Fast Facts After Week 3

RiFF

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by RiFF » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:35 am

Although I agree it is probably way to early to draw any conclusions, I totally disagree with Lou that your data "really doesn't show anything", Rob. Its a very good representation of what is occurring at each draft slot. Lou, I believe your data would probably be easier to understand if you used a number of teams with a multiple of 14. Maybe 84 instead of 75.

3INTBOY

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by 3INTBOY » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:36 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
Lou,

The only thing you are right about is that it is way too early to have this discussion.

I am going to try not to post on this topic until January of 2008.
Thats why I didn't add any, but it's interesting to follow.

3'

ETA: Not sure what I'm wrong about. These are the #'s. But I would imagine thats a figure of speach.

RIFF-

The numbers Rob ran are confirmation of the known averages. Nothing bad, I may have put it in a less than polite form, not intended.

75 is relevant, multiples of 14 really have no statistical bearing, its the sample size that matters.

[ September 25, 2007, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: 3INT/BFDFANTASYfootball.com ]

Greg Ambrosius

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:56 am

Originally posted by 3INT/BFDFANTASYfootball.com:
Because I know Greg thinks I'm against 3RR, I would like to make the following statement: This is neither for or against 3RR, it's the math that shows what is occuring. Nothing more.

I'd comment on it, but think it is too early, it's good to get a baseline set of numbers started and modified each week. Lou, as long as you have 5 draft spots (10-14) representing the bottom portion of your stats, you might as well have 5 draft spots (1-5) representing the top portion of your stats, leaving the middle four spots (6-9) alone. It doesn't make sense to compare the top to the bottom if the top has only four draft spots and the bottom has five spots.

Other than that, carry on with the facts. Rob is correct, there's no reason to comment on 3RR until the season is done because the facts will continue to change each week going forward. Whether they are facts in favor or against each of our arguments, editorializing now makes no sense until we see how this plays out. But feel free to keep posting your Top 75 facts each week as they are as fun to analyze as Rob's weekly numbers and our Top 36 totals. I love 'em all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

3INTBOY

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by 3INTBOY » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:03 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by 3INT/BFDFANTASYfootball.com:
Because I know Greg thinks I'm against 3RR, I would like to make the following statement: This is neither for or against 3RR, it's the math that shows what is occuring. Nothing more.

I'd comment on it, but think it is too early, it's good to get a baseline set of numbers started and modified each week. Lou, as long as you have 5 draft spots (10-14) representing the bottom portion of your stats, you might as well have 5 draft spots (1-5) representing the top portion of your stats, leaving the middle four spots (6-9) alone. It doesn't make sense to compare the top to the bottom if the top has only four draft spots and the bottom has five spots.

Other than that, carry on with the facts. Rob is correct, there's no reason to comment on 3RR until the season is done because the facts will continue to change each week going forward. Whether they are facts in favor or against each of our arguments, editorializing now makes no sense until we see how this plays out. But feel free to keep posting your Top 75 facts each week as they are as fun to analyze as Rob's weekly numbers and our Top 36 totals. I love 'em all.
[/QUOTE]Greg,

I could do that, it's not a problem. But that has been factored in by using the value of each spot.
Ie: 5.3 teams for each pick should be represented in the Top 75.

So there really isn't a change in the math.

3'

I just checked and I can get the weekly standings so when I have timne I'll adjust the total # to 84 teams.

[ September 25, 2007, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: 3INT/BFDFANTASYfootball.com ]

Ted's Cracked Head

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:08 am

Lou,

The main thing you are right about is that it is way too early to have this discussion.

I am going to try not to post on this topic until January of 2008.

Changed the word Only to Main as that was a poor choice of verbage. Sorry Lou

[ September 25, 2007, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Ted's Cracked Head ]
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Ted's Cracked Head

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:12 am

One question though:

When we have a statistical sampling of 364 reference points, why only use 75 or 84 of them to make a point? You are selectively throwing out a portion of the data to make your point.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Greg Ambrosius

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:12 am

Lou,

Correct. Except then it would read:

Each position should have 5.3 teams represented if perfect balance were achieved (not possible).

So the End of the draft should have 26.5 Teams it has: 40 teams

The Middle should also have 21.2 Teams it has: 15

The Top should have 26.5 Teams it has: 20 Teams

But again, 3RR won't create perfect equality. NOTHING will. You might as well post the same data for the WCOFF to see how 3RR has affected serpentine drafts. Comparing those two lists would probably tell more of the story, wouldn't it?

Some folks even said that 3RR would help the top teams. Again, it will all play out, but looking at these numbers that hasn't happened yet.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

RiFF

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by RiFF » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14 am

Not that the way I look at it is any more correct than any other method; but I consider the top slots to be 1-3, the mid top to be slots 4-7, the mid late 8-11 and the late slots 12-14. I do not believe slot 5 has much relevance to slot 1 or slot 10 to slot 14. Completely different strategies would (may) be used at these slots.

KOTRAX

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by KOTRAX » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 am

AT THE RATES THINGS ARE GOING WE STILL MAY NOT HAVE A TRUE ASSESMENT. I KNOW INJURIES ARE A PART OF FANTASY FOOTBALL BUT WE ARE ONLY IN WEEK 4 AND ALOT OF MAJOR PEOPLE HAVE GOT INJURED. NOW I KNOW ITS NOT A PERFECT WORLD BUT I STILL FEEL AS THOUGH THE DATA COLLECTED NEEDS TO BASED ON PLAYERS BEING HEALTHY. AT LEAST TO A POINT.

3INTBOY

Fast Facts After Week 3

Post by 3INTBOY » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:43 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
One question though:

When we have a statistical sampling of 364 reference points, why only use 75 or 84 of them to make a point? You are selectively throwing out a portion of the data to make your point. Because as with any sample, you use a portion.

Think in politics when a group of 10000 are polled and that is used to determine the lead a candidate has in a political race.
No adjustments are made to support me, I'm using a 20% sample size. Ample opportunity for the averages to fill out.

The best way to apply it here would be if there are 75 teams then every 5.3 spots should be represented by a draft slot (in a pefect world) that's impossible.
But as I said I could make it 84.

3'