2012 Thursday Games

BLACKHAND

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:02 am

i think half the time if you only can use the thurs game on wed pickups you wont even use it and still only have fri
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

RedRyder

2012 Thursday Games

Post by RedRyder » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:39 am

I like Frank's idea of Wednesday pick-up only for players in the Thursday game. And that players dropped be locked until the next week.

I also like the idea of two waiver periods.

I like waivers just on Wednesday (least desirable of my likes)

I dislike Thursday waivers, I'm on the West Coast and not always near a computer during normal business hours. Not a good scenario if I make a free agent pick-up for Thursday game, but can't get to my computer in time to change line-up.

I dislike Friday only waivers.

Greg, when can we expect a decision on this matter? Thanks.
@RedRyder

Sandman62

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:50 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
I like Frank's idea of Wednesday pick-up only for players in the Thursday game. And that players dropped be locked until the next week. Agree.

BillyWaz

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:05 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
quote:Originally posted by RedRyder:
I like Frank's idea of Wednesday pick-up only for players in the Thursday game. And that players dropped be locked until the next week. Agree. [/QUOTE]+1

Shrink Attack

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:54 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
quote:Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
greg , is it possible to have the software set up to only include thurs night game on wed and to exclude it on friday. think that would work out all the way around if it can be done. That's still two wavier wires to worry about each week. Two times 20 would have equaled 40 waiver submissions each week for me this past year..... :eek:

I'll do whatever but for me the least favorite part of FF is waivers. I'm just saying that I will definitely have to cut my leagues in half if "m going to do waivers twice a week. I don't mean that as a threat - just trying to be up front about where I'm coming from.

Wayne
[/QUOTE]I can't emphasize how strongly I agree with this point of view. Greg had said at one point that he didn't think two waiver periods was the answer, but it seems momentum might be building to have waiver runs on both Wednesday and another day.

I find the WW process the most time consuming and least desirable aspect of Fantasy Football. Having two WW periods a week for the majority of the season is a deal breaker for me.

It may sound great to say that running a waiver period on Wednesday for only the Thursday players is the fairest and best solution, but there's more than meets the eye here. Maybe other players are smarter and more efficient than I am, and maybe they enjoy the sweat equity that a thorough WW effort requires. But it's a clear over-simplification to think that a Waiver Wire period run on Wednesday involving only Thursday teams would be quick and easy. Doesn't everybody conduct WW research and make WW decisions based on the context of ALL the players available on ALL 32 teams? That type of analysis can't be done in isolation. Even when looking at just the players on the two teams playing Thursday, you'd have to consider their relative value and availability compared to ALL the players available on ALL the teams. Then after spending time deciding which players you want, how much to bid on each player, and then placing those bids, you'd have to repeat THE ENTIRE PROCESS AGAIN two days later. Only this time, more time would be spent factoring in what players were taken, what has changed since then, and repeating the entire effort.

Sorry, but no thanks to that. I echo what Wayne said: I love the NFFC and am very loyal to it, and what I'm about to say is not at all meant to sound like a threat. I simply don't see myself playing in any Fantasy League that requires two waiver periods.

Please know that I'm only speaking for myself personally, not presuming anything else for anybody else. For me, having two Waiver runs would tip the scales from making this hobby fun to making it work. I'm not in it for that. I can see why others would feel differently, and I respect that. And I may very much be in the minority with this point of view. It might be the best business move for the NFFC to go to two Waiver periods. But I, too, feel obligated to be up front and put it on the table by saying I don't see myself playing in the NFFC if it requires two waiver periods the majority of the season.

Paul

[ February 04, 2012, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

BLACKHAND

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:34 am

its hard for me to disagree with wayne's view but i dont think it would take up as much time as you think it would. based on other options like wed which leaves you stuck with injury guys or thurs afternoon which is terrible with a three hour window , i still think two fe pickups is the most fair. matter of fact if it was on thurs afternoon i think im out , so you cant make everyone happy.

wayne , the way you crush us in dc events you dont need ww. :D :D

[ February 04, 2012, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: THE_BLACKHAND ]
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Coltsfan

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:40 am

Well said Paul.

If we do keep it on Fridays then the only thing that changes is that we have an additional burden of looking ahead to the game the following Thursday and making sure we have our options covered in case of an injury. If you have a kicker going the following Thursday and are worried about injuries then drop him and pick up a different kicker or else back him up. It just doesn't seem like it's that big of deal to me.

II can't argue that 2 WW periods isn't the most fair as it is very fair. It just ain't happening for me with the 20 leagues I was in last year.

Wayne

[ February 04, 2012, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Coltsfan ]

Hog Wild 20

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Hog Wild 20 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 am

I'm good with just Friday (maybe adding another roster spot or two) or Wednesday/Friday, with the Wednesday being just for players playing on Thursday. Even for someone with numerous teams I can't see the Wednesday waivers adding that much additional time when you have such a small waiver pool. That being said 2 waiver periods each week might require a lot more programming than its worth.

[ February 04, 2012, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Hog Wild 20 ]

BillyWaz

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:50 am

Any way you could make it that ONLY players in Thursday's game would be available to pick up on Wednesdays?

That way, it really isn't the burden (and I agree it is!) of 2 full FAAB periods. Actually would be obsolete on many weeks, but would cover those that need to be cover in case of unforeseen injury.

[ February 04, 2012, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

King of Queens

2012 Thursday Games

Post by King of Queens » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:58 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Any way you could make it that ONLY players in Thursday's game would be available to pick up on Wednesdays?

That way, it really isn't the burden (and I agree it is!) of 2 full FAAB periods. Actually would be obsolete on many weeks, but would cover those that need to be cover in case of unforeseen injury. This is what I originally suggested several months ago. To me, this is clearly the best option.