Can't Make Live Events? Call Us

Mike Costaglio

Post by Mike Costaglio » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:22 pm

Shrink Attack, based on the speed of the NFFC drafters, online access would not be an advantage. The draft is over before any late breaking news.

[ July 06, 2008, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Mike Costaglio ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:23 pm

I think the argument here Snake is that someone should not be able to signup NOW for drafting at home, and they should be on "stand by" if they cannot make the draft.

Obviously if a hurricane, family emergency, etc. were to occur, those people would have already been signed up to attend a city and then would be permitted to draft from home.

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:27 pm

I guess for me, the annual gathering for the big live draft is the high point of the fantasy season (until I win it all). I would hate to see it all devolve into a big on-line tourney.

Once that Pandora's box gets opened, folks might start weighing their options. Airfare/hotel/expenses vs. sit at home in your boxers. From a business perspective, it makes more sense to avoid the expense of the trip to the draft.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:58 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I think the argument here Snake is that someone should not be able to signup NOW for drafting at home, and they should be on "stand by" if they cannot make the draft.

Obviously if a hurricane, family emergency, etc. were to occur, those people would have already been signed up to attend a city and then would be permitted to draft from home. I agree, Billy.

I think the issue that's building here is the concern that a "Pandora's Box" could be opened where people could be "guaranteed" a phone spot along side live drafters if they're able to provide a reasonable excuse for not being able to attend the draft. To be fair, Greg has not once said that this would happen, but some people might be concerned that our live event with face-to-face drama and tension might become peppered with pre-arranged phone drafters.

I'm sure that Greg will do the the equitable thing when it comes to phone drafting, so I don't really have an opinion on it right now. Business considerations aside (air fare, hotel, etc.), I can only speak for myself when I say that I'm spending the coin to travel and stay in Vegas to face live competition, not draft against a voice on the phone unless absolutely necessary due to emergencies or leagues not filling.

That being said, if phone drafting is allowed, my hope would be that they are either confined to their own leagues or used only as last minute emergency options to fill out leagues.

Again, we should all give Greg a chance to chime in here before anybody gets worked up about it.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:13 am

I think going forward, if the NFFC/NBC becomes more of an event as opposed to "just" a live draft opportunity, then it will continue to keep people coming on-site. Otherwise, I'm sure many would rather stay home and improve their ROI chances.

I cannot speak for the other cities, but my experience last year was one that I would have been just as happy drafting from home than on location.

Another thing to consider going forward is what happens if you have odd #s in every city? If you have 4 phone-drafters for Orlando, for instance, will they be spread across all leagues in Orlando or all put into 1 league? I can tell you that I don't want to be the guy sitting at a live draft with the chance for open tables on each side of me being used by phone-drafters. That would suck!

I'll also add one more potential huge advantage to the list that Mark "Follow Me" presented. There is nothing to stop 2 or more players from paying early, and being phone drafters that also just happen to be sitting in the same room during the draft. They would have the chance to watch each other's draft boards develop. Therefore giving them an ADP advantage that those sitting at the live event wouldn't have. For example, if I were targeting McFadden in the 7th round, but I see that he just went a round earlier in my buddies draft, I could take him earlier with the additional information.

While I understand the reasons behind making this a viable option, I also think that every effort should be made to maintain consistency and the integrity of the event.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

hammer

Post by hammer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:09 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
A speaker phone will be provided at the draft in any city that needs additional owners and the phone drafters would just call into an 800-number and announce their picks when their turn is up. It works easily enough for everyone.
Just so we all understand, the speakerphone will be the "phone owners" only chance to keep up with the draft? There will be no dedicated proctor relaying the picks to the phone owners as the picks happen?

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:10 am

Russ,

I cannot speak for the other cities, but my experience last year was one that I would have been just as happy drafting from home than on location.

Sorry to hear that. But as much as I hate to go into NYC, I will 'GO IN'. Why, I can go to Hooters on line, but in person is alittle better, No? My point is the same with drafting Live in person rather than on-line. First for me walking into the room I get a HUGE rush, second it's nice to meet other guys that post on here. 3rd I have a phone and all the hookups to the outside world I need, so I see no advantage in drafting on-line. But drafting in a League with 11 other guys and a room full of other people who like FF as much as you, to me is 2nd to non.

Sorry for the long post, but the numbers are down and NBC needs to get more people to play, trust me when I tell you this is good for everyone.

John