Fantasy Football Player Rankings

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:12 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
Jules,

I don't know if these are the ones you're looking for, but they're under the NFFC Players menu.

NFFC Career Earnings Leaders

NFFC Records No, I want the "Lifetime Standings", the old site had them, but I don't see them on this site. My ego wants to see how far behind BillyWaz I am!!! :D
[/QUOTE]You may be behind me there Jules, but I think you may have me beat in most other ways that people measure "fantasy success". ;)

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:41 am

See link below for what a ranking methodology should look like - this is what I've put together for baseball. If I had all the data I'd do it for football too.

First, I think you need to rank the high stakes player separate from the main event player. Second, I think experience counts over one or two good seasons, and the philosophy of both of these ranking lists account for that.

http://nfbcplayer.blogspot.com/

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:35 am

Hmmm... maybe Tom or Greg will see this post and offer you the data to crunch into your system? You have some good ideas there, KJ.

Am I interpreting your two separate rankings systems right? The High Stakes players receive cumulative points for finishes, right? So this ignores how many points they've scored and only counts where they've finished (1st, 2nd, etc.). Not criticizing, just trying to understand.

The Main Event rankings are based on points scored above the event average. Again, this is cumulative over years, right?

So in both systems, it would likely take newer players several years to catch up to longtime members. Is there perhaps a third metric, "Average Points Over Field Average"? Though these numbers wouldn't mean as much for someone w/ a year or two of experience, it would at least put them on the map.

Also, for the High Stakes rankings, seeing you're only awarding points for money won, it doesn't account for "Winning %" or how many league entries it took for someone to win that money. In its most far-fetched scenario, someone could enter 50 leagues in a year and only win one, but if it's the right one, get a bunch of ranking points. What about those 49 losses? ;)

[ August 14, 2010, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:57 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:

Am I interpreting your two separate rankings systems right? The High Stakes players receive cumulative points for finishes, right? So this ignores how many points they've scored and only counts where they've finished (1st, 2nd, etc.).
Yes, the main goal is to win money. A guy who only comes in 5th in every lge isn't much of a player.

So in both systems, it would likely take newer players several years to catch up to longtime members. Is there perhaps a third metric, "Average Points Over Field Average"? Though these numbers wouldn't mean as much for someone w/ a year or two of experience, it would at least put them on the map. As it should be, one great season doesn't move you to the top of a career achievement list. An "avg pts over field" would simply be rewarding newbies who haven't proven anything yet but a good season or two. If they keep it up they'll move up the ranking lists quickly.

In its most far-fetched scenario, someone could enter 50 leagues in a year and only win one, but if it's the right one, get a bunch of ranking points. What about those 49 losses? ;) a) Getting data on all players for every contest ever entered would be an impossible task.
b) Experience counts for something, I gotta believe 49 losses make the guy a better player.
c) If someone is willing to lose that often, I want to do everything I can to encourage him to keep playing! :D
d) This is how the main event ranking differs, bankroll doesn't necessarily help you there.

[ August 14, 2010, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:50 am

Originally posted by GK:
quote:Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
URL=http://nffc.fanball.com/nffcplayers/car ... eaders.php]NFFC Career Earnings Leaders[/URL]

NFFC Records No, I want the "Lifetime Standings", the old site had them, but I don't see them on this site. My ego wants to see how far behind BillyWaz I am!!! :D
[/QUOTE]...hate to blast your party here fellows but a quick glance at this one money rankings and I can see that for myself at least, it is simply inaccurate...carry on here...GK
[/QUOTE]Are you referring to the "NFFC Records" link, Glenn?

If so, I don't see any $$$ rankings (unless you are a 100K winner).

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:06 am

I'm guessing that is only LIVE events, or NFFC sanctioned satellites.

Meaning the Snake Classic, BillyWaz DC, etc. do not count towards that $$ total.

I know you have 3 Main championships ($15,000), what else should be there?

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:50 pm

I read elsewhere that they didn't have access to the past nffc leagues so we didn't get credit for any of those. It's mostly about wcoff followed by ffpc.

Wayne

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:53 pm

The other thing that is kind of ironic is that they give the most credit for wcoff which in my opinion the easiest competition. Then it is completelly waited by the post season results which is the lottery portion of fantasy football.

Wayne