Having input in draft slot selection

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:25 pm

Liquid, just as Vegas had to have 8 pages to vent about having to play with 18 players instead of 20, Gordon is venting over the fact that out of 4 leagues, his best draft spot was #6. Figures if he can't get it randomly, maybe he can talk someone into letting him buy it.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:28 pm

The "it" is the draft spot of his choice.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:43 pm

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Liquid, just as Vegas had to have 8 pages to vent about having to play with 18 players instead of 20, Gordon is venting over the fact that out of 4 leagues, his best draft spot was #6. Figures if he can't get it randomly, maybe he can talk someone into letting him buy it. Wow...their is alot of dialogue about something really silly.

Who cares about draft spot? You can win in any spot. Its not a lock to win if you draft @ 6 or under.

I am sure I wouldnt be unhappy with Moss- Thomas Jones - Curtis Martin - Joe Horn - McNabb - and throw in Roy Williams somewhere and a few other overachievers thus far.

Cant we discuss something more important? Maybe the impact of Bill Parcells as a coach of a mediocre team....but they win some how
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:53 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
Again, it's the perception that matters most to the game operator. didn't an owner draft buckhalter and shipp? doesn't that impact the integrity of the event (much like collusion does)? do you think that other owners in that league just got an advantage over the rest of us in the overall scheme? a small advantage, but still an advantage. [/QUOTE]good point, but that's not collusion, just lack of preparation. And know one knows which league(s) that's going to happen in before the event.

I think it's legally not wise for Greg/KP to give out player info before the draft.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:00 pm

Originally posted by Dyv:
I like the notion, in general... how about this variant (Gekko, still achieves what you're looking for, right?)

You put in a bid of how much of your FA budget you are willing to spend and you rank your preferred draft positions from 1-14.

This is all done pre-league draw - or pre knowledge of league draw.

So, I might input this data to the system:

$122

The leagues are drawn and then the bids are pulled with the highest bid getting preference in their order. In this case, maybe my $122 bid is the 10th highest in the league, but I end up with my 4th choice anyway because nobody else wanted it.

This variance and the blind process can eliminate the 'real' chance of collusion.

This would be a great amount of fun IMHO, and any objections have not yet been met by anything a little thought and creativity can't counter.

I see no perception of collusion here, John. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Dave Interesting concept... Don't see any.

If I were to bid, and I doubt I would, I'd like to be able to slpa a $ figure on each draft spot.

$3 for slot 4, $10 for #12, etc..

I also don't think this has to be automated.

All Greg has to do is send a mass e-mail to all. Or even create a simple link to a form with 1 to 14 on it, you put your $$ next to the draft slot, and fire away.

He then randomly selects league members, takes there forms and goes from there.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:07 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Now I like Skippy's idea, Gordon. You can try it in the invitational next year to get the bugs out on a smaller scale. or we could try it in a mid-season league? [/QUOTE]This post makes me feel real old. LOL.

You know, back in the 'ole days, I'm talking mid to late '80's, we did this all the time to test out new ideas and concepts.

Count me in.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:41 pm

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Now I like Skippy's idea, Gordon. You can try it in the invitational next year to get the bugs out on a smaller scale. or we could try it in a mid-season league? [/QUOTE]This post makes me feel real old. LOL.

You know, back in the 'ole days, I'm talking mid to late '80's, we did this all the time to test out new ideas and concepts.

Count me in.
[/QUOTE]Will wait to hear back from Greg on the ability to have Stats manage it and Krause deal with the credit card issues.

If so, I think a mid season bid draft slot league could easily be put together and draft next week.

Post indications of interest and we'll have something formal posted by Thursday if Greg can assist in the experimental mid season league.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:08 pm

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
Without reading 5 1/2 pages of posts....what the heck is the arguement here? the argument was whether people who don't take the time to at least read the 1st post in a thread should be able to comment on the topic. you clearly are the "test case" in this one. thanks for participating.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:09 pm

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
Who cares about draft spot? You can win in any spot. great, then you'd love this idea
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:15 pm

Gekko -- my hats off to you. I tried to bait you as much as I could and you remained level-headed throughout. I'm losing my touch in my old age. Must be fatherhood.

Ico

PS Don't I WISH that I worked with robots. That would be cool.

PPS I don't really love the idea, but I really don't have strong feelings one way or another about your idea -- but I do love sparring with you.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.