What Did 3RR Feel Like To YOU?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:05 am

I have to admit that I'm extremely proud of the way 3RR worked this year. It seemed like a large majority of owners understood the effects of 3RR when they filled out their KDS preferences and nobody seemed confused by it on Draft Day. That was a concern when we changed to this format, but Tom and I did a pretty good job of communicating this concept and everything seemed to go well this weekend.

I also have to admit that the PERCEPTION of the draft spots people received was MUCH better this year. Once we got past the draft spot snafu, people seemed happy with their draft spots. The fact that the NFFC owner got a preference that ranked around 4.8 didn't hurt at all, but I felt like more owners this year walked into the draft room with a better feeling of their draft spot than in years past.

And I also thought more folks were happier with their drafts this year than in the past. I remember last year when someone approached me and said they did the best they could from the spot I had given them. That didn't happen this year as more folks seemed genuinely pleased with their rosters.

But forget about what I think. What do YOU think about the new draft format? Does the new format feel FAIRER right now? Do you like the fact that EVERY draft seemed to be different? Do you like the fact that everyone's KDS preferences were slightly different? Did you feel a difference at the bottom of the draft? Did it feel better or worse in the middle of the draft? Did you still feel like you got great value at the top or was it tougher there?

This doesn't have to be a lovefest thread about 3RR as it's already here to stay. I'm not moving off KDS/3RR going forward as this is now our signature format. But I do want to hear from my paying customers and get some feedback about how you feel about the format BEFORE the games begin. Any and all feedback is good.

Thanks again everyone. The customers made KDS/3RR work this year and for that, Tom and I are EXTREMELY grateful.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

renman

Post by renman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:27 am

Greg,

As you know, I was part of the "debates" on this issue over the last 2 years. This is all about perveived fairness and providing a little more control to the fantasy owner. If people are going to pony up $1300 or more for a fantasy event it is nice to make the "random" part less important. I remember the debates and remember my main position being that MOST owners would get a "prefered" position since draft preferences would vary so much. The guy getting drawn out 14th might get his 6th favorite spot.

Again this is more about pre draft and pre-season fairness. Once the season starts who knows what will happen. As I said in another thread, if LT2 rushes for 1800, scores 28 times, catches 50 passes and throws a few TDS to boot, LT2 teams are still going to dominate regardless of 3RR.

This does provide a nice sensation of piece of mind in that you know you have control over where you end up. How you do from there is up to the owner making good picks...No matter where on the board we are, we have to make good choices to win...

I think it was a huge success for the NFFC and expect this to become the norm throughout the industry. In the past, you always heard guys complaining about where they drafted from, or how unfair it was that someone else got to draft from the top... I think it was HUGE success for the NFFC...

[ September 04, 2007, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: renman ]

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:15 am

Hey Greg....here's a quick shout out to the effectiveness of KDS 3RR to me. Our league schedule is the same every year. Week 1...team 1 vs 2...3 vs 4 and so on.

Knowing that...isn't it nice to be able to select the 10 slot over the 9 (2007) in a H2H format since team 10 plays the LT owner in which week?????? You guessed it...week 7 LT's bye week. :D

Just a tid bit of strategy for those who hadn't thought of it yet.

As for 3RR....it's really nice to pick at the back and know you can go take 2 RB's and still get a stud WR in the first 3 picks.

I like it! :D

[ September 04, 2007, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Route C ]

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:21 am

YEAH I THINK 3RR WAS A GREAT IMPLEMENT TO NFFC AND MADE THE TEAMS MORE BALANCED. KUDOS TO GREG AND TOM FOR IMPLEMTENTING AND NOT BEING AFRAID OF CHANGE TO BETTER THE WHOLE LEAGUE. ALTHOUGH I DID NOT PLAY IN THE MAIN EVENT I PARTICAPATED IN FIVE SATELLITES AND HELP FACILITATE IN CHICAGO. WHILE FACILITATING AND WATCHING THE OTHER TEAMS DRAFT I WAS ABLE TO SEE THE BALANCE OF ALL THE TEAMS.

da bears

Post by da bears » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:51 am

I drafted from the 13th spot this year and definitely think 3RR helped. Like Route C said you could take two good rbs and still pick up a stud wr in the third round. Or if you were like me pick one good rb and draft two stud wrs... I saw alot more variation in drafts this year compared to years past because of 3RR. Thanks again Greg and Tom for taking a chance on this.
Bauler Shot Caller

skipman

Post by skipman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:53 am

Greg,

You make the rules and Lumpy's Losers will find a way to win. With 5 championships in a variety of draft positions and league formats, we look forward to starting to fill the second hand with rings this season.

With that said, I have never thought that the old way was unfair to anyone. I guess if you cant evaluate talent past the first 3 RBs then the top 3 picks are the place to be.

I actually thought that for the Main Event. The 3RR gave the first picks even more of an advantage, since I beleive the difference between a high 3rd round and low 3rd round were not much different, but the drop off in talent in the 4th round was notable.

We were glad to be in the 2 hole and pull down S. Jackson, C. Benson, L. Evans, and J Walker with the first 4 picks.

I think the 3RR balanced things more in the Draft Champions league, but this is a different format all together.

TexasHeat

Post by TexasHeat » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:58 am

Originally posted by skipman:
We were glad to be in the 2 hole and pull down S. Jackson, C. Benson, L. Evans, and J Walker with the first 4 picks. Yes, only a true savvy FF vet could make those 4 picks. :cool:
"That's how you become great man, hang your balls out there"

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:01 am

A couple of things.

As an LT2 owner, I was able to get a top TE at the 5.14/6.01 turn. I would've never had a shot at one without 3RR at the 6.14/7.01 turn. Most leagues I saw had a run on the top TEs (Heap, Winslow, Gonzo, etc) right around 6th round. Also, locking up Turner was imperative and very likely at the 7.14/8.01. I do not believe Turner would ever have made it down to 8.14/9.01 without 3RR.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the on-the-field results of 3RR.

[ September 04, 2007, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Nag' ]
For Players. By Players.

da bears

Post by da bears » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:06 am

Originally posted by skipman:
Greg,

You make the rules and Lumpy's Losers will find a way to win. With 5 championships in a variety of draft positions and league formats, we look forward to starting to fill the second hand with rings this season.

With that said, I have never thought that the old way was unfair to anyone. I guess if you cant evaluate talent past the first 3 RBs then the top 3 picks are the place to be.

I actually thought that for the Main Event. The 3RR gave the first picks even more of an advantage, since I beleive the difference between a high 3rd round and low 3rd round were not much different, but the drop off in talent in the 4th round was notable.

We were glad to be in the 2 hole and pull down S. Jackson, C. Benson, L. Evans, and J Walker with the first 4 picks.

I think the 3RR balanced things more in the Draft Champions league, but this is a different format all together. Benson and Walker fell that low? Now that is some nice value to say the least. Very good start there Lumpy's Losers.
Bauler Shot Caller