Having input in draft slot selection

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:33 am

Originally posted by UFS:
It's not a belief. It's based on data from commishing about 700 14-team, 20 player drafts the past 20 years. Great, take the #14 spot and keep your $1000 FA$. My guess is that you are one who doesn't believe that all draft slots are created equal.

The Top 2 teams are both #13. Doubt they are using draft position as a crutch like GG.

GG talks about wasting board space. Pot meet kettle. Sorry champ. You just described yourself. behind the curve. you stick with what you know. Thanks.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

skipman

Post by skipman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:33 am

You have to be kidding me with that example NNOY. I would invite such collusion. If two teams throw away their picks so the 3rd can get a better pick, then all the other teams will benefit also. Trust me on this one, I was drafting in LV 2 where 3 teams were throwing away picks inadvertantly. If you want to pay 3 fees to increase the other 11 teams chances, I welcome it.

On the other hand, if two teams are trying to pick one spot lower on the talent to free up a little better talent for the other guy, then they are also fools. I dont think any 3 people can agree on talent assessments for players that close together. Even if they could the would more likely than not be wrong.

Lastly, you have to sign up before you know what league you are in. The chances of all three landing in same league are unlikely.

With all that said, I must admit that I am just a simple cave man. The grey matter gifted among us (and you know who you are) may be able to take advantage of the rubes like myself.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:36 am

Originally posted by Rob K:
nnoy - I don't see how that could ever pay off. basically you're talking about trying to load up one of the three teams which means at most you're letting the #3 pick get a player five spots better than they should every other round.

Even if they do this (which would really only matter in rounds 1, 3 and 5 anyway) they are then paying for three teams but counting on one team to avoid injury and take the title. Plus that team would have very little free agent budget for adjustments.

I think the possible drawback would be far outweighed by the added strategy angle. Please understand that the PERCEPTION of collusion can be just as damaging as the collusion itself.

A game operator can not have the perception of it any where if it to sustain itself.

Would you ever join an event if the possibility of 3,4,5 owners getting together could happen?

NN points out what, 20-1 pot odds?

Where are those Black Jack guys from MIT when you need them?

It is a great idea, but it does have some flaws and I doubt Greg and Tom could put there reps on that line.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:39 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
[QB]
2) FA's play a large role in determining who the winners will be. LOL. Pot meet kettle meet John Kerry.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:39 am

It's obvious many think it's so important, they'd be willing to pay others not to bid.

The moment the name are posted on this board, offers would fly like Manning's first half passes. sort of like Survivor. you think you can trust someone and then next thing you know, you're voted out. if any offers are made, that would be collusion. IN ANY EVENT, if you think all draft slots are equal, then it wouldn't matter where owners draft.

CURRENTLY, i could contact all the owners in my league and say i'll give each of them $25 if they won't bid on K.Collins this week. how do you address this? thanks.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

skipman

Post by skipman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:43 am

Originally posted by nnoy:
Obviously the real advantage comes in the first few rounds. Additionally the statistical advantage gained by getting the RB’s in picks 1-4 that are a standard deviation above the other RB’s in the league would make this block of owners almost unbeatable. NNOY is right,

If 3 teams colluded to get the 1,2 and 3 draft positions, they could form an unbeatable block by drafting the 3 best RBs available right out of the box. This would throw the other teams for a loop cause this would be so unexpected. I wish I was smart enough to think of great plans like this.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:43 am

quote:Originally posted by UFS:
It's not a belief. It's based on data from commishing about 700 14-team, 20 player drafts the past 20 years. Great, take the #14 spot and keep your $1000 FA$. My guess is that you are one who doesn't believe that all draft slots are created equal.

The Top 2 teams are both #13. Doubt they are using draft position as a crutch like GG.

GG talks about wasting board space. Pot meet kettle. Sorry champ. You just described yourself. behind the curve. you stick with what you know. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]There is a different strategy that maximizes results for every slot. And when used wisely, the results would not very much at all.

What it sounds like to me, is that you don't know what the best strategy is at #13. One day you'll learn. Especially if you keep getting it every year! LOL.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:45 am

Originally posted by skipman:
You have to be kidding me with that example NNOY. I would invite such collusion. If two teams throw away their picks so the 3rd can get a better pick, then all the other teams will benefit also. Trust me on this one, I was drafting in LV 2 where 3 teams were throwing away picks inadvertantly. If you want to pay 3 fees to increase the other 11 teams chances, I welcome it.

On the other hand, if two teams are trying to pick one spot lower on the talent to free up a little better talent for the other guy, then they are also fools. I dont think any 3 people can agree on talent assessments for players that close together. Even if they could the would more likely than not be wrong.

Lastly, you have to sign up before you know what league you are in. The chances of all three landing in same league are unlikely.

With all that said, I must admit that I am just a simple cave man. The grey matter gifted among us (and you know who you are) may be able to take advantage of the rubes like myself. All good points, but 3 owners, could easily make friends on these boards quickly and exchange a few e-mails and get the ball rolling.

Also, next year, it would be even easier as any 3 of the regulars here that wind up in the same league could talk about it.

Again, it's the perception that matters most to the game operator.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:48 am

quote:Originally posted by UFS:
It's obvious many think it's so important, they'd be willing to pay others not to bid.

The moment the name are posted on this board, offers would fly like Manning's first half passes. sort of like Survivor. you think you can trust someone and then next thing you know, you're voted out. if any offers are made, that would be collusion. IN ANY EVENT, if you think all draft slots are equal, then it wouldn't matter where owners draft.

CURRENTLY, i could contact all the owners in my league and say i'll give each of them $25 if they won't bid on K.Collins this week. how do you address this? thanks.
[/QUOTE]If I have 100% proof, then you are removed without refund. That's how I address it. It would be in the rules.

skipman

Post by skipman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:52 am

UFS,

Now I know why people have taken the time to rank you as a 1 star member.