Week 4 Pickups

BillyWaz

Week 4 Pickups

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:44 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by The Franchise:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
Did anyone get Torrey Smith for a reasonable amount? Reasonable? Speed kills in the NFL. If your going to spend 40% of your FAAB money he is the type player to do it with.

I'm assuming you were not a T.Smith bidder/winner?

I put his over/under point total at 16 vs. the Jets this week. What do ya think? :D
[/QUOTE]If that were true, then Darrius Heyward-Bey would be a star in this league.

I don't buy it with Smith. It's one game from a rookie who does nothing else well and who didn't earn a start until Evans went down. He'll get shut down by the Jets (I'll take that Under bet big time), then after the bye he'll be either second string or, at best, be in a committee with Evans. Boldin remains #1 here, the TE's remain big targets, and the offense fundamentally runs through Ray Rice.

To spend 30%-70% of your Free Agent money on this type of rookie WR who has one big game as a fill-in against a defense who essentially didn't game plan for him is foolhardy in my opinion, but I'm glad that a lot of people did. ;)

He's got talent, but this year I'm thinking more Frisman Jackson here than Randy Moss.
[/QUOTE]I agree Paul, and lets not forget.......it was the RAMS depleted secondary he torched.

If Manningham wouldn't have knocked himself out of the game that Monday night, I am guessing he would of scored 40 too!

The flip side is free agency has been pretty bad thus far, and people are antsy to get that difference maker on their team.

I don't think Torrey will be it with Evans coming back after the bye, as I see more Anthony Armstrong than Mike Wallace.

bald is beautiful

Week 4 Pickups

Post by bald is beautiful » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:56 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by The Franchise:
Did anyone get Torrey Smith for a reasonable amount? Reasonable? Speed kills in the NFL. If your going to spend 40% of your FAAB money he is the type player to do it with.

I put his over/under point total at 16 vs. the Jets this week. What do ya think? :D
[/QUOTE]If that were true, then Darrius Heyward-Bey would be a star in this league.

I don't buy it with Smith. It's one game from a rookie who does nothing else well and who didn't earn a start until Evans went down. He'll get shut down by the Jets (I'll take that Under bet big time), then after the bye he'll be either second string or, at best, be in a committee with Evans. Boldin remains #1 here, the TE's remain big targets, and the offense fundamentally runs through Ray Rice.

To spend 30%-70% of your Free Agent money on this type of rookie WR who has one big game as a fill-in against a defense who essentially didn't game plan for him is foolhardy in my opinion, but I'm glad that a lot of people did. ;)

He's got talent, but this year I'm thinking more Frisman Jackson here than Randy Moss.
[/QUOTE]Agree 100% - I don't see him being consistently productive. Wayne paid his value imo because that is his worth to me - $23.

Glenneration X

Week 4 Pickups

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:23 am

I was able to pick up Smith for five of my leagues. Was it at a reasonable price? I guess that all depends on your point of view. I spent anywhere between 25 and 45% of my FAAB budget on him dependant upon the team and its specific needs. The fact that so many players smarter than me look at it as wasted spending may be a red flag. I guess I'll just take solace in the fact that Nelson & Rob, two others also smarter than me, agree that it might not have been.

What convinced me to take the leap for Smith is the fit between what he brings to the table and his QB. Flacco is not a precision QB, but he has one of the stronger arms in the NFL and throws a good deep ball. His skills work better with deep speed and his team knows it as the Ravens have been trying to find that deep threat for him for years. Lee Evans is certainly a threat, but is hurt and has never been a consistent producer. Smith has an opportunity here, has already shown that he can torch an NFL secondary (though the Rams may be borderline in that description), and fits his QB and team's needs perfectly. They face the Jets this week. Revis will likely shadow Boldin, leaving a somewhat banged up Cromartie on Smith. We'll see how he does. I don't believe Smith will ever be a target monster this season, however like Desean Jackson I don't believe he needs to be in order to be productive in that offense with that QB.

Also as Billy stated, by the next FAAB 1/3 of the season will be complete. With the bye weeks starting at that time, for fantasy teams possibly still searching for that 3rd or 4th WR, andfor some having to replace one of their biggest producers at that position in Britt (as I had to on five teams), there weren't many options or much time left to make a move. This was a swing for the fences play at a time and in a position where that was needed and that I believe has a chance to reach the stands. We'll see how it works out.

Sandman62

Week 4 Pickups

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:17 am

I also agree on TSmith. As Glenn pointed out, he could end up a DeSean-like player - every few games he puts up numbers, but he could get you 5 PPG the other 75% of the time.

Give me the target hogs over the boom or bust types anytime. We prefer high floors over high ceilings for WR3 and flex players. I wouldn't be surprised if David Nelson and Eric Decker are this year's version of Stevie Johnson and Brandon Lloyd. We have Nelson on 6 teams and Decker on 3 (of our 9). And as my son/co-manager pointed out, how ironic that they're both the next man up on the very same teams whose QBs produced top-10 breakout waiver wire wonders last year AND the guys in front of them are already nursing nagging injuries!

[ October 01, 2011, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

King of Queens

Week 4 Pickups

Post by King of Queens » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:21 am

Some other notables this week:

Running Back
James Casey
Alfonso Smith
Jacquizz Rodgers
Steve Slaton
Alex Green

Wide Receiver
Brian Hartline
Michael Jenkins
Damian Williams

Tight End
Randy McMichael
Todd Heap

Defense
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
Washington
Minnesota

Lots of spare parts -- maybe one of these guys ends up being a lottery ticket

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Cocktails and Dreams

Week 4 Pickups

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:30 am

All depends on your team, your standing, and your amount of money left. Reasonable is drastically different in every situation.

King of Queens

Week 4 Pickups

Post by King of Queens » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:34 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
All depends on your team, your standing, and your amount of money left. Reasonable is drastically different in every situation. Very good point, Chad. To be clear, I meant no disrespect to anyone that "broke the bank" for Torrey Smith. Given the above choices, and the short fantasy football season, every owner will probably need to make their stand at some point. For those that lost Britt and/or other players, that time was now.

King of Queens

Week 4 Pickups

Post by King of Queens » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:48 am

Originally posted by The Franchise:

[/QUOTE]Nelson, I did bid on Torrey Smith this week, but didn't get him anywhere. I hope he works out for you guys.

With that said, I am DEFINITELY taking the under on 16 points. J-E-T-S are gonna steamroll him tomorrow night! :D

Eddiejag

Week 4 Pickups

Post by Eddiejag » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:50 am

IN one of my big leagues we bid just over 300 hundred for Torey Smith and that league we have Lee Evans.In the other leagues we bid just bout 100 dollars and needless to say didnt get him anywhere.
Steve Slaton was my big pickup in three of the four high stakes event.With the rookie out and Bush sucking thought that might be something.
Laurent Robinson is another guy i like and think he will evanually be the third reciver passing Ogletree.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!