Post by King of Queens » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
Access to all players after the conclusion of the previous week's games

***versus***

Better information available to make your pickups

***versus***

Achieving both objectives, with the inconvenience of 2 pickups

I believe that's it in a nutshell That be it!!!!
[/QUOTE]Obviously this thread is not representative of
the entire NFFC, but I still find it interesting that so many players -- especially the old-timers -- cannot come to a consensus on what should happen here.

In 8+ years of the NFFC, this might be a first.

Glenneration X

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:55 pm

If I'm not a 20-teamer, I'm damn close. Still, I don't get the reluctance, even venom, towards two waiver periods.

I played WCOFF and they had two waiver periods and honestly I did not find it to be that much more work. All the preparation for FAAB was done for the Wednesday waiver period. Anyone decent was picked on Wednesday. All that was left in waivers by Friday were players that nobody wanted or they would have also been picked up on Wednesday. In each league I was in, the Friday pickups typically consisted of one or two pickups per league for teams that had late injury news.

The slightly, and I stress slightly, more work was more than compensated by the ability to manage my teams in a way that took bad luck or late injury further out of the equation. If I'm investing $1K+ for a team, and if multiplied by 20, 20K total or more, I want that control, that ability to reduce luck. I'm sorry I just don't get why you wouldn't want to avoid the luck factor in a game which already has much too much of it with so much invested.

Considering that slight amount of extra work is further reduced by Frank's proposal, if achievable I'm totally for that option.

alanr824

2012 Thursday Games

Post by alanr824 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 pm

The last 4 free agent periods of 2011 were on Wednesday. They went fine. I did not hear one complaint that someone didn't have enough information to get a replacement player due to injury, when we switched to Wednesday. Maybe I missed it. I think we stick with Wednesdays. If there is any possibility of having 2 FAABs, make the Wednesday FAAB just for the Thursday games, with all players from Thursday games and players dropped from Wednesday's FAAB frozen for Friday's FAAB. This might give Greg nightmares, but really, its the only logical answer, in my opinion.

BLACKHAND

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
The more I think about it, I think Thursday early afternoon is the way to go. 2 eastern leaves over 6 hours to get a lineup in from when they are run. Gives those that want news a little more of it. I would still prefer Wednesday personally but I think the best thing for the game in general is Thursday afternoon. It splits the difference between the two days people are wanting, and most important still is just one period and allows ALL players to be bid on before their game, which is also important. hate this. you might as well have it run 8am since most of us might have to work. to short of a window for me to have it run later. west coast has to find this hard as well.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

King of Queens

2012 Thursday Games

Post by King of Queens » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Originally posted by Al R G:
The last 4 free agent periods of 2011 were on Wednesday. They went fine. I did not hear one complaint that someone didn't have enough information to get a replacement player due to injury, when we switched to Wednesday. Maybe I missed it. Dan Carpenter was one such instance. His injury screwed a bunch of owners that week.

BLACKHAND

2012 Thursday Games

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
If I'm not a 20-teamer, I'm damn close. Still, I don't get the reluctance, even venom, towards two waiver periods.

I played WCOFF and they had two waiver periods and honestly I did not find it to be that much more work. All the preparation for FAAB was done for the Wednesday waiver period. Anyone decent was picked on Wednesday. All that was left in waivers by Friday were players that nobody wanted or they would have also been picked up on Wednesday. In each league I was in, the Friday pickups typically consisted of one or two pickups per league for teams that had late injury news.

The slightly, and I stress slightly, more work was more than compensated by the ability to manage my teams in a way that took bad luck or late injury further out of the equation. If I'm investing $1K+ for a team, and if multiplied by 20, 20K total or more, I want that control, that ability to reduce luck. I'm sorry I just don't get why you wouldn't want to avoid the luck factor in a game which already has much too much of it with so much invested.

Considering that slight amount of extra work is further reduced by Frank's proposal, if achievable I'm totally for that option. i cant beleve it either glenn but whatever more people like the best , thats what will be. certain people dont want two faab a week doing so many teams WITH BOTH contests.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

alanr824

2012 Thursday Games

Post by alanr824 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Al R G:
The last 4 free agent periods of 2011 were on Wednesday. They went fine. I did not hear one complaint that someone didn't have enough information to get a replacement player due to injury, when we switched to Wednesday. Maybe I missed it. Dan Carpenter was one such instance. His injury screwed a bunch of owners that week. [/QUOTE]You are correct, my bad. Still I think Wednesday is the best option. What if he was hurt in Sundays game, then had a Thursday game and waivers were on Friday? With no backup, in either situation, you take a zero, correct?

[ February 07, 2012, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Al R G ]

King of Queens

2012 Thursday Games

Post by King of Queens » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Originally posted by Al R G:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Al R G:
The last 4 free agent periods of 2011 were on Wednesday. They went fine. I did not hear one complaint that someone didn't have enough information to get a replacement player due to injury, when we switched to Wednesday. Maybe I missed it. Dan Carpenter was one such instance. His injury screwed a bunch of owners that week. [/QUOTE]You are correct, my bad. Still I think Wednesday is the best option. What if he was hurt in Sundays game, then had a Thursday game and waivers were on Friday? With no backup, in either situation, you take a zero, correct?
[/QUOTE]I'm with you on this...provided there's no dual waiver period. That's still my preferred option.

Glenneration X

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Considering that slight amount of extra work is further reduced by Frank's proposal, if achievable I'm totally for that option. i cant beleve it either glenn but whatever more people like the best , thats what will be. certain people dont want two faab a week doing so many teams WITH BOTH contests.
[/QUOTE]I sense another survey coming.

Greg Ambrosius

2012 Thursday Games

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Originally posted by thegambler:
i see some are against having two bidding periods.....but that would really solve all the problems. a little more work but it takes care of all the problems with what day to do it and what time etc....

i think the best would be have a fa period wednesday night just for the thursday game/players....not sure if that is possible....then have the usual bidding period on friday. Just an FYI: Frank's suggestion of doing FAAB on Wednesday for just the Thursday players can be done technically on our end with some caveats, while also running FAAB on Friday for the rest of the available players (other 30 teams). I'm not saying that is an option we'll do, but for the sake of this wild argument, that is one option that we can do and could program (again with some stipulations) if we all agreed on it.

So the choices definitely could be:

One WW date
Two WW dates (with just Thursday players in the first FAAB)

We haven't discussed this in great detail internally, but Frank's idea is in play.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius