Thoughts On Multiple Draft Dates For Main Events

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 19, 2009 5:13 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
I agree with Rob, time will tell if added Mains yield results.

It doesn't lessen the Saturday Mains for me, thus far...I guess I'll know in September.

I wouldn't participate in any added Mains (regardless of the contest) if held on a Sunday. Perhaps on-line though... Correct. I think the Sunday addition would all be online. That would create a better mix of owners for that second draft plus it would be tough to reserve space in three cities for a second day. I wouldn't want to go that route with lesser numbers. Again, just exploring.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Tue May 19, 2009 5:15 am

What may not work but I think would be fun is to get to draft 2 teams for the same EF.

What a wicked weekend of fun it would be if you knew you you could pay for whatever Friday events you wanted. Maybe play some Friday evening poker. Then draft 2 events both Sat and/or Sun depending on which 2 you choose.

So, the schedule would look like this in my wonderland:

Friday:

DCs
Auctions
Poker

Sat:

NFFC Main Events (2 drafts for 1 money)
Late night "Sit N Gos"

Sun:

NBC Primetime Main Events (2 drafts for 1 money)
Ultimate

Timing may not work to fit everything in, but that's my idea.

Greg, imagine the fanbase you'd create allowing 2 chances for 1 entry fee. If you did both drafts for the same event on the same day then it would minimize the scenario that Sound Advice mentioned with injuries, etc.

If this flies, all I ask is a couple of EFs. :D
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue May 19, 2009 5:43 am

I disagree with the posts saying that a Friday nite main event will hurt the Friday auctions and DC's. On the contrary, I believe that it could help. You could do auctions/DC's at 12noon & 5pm, with a main event at 10pm. Offer slight promotional discount for anyone doing 1-2 auction & DC's, and main event. Instead of taking away from the Friday events, it could add to the Friday experience. 10pm is more than early enough for even us middle-age folks to start a draft.

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Tue May 19, 2009 7:49 am

I don't like the idea of having a different draft date for the same contest. For example if most players draft in the classic on sat and then less drafted sunday. It would seem sunday may be sort of a "B" league. There may be an advantage to the players drafting in the weaker leagues on sunday.
Perhaps keeping the classic on sat and moving the
primtime to sunday would work fine. But not splitting the same event.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Tue May 19, 2009 7:59 am

Originally posted by Sabretooth:
I don't like the idea of having a different draft date for the same contest. For example if most players draft in the classic on sat and then less drafted sunday. It would seem sunday may be sort of a "B" league. There may be an advantage to the players drafting in the weaker leagues on sunday.
Perhaps keeping the classic on sat and moving the
primtime to sunday would work fine. But not splitting the same event. Agreed.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Tue May 19, 2009 8:29 am

'NFFC Main Events (2 drafts for 1 money)'

Not a good business move.

[ May 19, 2009, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Raiders ]

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Tue May 19, 2009 9:04 am

Originally posted by Raiders:

Not a good business move. I just bought my Super Lotto tickets, bought 5 because I think 5 chances at winning $21 million are better than 1.

Kinda the same reason I bought 2 WCFF Main teams (and have a share in several others)...
:D :D :D
@RedRyder

TOMDOG

Post by TOMDOG » Tue May 19, 2009 9:13 am

I like the sunday internet idea,with a discount for drafting both days.Bottom line is you are here to make money,and this route seems to me to be a moneymaker.The trick is to do it without losing the personal touch that makes the NFFC special.There is no competition for customers on the NFFC weekend,as far as i know,and i think,as stated above,the internet draft would open the whole experience to an expanded group.
I have already joined the 2 FFPC drafts,and would gladly jump into a sunday NFFC draft to go along with the saturday experience.
Its also true that i had a good year in 2008 and can afford to do this.I dont know if i would if i hadnt won money last year,but i know this much.
I LOVE BEING AT A LIVE DRAFT,there arent many things in life more fun for a fantasy football junkie like me,and the people are the absolute biggest part of the whole experience.But if i had a horrible year and money was tight,the next best thing to being there would be to save enough to at least JOIN the contest and draft online for a shot at the big prize,and an internet draft would fit that bill.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Tue May 19, 2009 9:22 am

I PERSONALLY LIKE THE ONE DRAFT DATE. I THINK PUTTING MULTIPLE DATES HURTS THE EXPERIENCE OF SEEING ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS AT THE ONE EVENT.

ALSO WITH WORK RESTRICTIONS ON ALOT OF PEOPLE TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE AS WELL SO IF YOU WANTED TO PLAY IN BOTH IF THEY WERE ON DIFFERENT DATES.

WITH THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE WE WILL HAVE TO COME UP WITH A HAPPY MEDIUM TO SUIT ALL PLAYERS.

I REALLY LIKE ROB'S POINTS THOUGH.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Tue May 19, 2009 9:28 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by Raiders:

Not a good business move. I just bought my Super Lotto tickets, bought 5 because I think 5 chances at winning $21 million are better than 1.

Kinda the same reason I bought 2 WCFF Main teams (and have a share in several others)...
:D :D :D
[/QUOTE]Agree two three or even four different held Main League drafts. But not Buy one get one for free.

John