Having input in draft slot selection

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:47 pm

I'm going to San Antonio tomorrow and can relate to the Mexican girls. I still remember the blonde twins in Indiana though. Very accomodating pair who both thought they could shoot tequila with a Texas A&M grad. :D
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:51 pm

Now I like Skippy's idea, Gordon. You can try it in the invitational next year to get the bugs out on a smaller scale.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:55 pm

Originally posted by I Cojones:
Is it really more fun and exciting to add this "strategy" to the game. I think so. Owners are going to be placed in leagues and assigned a draft slot anyways. this way gives them some input into where they draft. i still don't understand why you are against it? can you pinpoint a specific reason?

Lets let people bid for how many flex players they can use in a particular week. Lets let people bid for what time their lineup locks. Lets let people bid for the ability to make a second free agent pick up in a given week. Lets let people bid to double the score of one player in a given week. Lets let people bid to make RB receptions worth 1 full point. Lets let people bid to add extra draft picks. These are rules. You would need to change/amend, not "bid".

The nerds who like this sort of thing have already signed up. I don't agree with that. A lot of potential owners probably didn't hear about this event in time.

Everyone else wants fantasy football that looks a lot like what they have been playing for the last ten years. You must work (or interact) with robots.

Why do you thing the Draft Masters (tradmark) and auction leagues don't attract the same number of entrants as the traditional league? DVDs didn't go "mainstream" once they came out. soon they'll be replacing VHS. just because you have a business model that is successful NOW, doesn't mean it will be successful next year or in 5 years, etc...you need to constantly look for ways to improve or else you're history, much like the WCOFB. if you can be innovative and a trend setter, you might be able to gain a larger market share.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:02 pm

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Now I like Skippy's idea, Gordon. You can try it in the invitational next year to get the bugs out on a smaller scale. or we could try it in a mid-season league?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:07 pm

Originally posted by Skippy:
And that said, perhaps this idea can be used on a trial basis with a league connected to NFFC. you guys are too funny. you make it sound like it's some experimental drug that could have life-threatening side-effects. it's merely a better way to allocate draft slots. you'll still have owners doing their best to make the best selection with every pick.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:17 pm

GG -- I noticed you selectively left the one example that best makes my point.

Why not allow people bid to set their schedules and determine which teams they play in which week? The schedule selection process is equally as random as the current draft order process, and probably has more impact than draft order. I am in second place in NY6, even though I only have the fourth most points -- purely due to the vagaries of the random schedule. And unlike draft order, no amount of strategy or skill can make up any schedule inequities. So allowing people to bid on their schedules actually makes a whole lot more sense than bidding on draft order.

I love how you make business world references and analogies to everything. DVDs didn't catch on right away because the machines were $1000 and the software was $40. Had nothing to do with people clinging to VHS. And to discredit another one of your intelligent-sounding but ultimately shallow analogies, being a trendsetter with an easily duplicatable "innovation" means little. And the advantage of innovations like this one would last as long as it takes a good HTML coder to modify a FAAB system to do draft order bidding (30, perhaps 45 minutes). The somewhat sustainable advantage that WCOFF has right now isn't innovation, it is first-mover's advantage -- a benefit that is fleeting as well, but it has a little more legs to it than 30-45 minutes.

Greg will overcome that advantage by being a straight-up honest man who doesn't even know how to be a jackass. Not by trotting out new rules for innovation's sake.

On another topic, yes, I do happen to work with many robots, but I still believe people want a ruleset they are comfortable and familiar with before they plunk down $1250.

Let me guess -- daytrader?
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:18 pm

Gordon

In light of the comment to "keep it simple" why not continue to work out the bugs, then at the end of the season have an all out poll. I'm sure Greg could put this all into a easy to understand format then everyone could vote yes or no.

Clean, simple, with all discussion finished.
Based on the response, Greg could decide during the off season whether or not he feels good about endorsing it.

By the way - are you ignoring me? I know I know - the comment about NNOY crossed the line. Alright already I'm sorry, I misjudged your intellect. Can a rookie catch a break?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:42 pm

GG -- Why not allow people bid to set their schedules and determine which teams they play in which week? The schedule selection process is equally as random as the current draft order process, and probably has more impact than draft order. I am in second place in NY6, even though I only have the fourth most points -- purely due to the vagaries of the random schedule. And unlike draft order, no amount of strategy or skill can make up any schedule inequities. So allowing people to bid on their schedules actually makes a whole lot more sense than bidding on draft order. Hey if you think that's valuable, you fight the fight. i'm only one person. my guess is that you're not much of a leader. more like a follower.

I love how you make business world references and analogies to everything. DVDs didn't catch on right away because the machines were $1000 and the software was $40. Had nothing to do with people clinging to VHS. That's BS. There were years in which the prices were much lower than that, and it still didn't catch on. sort of a transition period. much like fantasy football is in.

And to discredit another one of your intelligent-sounding but ultimately shallow analogies, being a trendsetter with an easily duplicatable "innovation" means little. First to offer something is always a plus in marketing, even if it can be duplicated. it shows your company is innovative. most people want to be around excitement, not a cemetery. maybe you're different?

Greg will overcome that advantage by being a straight-up honest man who doesn't even know how to be a jackass. Not by trotting out new rules for innovation's sake. That'll change though. If the WCOFF is smart, they'll change their customer service skills...which i believe they are already doing.

On another topic, yes, I do happen to work with many robots go figure. couldn't tell from your posts.

I still believe people want a ruleset they are comfortable and familiar with before they plunk down $1250. i was never in a 14 team league before, but i gave it a try. see trying something new can be fun. loosen up

Let me guess -- daytrader? hehe

[ September 28, 2004, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:45 pm

Originally posted by Indy Rules:
why not continue to work out the bugs when i was a wee little kid, i think i had bugs, but i've been clean since at least last year.

[ September 28, 2004, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:15 pm

Without reading 5 1/2 pages of posts....what the heck is the arguement here?
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again