Having input in draft slot selection

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:27 am

Originally posted by I Cojones:
I do love sparring with you. good thing i have an infinite amount of time to conduct "sparring" with people. it's not like i have a job or people that require my time.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:36 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Liquid, just as Vegas had to have 8 pages to vent about having to play with 18 players instead of 20, Gordon is venting over the fact that out of 4 leagues, his best draft spot was #6. Figures if he can't get it randomly, maybe he can talk someone into letting him buy it. your statements are out of context. EVERYONE can benefit from this. if you think i'm venting, that's wrong as well. i did my "venting" before the season started.

in addition, i have a couple of other ideas inside my head that will be good/exciting for KP and NFFC/NFBC customers. if i only had the time to get this stuff done on paper. maybe in a few weeks...

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:20 am

Are you guys having any fun with this yet? I wondered earlier if the Message Boards would be dead between games, but it's apparent they won't be as long as Gekko is around! :D

Fine discussion gentlemen and like I've said often, I'm watching the discussions and taking notes. I've already told Gordon and Dyv that I will try to work with STATS and run a mid-season league with this concept if it's possible. We're working on that now. I'm not sure this is a concept to introduce to the masses in 2005 as I'm trying to double or triple the size of my audience, but if Gordon, Dyv, Tamu and others want to try the concept out in a mid-season game and pay for that, then I'll do what I can to help them out in the next week or so.

Yes, this was a concept Gordon pitched to me in July and I told him it was interesting. I certainly couldn't throw it out for the NFFC in 2004. While the concept of picking or bidding for your favorite draft selection has some merit, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using your in-season FAAB money to do that. There's a reason it's called Free Agent Allocation Budget: You're bidding for free agents.

I'm not throwing cold water on this fire because the thread has some meat (or is that heat?) to it, but is there any other option outside of using your FAAB money? Can you pick the leagues, pick 1 through 14 and then allow 1 the right to pick his spot first (maybe he wants 4) and go straight through all 14 picking their favorite spots? It may not help 13 and 14 much, but you never know.

I love the enthusiasm here, but there is one way to make sure you have a shot at every player that you want: It's called an Auction League. That's the one league where if you are willing to pay the price, you can have whomever you want. The tax collector just catches up to you when you have $10 left for 10 players!!!

I'll go away and let this thread keep going. It's possible for KP and STATS to do anything together operationally here with this idea and as long as we eliminate collusion I'm not adverse to trying new ideas and becoming a trailblazer when it comes to a new concept. But it has to be simple enough, well thought out, and fair to everyone. Putting some strategy into your draft position has some merit, but I'm not sure the perfect formula has been presented yet.

Now I'll go away for a bit. But keep the fun rolling.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:26 am

Greg, I think it's a matter of choice. Do I personally feel I can be best impacted by the right draft position or the most FA money?

In baseball, I'd never pay for draft position... there's too many players all season for the FA wire and I want every $1 I can get. Then again, I would pay $15 for a pick I favor... $15 can't hurt can it? Well, if $15 is okay, maybe I'd drop $30. I can do without $30, etc.

The bottom line is it's my CHOICE - and that's what I like about the notion.

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:17 am

this idea is not finalized yet. with the "people involved" i think we can present something worth at least looking at. i understand it's a new concept and appreciate your ear.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:20 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Putting some strategy into your draft position has some merit guess that begs the question, do all draft slots have an equal chance of winning? no need to answer that question.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:36 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Putting some strategy into your draft position has some merit guess that begs the question, do all draft slots have an equal chance of winning? no need to answer that question. [/QUOTE]cuz I already did :)

Let me put it this way. I know from 20 years that I have about 20 customers I can say w/o a shadow of a doubt, that draft position does not matter. They win, or finish in the money 97% of the time, no matter where the select. They are simply more skilled at playing the game, and they are better judges of talent.

So when you raise this question, it's not about the draft slot, it's about your level of play. You'll never see someone whom has mastered a skill ever complain about this type of thing. They don't waste their valuable energy on such trivial matter.

After 3 weeks here, I can already spot some of these owners by looking at their drafts and their FA moves.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:48 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Liquid, just as Vegas had to have 8 pages to vent about having to play with 18 players instead of 20, Gordon is venting over the fact that out of 4 leagues, his best draft spot was #6. Figures if he can't get it randomly, maybe he can talk someone into letting him buy it. Tamu, If you don't like the discussions, then don't participate. These are discussions, you know, on a discussion board, where poeple discuss things in a forum where they can be discussed. Am I getting thorugh to you? And again, since you don't remember, we were asked about our opinions.

wlfskp

Post by wlfskp » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:18 am

Fresno's 2 cents...I love the idea Gordon...hats off to you. Now as to an earlier comment. Yes skipman was the player that drafted Culpepper with the #3 pick in the second round after we took Thomas Jones with the #4 pick. Now lets see after 3 weeks...jones and McNabb versus Culpepper...hmmm I will stand by our drafting.
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." -
-- Mark Twain
Play FF like its a new day -- Fanatics

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:45 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
guess that begs the question, do all draft slots have an equal chance of winning? no need to answer that question. To answer that question effectively, you'd need a far greater sample size than one season's worth of the NFFC, however. To effectively answer that question you'd need years of data from leagues to see what trends, if any, emerged in terms of the correlation between draft position and seasonal success. There are so many variables that enter into a winning season and I personally believe draft position, while important, is not the greatest variable.

For example, if you told me that I could have any pick in a 14-team league with the cavaet being that only the 14th pick was guaranteed to not have a single injured player on my roster all season long, I'd take that spot without a second thought. To me, injuries, not draft spot is the greatest factor that impacts a successful season. After that, other variables such as your own skill, the skill of others in your league and good old-fashioned luck are other factors I would rank above draft position.

My personal preference for draft position is right in the middle of the first round. But let's say, for example, I picked there and wound up with McAllister, Stephen Davis and Steve Smith as my first three picks. I would leave draft day feeling pretty good about that lineup, but it sure wouldn't have taken long for me to feel like my season was falling apart before it ever began.

This stuff is definitely fun to read and you guys are coming up with some really interesting and innovative ideas, no doubt about it. I just have a differing view of the importance of draft position.

[ September 29, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich