Week 8 Thoughts

Tom Kessenich

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Some random thoughts and observations with every game except one in the books for Week 8:

No Sunday Night Football sucks. Just wanted to say that before I went any further.

Brett Favre 2. Ted Thompson 0.

I like Aaron Rodgers just fine but watching how good Favre was last season before he got hurt and how good he is now, I'm struggling to see how Thompson kicking him out the door was the smart decision for the Packers to make. Maybe I'm missing something? Is it the losing record the team has had since Favre left? Should I be more excited about that? Is it the fact that two teams got better with Favre and the Packers have gotten worse without him? Is that something Thompson wants people to appreciate? If so, well done Ted.

Anyone else vote that Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones-Drew should be allowed to keep playing? That was a lot of fun.

What wasn't fun was watching David Garrard set the quarterback position back several decades. He looked worse than John Krasinski in "Leatherheads." And yes, I say that as a very bitter Mike Sims-Walker owner. Two receptions for Sims-Walker? Against the 32nd-ranked pass defense in the NFL? Seriously?

Hey look, Terrell Owens can score a touchdown.

So much for Beanie Wells breaking out.

The Giants are a mess with a capital M.

Don't look now but the Cowboys are back. Think Tony Romo's confidence is soaring thanks to Miles Austin? Me too.

I'm always amazed whenever Zach Miller catches a pass for the Raiders. It's not that he isn't talented. He's very talented. It's just that he's the only player defenses have to worry about in the Oakland passing game. If I was an opposing coordinator, I would put all seven secondary players on him and dare JaMarcus Russell to complete a pass to someone else. I'm willing to bet he'd throw an incomplete pass at least 50 percent of the time.

There's the Kyle Orton I remember from Chicago. I knew he'd show up sooner or later.

Speaking of the Bears, Jay Cutler did a great impression of Kyle Orton against the Browns. That was a defense ripe for the taking and he looked God awful for most of the game.

Mike Sims-Walker had only two receptions today against the worst pass defense in the NFL. I had to type that a second time because I still can't believe it happened.

Vince Young threw for as many TD passes today as Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco combined. I'm pretty sure we all saw that coming.

I think Ted Ginn just took another kickoff back for a touchdown.

I think we're getting very near the time when the Colts just abandon the run completely. They aren't very good at it.

Spencer Havner? Seriously?

[ November 01, 2009, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

da bears

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by da bears » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:50 pm

Yeah I started Walker in quite a few leagues today. :( Can't the Jaguars find a better QB than Garrard? The guy looked worse than Russell today. :eek:

[ November 01, 2009, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: da bears ]
Bauler Shot Caller

Sandman62

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:56 pm

Lotsa low scores this week w/ so many good players on bye.

Reggie Wayne is a beast. Worth every penny of our 1st round pick. :D And despite Rodgers' real life woes for the Pack, he's delivered GREAT in fantasy.

[ November 01, 2009, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

BillyWaz

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:14 pm

I'll add a bit if you don't mind, Tom.....

I'm a Sims-Walker owner in two DC leagues. Not to make his owners feel worse, but Eddie Royal 3 pts, Sims-Walker 2.9 pts.

Vince Young threw for MORE TD's than Peyton Manning, Matt Schaub, AND Jay Cutler combined! :eek:

The Browns are EASILY the worst team in football that we have seen in 10 years (far worse than the Lions last year.....at least they scored a bit).

Steve Slaton owners....come off the ledge and get a drink (a stiff one!)

I agree about Zach Miller. Why not TRIPLE cover him??? No one else can catch, and I think you were being generous with the 50%, Tom! ;)

LT is back, he scored 2 TD's! Oh wait, he only ran for 56 yards and didn't catch a pass.....I guess Renman can't start gloating yet.

A special thanks to Matt Forte, as I played against him in FIVE leagues this week.

Anyone out there happy they spent over half their bankroll on Shonn Greene this week???

So glad to see the Broncos turned into pumpkins. Honestly, their defense is better than average, but their offense is crap.

Has ANY player in the history of fantasy football fallen off the face of the earth not due to suspension or injury quicker than Willis McGahee??

First 3 games.....61.1 pts
Last 3 games.....1.8 pts (that is TOTAL pts! :eek: )

Are DeAngelo Williams owners worried he might not score another TD unless he breaks one outside the 10? I got him on a few teams, and I am officially concerned.

[ November 01, 2009, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

da bears

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by da bears » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:24 pm

How about Carolina kicking the crap out of Arizona today? Warner looked like garbage as he threw 5 ints. I'd still be surprised if he lasts the season as Warner is taking a beating.

The Eagles easily beat the Giants today. Eli is back to playing like garbage and the Giant defense has got lit up the past few weeks.
Bauler Shot Caller

King of Queens

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by King of Queens » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
If I was an opposing coordinator, I would put all seven secondary players on him and dare JaMarcus Russell to complete a pass to someone else. I'm willing to bet he'd throw an incomplete pass at least 50 percent of the time. Tom, not sure if you're aware:

JaMarcus Russell 2009 Stats
88 completions
182 attempts
48.4 percent

Latham

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by Latham » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Mojo 22.13 yards per carry, and they lost!

sportsbettingman

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by sportsbettingman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:36 pm

I thought I was rolling along sweet during the morning games, with Tomlinson and Forte as my sneaky picks at 2X in Fantasy Factor.

Then the late games started and my 3X on David Gerrard smelt like poo poo!
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Glenneration X

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:43 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
I thought I was rolling along sweet during the morning games, with Tomlinson and Forte as my sneaky picks at 2X in Fantasy Factor.

Then the late games started and my 3X on David Gerrard smelt like poo poo! I'm ahead in all six games for my main event teams in the NFFC, WCOFF, & FFPC.....in five of those games my opponent has Saints going tomorrow.....
Anyway that game can be canceled?

Glenn

Henry Muto

Week 8 Thoughts

Post by Henry Muto » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Defiantly a week of disasters this week.

I still am in shock how bad my 2 teams did. I was 1st in pts in 1 league and tied at 6-1 for 1st in record in the other.

Sure I had some bye week issues like Brady, Moss, S-Holmes and a total of 9 players on bye but for a team avg 145 pts a week to put up a 58 with only 1 player left on Monday night makes you feel sick that the entire season you worked so hard to get into 1st place is all gone in 1 short 6 hour span called week 8.

My other just as bad 42 pts with 3 players left on Monday night.

All I can say is good redience to the week 8 byes those were complete killers to me.

Slaton benched didn't help either.
2023 NFFC Cutline Champion and 4th place ($90,000) (1720 teams)
2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion ($200,000) (2460 teams)
2012 NFFC Online National Champion and 4th place ($110,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2014 DFWC National Champion (288 teams)