.

By subtle things I mean leaving the 25th and 26th best players there for team one. And in all subsequent rounds let one of the teams continually get the best player from a grouping. Or having complete control over the position runs. They could suck the top 8 QB’s off the board or draw out the top tier of the WR’s in the 2nd-3rd round. They could take positions off the board in chunks of 4-8 etc..

Let anyone in a draft where they have three cohorts drafting in slots beside them and watch the damage that can be done.

[ September 28, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: nnoy ]

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:19 am

Holy Crap! Consistently getting the best of a grouping of three players!

Someone getting the 138th ranked player in the 140th spot? And the 166th in the 168th spot?

That would be awful.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

skipman

Post by skipman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:20 am

NNOY,

You are off of your rocker. You mean to tell me that the 15 page rule book I signed off on would all of a sudden become unfathomable to the simple cave men that my want to join next year.

If people on this board quickly picked up on it from the random thoughts that Gekko jotted down, I am confident that the NFFC crew can polish it up and make it accessible to the unwashed masses.

We may not all have big brains like you NNoy, but I think we can handle it.

fcphantom

Post by fcphantom » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:20 am

nnoy - I don't see how that could ever pay off. basically you're talking about trying to load up one of the three teams which means at most you're letting the #3 pick get a player five spots better than they should every other round.

Even if they do this (which would really only matter in rounds 1, 3 and 5 anyway) they are then paying for three teams but counting on one team to avoid injury and take the title. Plus that team would have very little free agent budget for adjustments.

I think the possible drawback would be far outweighed by the added strategy angle.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:22 am

Obviously the real advantage comes in the first few rounds. Additionally the statistical advantage gained by getting the RB’s in picks 1-4 that are a standard deviation above the other RB’s in the league would make this block of owners almost unbeatable.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:27 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
If you are among those that truly believe post position doesn't count, then you can save all your FAAB dollars for the season and get the random position that is left. You will immediately have an advantage over everybody foolish enough to bid on a position and win it.

The neat thing about the idea is that it allows for any theory on the issue and allows you to put your money where your thoughts are. [/QB][/quote]

It's not a belief. It's based on data from commishing about 700 14-team, 20 player drafts the past 20 years.

An owner's ability to draft, manage his FAAB, set his lineups and get LUCKY avoiding major injuries far outweigh, FAR outweigh any draft position.

The Top 2 teams are both #13. Doubt they are using draft position as a crutch like GG.

GG talks about wasting board space. Pot meet kettle.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:28 am

Originally posted by nnoy:
Gordo, Indy and Skipman all end up in the same league and all bid $600+ on positions 1-3. Assuming that all three of you are in the same league...
1) How do you know another owner or even two or three wouldn't bid more than Gordo, Indy and Skipman?
2) FA's play a large role in determining who the winners will be. They would be at a disadvantage throughout the ENTIRE season.
3) If I'm picking third next year, couldn't I talk to the owners picking 1st and 2nd and tell them we could really screw the league if we all drafted QB's with our 2nd and 3rd round picks? The only people you would screw is yourself. You see what your two QB's got you. nnoy never learns. always behind the curve...
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:29 am

(2) it would open this thing up to collusion.As a game operator, this is why it will never be done. Very good point.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:31 am

Originally posted by Indy Rules:
NNOY

I'd like to hear an example of how this opens up any possible collusion that couldn't currently exist. How naive are you?

It's obvious many think it's so important, they'd be willing to pay others not to bid.

The moment the name are posted on this board, offers would fly like Manning's first half passes.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:32 am

Collusion example:

Gordo, Indy and Skipman all end up in the same league and all bid $600+ on positions 1-3. By drafting as a block at picks 1-3 they can do a number of subtle things to position one team much better than the rest of the league. Add a 4th team into the mix and throw in a couple Buckhalter and Shipp type owners into a league and the group essentially has invested $5000 for a 30-40% shot at $100K, plus a virtual guarantee of getting their $5000 back for winning the league.

By subtle things I mean leaving the 25th and 26th best players there for team one. And in all subsequent rounds let one of the teams continually get the best player from a grouping. Or having complete control over the position runs. They could suck the top 8 QB’s off the board or draw out the top tier of the WR’s in the 2nd-3rd round. They could take positions off the board in chunks of 4-8 etc..

Let anyone in a draft where they have three cohorts drafting in slots beside them and watch the damage that can be done. Case #14763 of 65290