Having input in draft slot selection

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:08 am

Tom, you nailed it on all counts. I'm sure that is the majority view, not the differing one.

That's exactly how I see it after running conference call/live drafts for 20 years.

I like GG idea for a few reasons.
1) It adds more fun!
2) It adds more strategy for those that think this is important.

I really feel this akin to something like, let's bring up something we all didn't like...... oh yeah, Kahuna having his poker tourney and giving all his novice poker player owners an extra 200 chips against the ringers that were let in. I'm sure those getting the 200 would think they had a phenominal chance at winning when in reality, their poor decisions would still cost them simply cuz the ringers know exactly how to play every hand.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:24 am

I don't like it. Because I'm an old man and I hate everything but Matlock. Ooh! It's on now.

[ September 29, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: I Cojones ]
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:35 am

But the great thing about Gordan's idea is that it caters to both views on the importance of draft position.

If you strongly believe that position has no impact over the full season, then save your FAAB to pick up injury replacements.

If you strongly believe that position gives an edge, then spend your FAAB.

I just don't see the downside.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:44 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
But the great thing about Gordan's idea is that it caters to both views on the importance of draft position.

If you strongly believe that position has no impact over the full season, then save your FAAB to pick up injury replacements.

If you strongly believe that position gives an edge, then spend your FAAB.

I just don't see the downside. I agree with this.

I would love to have more FAAB $$ than someone else going into the season and then watch them lose LT, Garner, S.Smith with #1/2 pick. Can't wait to watch the board light up when they complain about how unfair it is.

I think Greg should keep it FAAB $$. Maybe call it DRFAAB. LOL. DRafet Free Agent Aquisistion Budget
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:46 am

Agreed JP - and who wouldn't invest $1 in a 'good' draft position just in case 4-5 other owners refuse to spend a single dollar... or maybe go $2 on a slot in case only $1 bids came in... what's $12 afterall... I do like getting a solid player....

Zaleski - I understand you have a lot of 14 team league experience, but do you feel that from top to bottom the owners in your leagues are 'as good as' or 'experienced as' or 'prepared as' the owners in the NFFC leagues? (there are notable exceptions)

I know the politically correct answer is that your gamers are fantastic and brilliant and they all rock the world, but the reality is you might have 20-30-100 people playing on your system who are (can I say this?) 'at our level' of addiction to fantasy sports. Is it true that if your top 20 played each other one would always win? I think the NFFC has brough some kooks out of the woodwork, but also a significant amount of 'good' gamers. Throw your top 20 into the NFFC next year and tell me if they dominate or not? I've never found a gamer I couldn't beat... but I've found some I can't lose to because they are so ridiculously clueless.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:48 am

Let's get crazy and call it 'Fantasy Cash' and, just like in real life, you can spend it, invest it or blow it any way you want.

D
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:00 am

Originally posted by UFS:
I know from 20 years that I have about 20 customers I can say w/o a shadow of a doubt, that draft position does not matter. They win, or finish in the money 97% of the time, no matter where the select. They are simply more skilled at playing the game, and they are better judges of talent. oh ya? get one of those 20 people to sign up for the mid-season league. with the way you talk, he should be able to eat us for lunch. put your money where your mouth is, right?

So when you raise this question, it's not about the draft slot, it's about your level of play. That's BS. I believe draft slot does count. Level of play matters no matter which draft slot you have.

You'll never see someone whom has mastered a skill ever complain about this type of thing. "Pros" always complain (instant replay, inside pitches, etc...). I think you are shooting in the dark.

After 3 weeks here, I can already spot some of these owners by looking at their drafts and their FA moves. then you should have no problem cleaning up.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:10 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
To answer that question effectively, you'd need a far greater sample size than one season's worth of the NFFC, however. To effectively answer that question you'd need years of data from leagues to see what trends, if any, emerged in terms of the correlation between draft position and seasonal success. There are so many variables that enter into a winning season and I personally believe draft position, while important, is not the greatest variable. Great, in the face of not having enough data to support either position, why not let the consumer have some say in their draft position, instead of some random event? The free market (or modified free market) is always better than a random market.

For example, if you told me that I could have any pick in a 14-team league with the cavaet being that only the 14th pick was guaranteed to not have a single injured player on my roster all season long, I'd take that spot without a second thought. Your example has zero chance of occuring. Using it really just muddies the water.

To me, injuries, not draft spot is the greatest factor that impacts a successful season. After that, other variables such as your own skill, the skill of others in your league and good old-fashioned luck are other factors I would rank above draft position. Yes, but you did rank draft position, so it does have some value. Assuming it does, it shouldn't get randomly given away out of a hat. Why don't you process FA's on a random basis?

My personal preference for draft position is right in the middle of the first round. But let's say, for example, I picked there and wound up with McAllister, Stephen Davis and Steve Smith as my first three picks. I would leave draft day feeling pretty good about that lineup, but it sure wouldn't have taken long for me to feel like my season was falling apart before it ever began. A blind bidding process for draft slots does not remove injuries from the game. Again, this is a moot pt, as injuries can occur to anyone.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:17 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
Great, in the face of not having enough data to support either position, why not let the consumer have some say in their draft position, instead of some random event? The free market (or modified free market) is always better than a random market.

My concern would be that having such a complex system in place would make the overall event less appealing. I think there's a risk involved here so while I do think the idea is quite interesting I would be concerned that it could prevent us from expanding this event the way we believe we can in subsequent years.

Your example has zero chance of occuring. Using it really just muddies the water.

I used it to make the point that I believe injuries are a far greater factor in determining your success each season than draft position.

Yes, but you did rank draft position, so it does have some value. Assuming it does, it shouldn't get randomly given away out of a hat. Why don't you process FA's on a random basis?

Yes draft position, but I would rank it considerably lower than several other factors. But that's just personal opinion. As far as in-season moves, I would place that much higher on the list of factors than draft position as well.

A blind bidding process for draft slots does not remove injuries from the game. Again, this is a moot pt, as injuries can occur to anyone. Agreed. But the point is I believe draft position is far less important in determining how your team does each season than other factors.

[ September 29, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:35 am

My concern would be that having such a complex system in place would make the overall event less appealing. I think there's a risk involved here so while I do think the idea is quite interesting I would be concerned that it could prevent us from expanding this event the way we believe we can in subsequent years. Exactly, it needs to be simple. 2 questions Tom.
1) I don't think a blind bidding process would be any more complicated than the blind bidding process in place for FA's. If an owner can perform weekly blind bidding on FA's I'm sure they can blind bid for draft slots. Thoughts?
2) Why don't you process FA's on a random basis?

Interested in hearing your thoughts, esp on #2. Thanks.