Mid Season A Standings

Dyv

Mid Season A Standings

Post by Dyv » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:47 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
The blind bidding advantage is only a perceived one, not a real one. what? it would be a real advantage for each individual owner. drafting where you want to draft isn't an advantage from an owners perspective??? [/QUOTE]Actually, I think the advantage IS based on perception to some degree, but it could also be based on skill. To illustrate, take someone who doesn't devote a ton of time to this game... they subscribe to some service and get some VBD chart or some cheat sheet based on VBD that they don't even know is based on VBD, but it is... they don't know that Tai Streets is a sleeper for deep in the draft or that Larry Fitzgerald is a good rookie, but not as good as most seem to think, etc. For that person, having an early draft spot is probably pretty important and worth.. oh, what... maybe $400 of their FA money? They won't key in on the best free agents all the time as they don't devote the time or effort, so having less FA budget has minimal impact on them.

Then contrast that to someone who lives and breathes fantasy sports. They have more sleepers than they have top players and they can speculate effectively on 5 different RB or WR knowing that 1 or 2 of them will probably be at least usable. This person can take risk and pull it off effectively or at least reasonably well. That person may very well decide their FA budget is crucial to in-season roster management and that they can make the best from any pick regardless.

Now, here's the hard part... are either or both of these types of people correct? The answer is wonderful - who the hell knows? They do PERCEIVE it to be their situations and they PERCEIVE it to be a benefit. Other than this rampant fear that the system will be too difficult for people to understand... assuming EVERYONE could 'get it' and understand it... then what is the negative to letting people bid? They can bid all or nothing, they can save money or spend money as they choose and regardless, they can CONTROL some of their destiny. That control is worth a TON... even if it is only a perceived control and the fact is 1 key injury screws us all.

I think Greg and Tom have both admitted that if the draft bidding system could be 100% understood by participants then it would be a good thing.

And the perception is worth a ton of goodwill.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

ultimatefs

Mid Season A Standings

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:43 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
The blind bidding advantage is only a perceived one, not a real one. what? it would be a real advantage for each individual owner. drafting where you want to draft isn't an advantage from an owners perspective??? [/QUOTE]Only in that owners mind. I guess that makes it some sort of advantage because the owner most likely feels more comfortable.

In random drafts, I tend to get picks 10-14. So I'm a little more comforatble, just because I've done it more often. But that's in my mind, just like those that insist on having pick #1, or whatever, is in theirs.

Without even looking, I bet you could take every NFFC draft from this year, rank them, by points, or W/L, or both, and not see any recognizable pattern. And if you did find one, the most likely reason is major injuries.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Tom Kessenich

Mid Season A Standings

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:48 am

Originally posted by UFS:
Without even looking, I bet you could take every NFFC draft from this year, rank them, by points, or W/L, or both, and not see any recognizable pattern. And if you did find one, the most likely reason is major injuries. Personally, I think this would hold true in most leagues. But that's just my opinion.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

ultimatefs

Mid Season A Standings

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:58 am

Originally posted by Dyv:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
The blind bidding advantage is only a perceived one, not a real one. what? it would be a real advantage for each individual owner. drafting where you want to draft isn't an advantage from an owners perspective??? [/QUOTE]Actually, I think the advantage IS based on perception to some degree, but it could also be based on skill. To illustrate, take someone who doesn't devote a ton of time to this game... they subscribe to some service and get some VBD chart or some cheat sheet based on VBD that they don't even know is based on VBD, but it is... they don't know that Tai Streets is a sleeper for deep in the draft or that Larry Fitzgerald is a good rookie, but not as good as most seem to think, etc. For that person, having an early draft spot is probably pretty important and worth.. oh, what... maybe $400 of their FA money? They won't key in on the best free agents all the time as they don't devote the time or effort, so having less FA budget has minimal impact on them.

Then contrast that to someone who lives and breathes fantasy sports. They have more sleepers than they have top players and they can speculate effectively on 5 different RB or WR knowing that 1 or 2 of them will probably be at least usable. This person can take risk and pull it off effectively or at least reasonably well. That person may very well decide their FA budget is crucial to in-season roster management and that they can make the best from any pick regardless.

Now, here's the hard part... are either or both of these types of people correct? The answer is wonderful - who the hell knows? They do PERCEIVE it to be their situations and they PERCEIVE it to be a benefit. Other than this rampant fear that the system will be too difficult for people to understand... assuming EVERYONE could 'get it' and understand it... then what is the negative to letting people bid? They can bid all or nothing, they can save money or spend money as they choose and regardless, they can CONTROL some of their destiny. That control is worth a TON... even if it is only a perceived control and the fact is 1 key injury screws us all.

I think Greg and Tom have both admitted that if the draft bidding system could be 100% understood by participants then it would be a good thing.

And the perception is worth a ton of goodwill.

Dyv
[/QUOTE]Dave, excellent post.

This bid draft stuff needs to be part of the application process, and not automated.

Draw the leagues, then put the 14 sheets next to each other. It would take minutes to figure it out.

Explain the ground rules at the top of the form.

my form would look like this...

List from draft slots 1-14, Bid Amount
in YOUR preference order
by most $$ amount
(Ex in parenth)
______ (3) $475
______ (2) $450
______ (5) $298
______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______
______ (13) $0
______ (14) $0

At this point, Greg or Tom just lines up all 14 sheets side-by-side.

They take the highest bid from all the sheets on the top line, and they dole out that pick. It might be pick #5 for $800 off one sheet. Who knows. But the highest amount goes first.

Let's say it is #5. Then #5 is gone.
You then take the next highest number left in positions 1 or (2 - for all those that listed #5 first) from all the lists for the next spot, and so on.

This wouldn't take more than 15 minutes per league.

Greg, reminds me of the old paper drafts back in 1987. LOL.

ultimatefs

Mid Season A Standings

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:05 am

BTW, you can call it the Ziegler Draft Form.

Tom, I agree with you.

I want to add one more thing to my post... Major injuries or "off the chart" performance by a star player. Those are about equal.

This year, that's Culpepper so far, who's about 30% better than Manning right now in most leagues.

kjduke

Mid Season A Standings

Post by kjduke » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:55 am

The slot bids with the application is a silly idea. Why not just turn in our cheatsheets in with the application too.

Adjustments need to be made up until the deadline, which should be around the time lges are announced, unless of course you only like slot bidding because other people will spend dollars and you won't.

It can be manged just like FA bidding thru the web site.

dgamblnman

Mid Season A Standings

Post by dgamblnman » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:33 am

Gey Gordon, how are you doing in this league since you were able to pick you own draft position?????

Gordon Gekko

Mid Season A Standings

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:01 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
Gey Gordon, how are you doing in this league since you were able to pick you own draft position????? Not bad I guess. Had H.Ward and Portis on a bye last week.

NFFC Satellite PTS
14 ZERO BIDS 411.9
Chicago MickeyWhippers 409.6
Team Truck 409.3 (GEKKO)
Team Ondzes 366.45
Team Bauler 365.6
KJ's Zefurs 357.5
Vega$ Gambler$ A 356.85
Satellite Hobbits 350.65
Team Price 334.4
Liquid Hippos 332.8
Nnoy Free 2005 Entry 313.55
Wiz sucks at football 309.9
gigglin marlin 297.3
Team Ashcraft 255.45
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?