2012 Thursday Games

Hog Wild 20

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Hog Wild 20 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:23 am

It looks like Thursday games are going to last from weeks 2-15 this year. I wonder what this means for NFFC free agency.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

Ted's Cracked Head

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:56 am

Don't they kick off the season week one with a Thursday night game? Is that going to change?
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Hog Wild 20

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Hog Wild 20 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:01 am

I hope not, I thought the opening game was on NBC, so maybe that is staying in place.

Greg Ambrosius

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:05 am

Originally posted by Hog Wild 20:
It looks like Thursday games are going to last from weeks 2-15 this year. I wonder what this means for NFFC free agency.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack It means we better figure out when FAAB is going to run for 2012. We certainly saw this coming and began this discussion during the season.

It's possible that we could still keep FAAB on Friday night. Moving it up to Wednesday or even Thursday before that first game is a possibility. Thursday is an option, as is Friday. It's time to talk...
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BLACKHAND

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:37 am

i think you have to have fa pick ups on wed for sure based on the reason that if your te or kicker gets hurt on sunday and then has a thurs night game you are screwed with a zero you do not deserve. on the other hand you need the fri night fa pick ups for health situations on sunday players. one thing for sure is that if you do have two nites then those players that are cut on wed cant be the pool on fri.

only bad thing is its going to take more time and effort with two free agent pick ups during the week.

[ February 03, 2012, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: THE_BLACKHAND ]
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

King of Queens

2012 Thursday Games

Post by King of Queens » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:45 am

Greg, what do YOU think is the best approach here? Players' standpoint as well as Operator's.

The Franchise

2012 Thursday Games

Post by The Franchise » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:08 am

My opinion:

1. Have "one" FAAB period on Wednesday nights
A. Personal preference because if there are 2 FAAB periods then it means more work so in reality less teams for me. It would also free up my Friday nights (not that it matters being married with 2 kids) :D

B. My general thought is that Wednesday's would be the best because you can push the deadline to a later time for west coast players so they do not feel rushed. I don't think Thursday before game time is a very good option because it means you will force those to do FAAB possibly while at work. Then once players are awarded have to get them into your lineup quickly if they are playing in that Thursday night game.

2. Have the draft be 22 rounds instead of 20 to allow for some extra depth in case of injuries late in the week during practice. This would help alleviate some of the issues that might arise with having Wednesday FAAB.

[ February 03, 2012, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: The Franchise ]
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Greg Ambrosius

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:10 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Greg, what do YOU think is the best approach here? Players' standpoint as well as Operator's. I don't think that two FAAB periods is the answer. I also think Wednesday is too early for FAAB in Weeks 2 to 13. I think we could run FAAB on Thursday at like 4 or 5 p.m. EST and still give people time to set their starting lineup if they need any of those free agents before that night's game. Or we could keep it on Friday night. Seeing who practiced on Friday and getting that last injury report is very important to a lot of players, so obviously I'd lean towards Friday night FAAB.

So my thought process is:
Wednesday night FAAB like we've had before late in the season
Thursday late afternoon FAAB deadline or
Friday night FAAB deadline

Thoughts?

[ February 03, 2012, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

King of Queens

2012 Thursday Games

Post by King of Queens » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:25 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Thoughts? Given these choices, I would go with the latest possible time that gives me access to all of that week's players.

To me, Thursday afternoon is the best option.

Greg Ambrosius

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:47 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Thoughts? Given these choices, I would go with the latest possible time that gives me access to all of that week's players.

To me, Thursday afternoon is the best option.
[/QUOTE]If you were going to pick up a free agent that you specifically needed for that night, you would find time to get him in your starting lineup, wouldn't you say? I mean, I know many of you are at work especially on the West Coast, but if you were picking up one free agent that you had to start that night, you probably could find a way to start him, right? That's the concern Nelson brings up, but if you need him badly enough wouldn't you find a way to get him in your starting lineup?

And then it's as late as we can go without going to two FAAB periods and without missing the Thursday game. Just my two cents.