2012 Thursday Games

Max Factor

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Max Factor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:32 am

Originally posted by Jersey Dawg:
Am I missing something here? I have seen many people say that a Wednesday night waiver ONLY for players playing in the Thurs game is a GOOD choice.... How is that a GOOD choice?

If my ONLY kicker plays Sunday and gets hurt and he is scheduled to play Thursday, tell me how I am going to replace him with a Thursday kicker if both kickers in the Thursday night game are on other teams already? And, even if one was available, my opponent could easily spend $50 FAAB to steal him from me.

I'm cool with Friday night only. I generally have 2 Kickers, TE's and QB's anyway.

Anyone in favor of "team kicker" for the Thursday games?

Pete You would not start your injured kicker on Thursday and pick one up on Friday for Sunday's game.

I have actually suggested many years ago to make the kicker part of the S/T Def (team kicker). So while that would not solve all the problems it does help. Unless you have a Jano or some other most of us change kickers for $1 on a regular basis anyway.

[ February 05, 2012, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Max Factor ]
Jeff Potok

eliasond

2012 Thursday Games

Post by eliasond » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:41 pm

As a FB fan I love the Thursday games. As an NFFC fantasy FB player I absolutely hate them. As a fantasy FB player in my local leagues I still don't like them but they are tolerable. Here's why.

We run our FAAB every night of the week from Wednesday through Saturday nights. All the players who haven't played yet that week are fair game. Once you drop a player they are frozen until the next week. Once a team plays their game their players are frozen until the next week.

It is NOT more work to do it this way. It is about the same amount of work but it seriously DECREASES the stress of fantasy football during the week.

You do not have to do 10 hours of research every night to make new lists. You do it once and put in your bids for the hot players on Wednesday. On Wednesday 90% of the players are awarded who are going to be awarded that week. 10 teams have got their replacements and can relax the rest of the week. The other 2 teams may put in a bid for a replacement kicker or backup QB or a last minute flex spot on Friday or Saturday when the injury report comes out.

Also, you no longer have to put in 13 conditional choices to replace your K or DST on Wed. You can bid on the 2 or 3 best available, and then if you don't get them, you can still get one the next night for $1.

It is less stressful because you do not have to have 14 backup plans set in stone on Wed. in case your first 13 are denied.

I think this should be on the table as a valid option. I play leagues both ways and trust me FAAB every night is the way to go. Final thought -- it can't be a programming issue because CBS can do it
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

Cocktails and Dreams

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

One only is critical for me. And I would strongly prefer Wednesday. And it can be very late at night on Wednesday. Those that cannot access at work, would still be able to make arrangements to wake up earlier and get it done before work. This would allow for West Coasters and everyone else to get it done. Could be ran at 2 am eastern or something like that. I really enjoyed not having to deal with free agents on Friday night. Was able to go to high school football games, or have enjoyable Friday nights. Granted, my situation different than most, but it sure is nice having a couple days to not worry about fantasy football Friday and Saturday.

Shrink Attack

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
One only is critical for me. And I would strongly prefer Wednesday. And it can be very late at night on Wednesday. Those that cannot access at work, would still be able to make arrangements to wake up earlier and get it done before work. This would allow for West Coasters and everyone else to get it done. Could be ran at 2 am eastern or something like that. I really enjoyed not having to deal with free agents on Friday night. Was able to go to high school football games, or have enjoyable Friday nights. Granted, my situation different than most, but it sure is nice having a couple days to not worry about fantasy football Friday and Saturday. I generally agree with this.

One WW run per week is what's critical to me. Frankly, I don't care what day it's run. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday...it doesn't really matter to me.

There's been talk of what's "fair". I don't really get that part. We'd all be playing on the same, level playing field. Everyone has to make roster decisions and plan for contingencies. Some people might carry two kickers, others may choose to use their roster spots differently. You can't cover everything. That's a critical aspect of FF...those kinds of decisions create separation between the winners and the losers.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Jersey Dawg

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Jersey Dawg » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:18 am

Shrink is on the right track as is Cocktails. Let's pick ONE night and live with it. We'll all be playing by the same rules. That said, I suppose Weds night works best for me as well. Could be late night, even after midnight is fine.

Pete

BillyWaz

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:02 am

Originally posted by Jersey Dawg:
Shrink is on the right track as is Cocktails. Let's pick ONE night and live with it. We'll all be playing by the same rules. That said, I suppose Weds night works best for me as well. Could be late night, even after midnight is fine.

Pete That is the dilemma of this, as if you only do ONE FAAB period......which day???

WEDNESDAYS.....

PRO- Could cover everyone .....including Thursday game.

CON- Way too early in the week to make "quality" bids based on lack of information

FRIDAYS......

PRO- Information is much more up to date, same as we have always done it.

CON- Wouldn't be able to pick up Thursday game players (unless you of course did it the week before) Cuts into "the weekend".

If it is going to be just one day (and I am betting it will be), then I vote for FRIDAY.

The worst that can happen is that no one can get the points for the guy that filled in and ran for 150 yards on Thursday night......but everyone would still have a shot at him on Friday! ;)

Tom Kessenich

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:31 am

I would include Thursday in your list as well, Billy. Seems to me we have two possibilities here:

1. Two WW periods per week
2. One WW period per week.

If we go with the second, then we have to decide which day is the best. All have pros and cons attached to them in some fashion which is why this isn't an easy decision to make.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

2012 Thursday Games

Post by King of Queens » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:12 am

If the deadline ends up being Friday (or even Thursday afternoon), please consider having a one-week exception for Thanksgiving Day. With 6 teams on the slate that Thursday, it's just too many teams taken out of the FAAB equation. For that one week, Wednesday LATE would be ideal.

Of course, this is all assuming there is only one pickup period per week.

BillyWaz

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:21 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I would include Thursday in your list as well, Billy. Seems to me we have two possibilities here:

1. Two WW periods per week
2. One WW period per week.

If we go with the second, then we have to decide which day is the best. All have pros and cons attached to them in some fashion which is why this isn't an easy decision to make. I am assuming you are considering Thursday BEFORE the game?

To do this, there would have to be zero flaws, and this might put a cramp on those on the left coast, as bids would have to be in (I imagine) at least by 6:00 EST (and processed by 6:30 EST) so you could play your winning bids that evening.

If you held it after or during the game, you are losing the all important "did they practice Friday?" info.

I just see Thursday as obsolete for all these reasons.

I feel Chad's pain on Friday evenings as I too would like to go out, head to a HS football game, etc. but the FAAB kind of prevents it. However, if it is only one day a week, I still think that Friday is the best time to have it.

Also agreed on what Glenn said about Thanksgiving.......6 teams will make an impact.

[ February 07, 2012, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Tom Kessenich

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 am

Yes, I'm referring to Thursday before the game. We had no technical flaws with FAAB this past season so I don't believe there's anything to be concerned about there. For me, it's all about whether Thursday is the right day of the week to make bids. Again, I see pros and cons to that day of the week just like I see them with Wednesday and Friday.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich