NFFC Hold 'Em Post-Season Tournament Rules

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:31 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
Are the prizes guaranteed if 150 teams don't join? I have no idea how much response we're going to get from my lists and the tens of thousands of names that Scoresandodds.com has. It states in the rules that we will refund all moneys by Friday, Jan. 6 if we don't fill. I'll do even one better with my NFFC guys and not process anyone's cc until we've guaranteed the contest. But if we get 50-60 signups, we do have the option to cancel the contest and refund the entry fees.

We're paying back $14,000 on $15,000 in signups, not counting the transaction fees. Obviously we're not doing it for the money as we'd like to add a fun post-season contest for our members and the grand prize is rather unique. The guys at scoresandodds.com feel we can do other contests that have similar prizes with the connections they have (remember, they sponsored Moneymaker in the NFFC), so this is a starting point of a good partnership.

JP, I guarantee I won't touch a penny of your money if you sign up through me until we've guaranteed the first league. Sound good?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:47 am

Makes sense. You can pretty much count on a minimum of $20 a team on transaction fees which should bring your revenue to $18,000 per league. Payout will be $12,000 on the cash option (probably chosen by most) or $14,000 on the WSOP option giving payouts of 67% or 77%.

If you go up to 8x the contest will be over before the Super Bowl as teams with the Super Bowl RBs at 8x will be a lock and any other contestants will have no chance. That may be the case anyway, but 8x will lessen interest, not increase it. Unlimited transactions also takes a lot of strategy out of the game as utilizing a scarce resource (adds) brings some science to the game. The original spec of a 4 move max per round adds gaming tension. Revenues won't be impacted as most will opt for the $20 fee, which would be the equivalent of 16 moves at 4 per round.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:12 am

Questions on the grand prize:

(1) Transportation costs up to $2,000 means what exactly? Can I fly from New York to Las Vegas via Australia?

(2) If the winner opts to get the $10,000 cash prize, can that person still get $2,000 in travel money to WATCH the WSOP?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:53 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
Makes sense. You can pretty much count on a minimum of $20 a team on transaction fees which should bring your revenue to $18,000 per league. Payout will be $12,000 on the cash option (probably chosen by most) or $14,000 on the WSOP option giving payouts of 67% or 77%.

If you go up to 8x the contest will be over before the Super Bowl as teams with the Super Bowl RBs at 8x will be a lock and any other contestants will have no chance. That may be the case anyway, but 8x will lessen interest, not increase it. Unlimited transactions also takes a lot of strategy out of the game as utilizing a scarce resource (adds) brings some science to the game. The original spec of a 4 move max per round adds gaming tension. Revenues won't be impacted as most will opt for the $20 fee, which would be the equivalent of 16 moves at 4 per round. Good points on all and we had talked about each of what you said. We were going to limit it to four per round.

Okay, I'm convinced. 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x makes the most sense and limited moves per round makes sense. I'll update tomorrow.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:54 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

(1) Transportation costs up to $2,000 means what exactly? Can I fly from New York to Las Vegas via Australia?

(2) If the winner opts to get the $10,000 cash prize, can that person still get $2,000 in travel money to WATCH the WSOP? We were realistically capping what our expense would be if you flew to the WSOP. Who knows, maybe I'll just pick you up in the Krause suburban to save money and drive you there myself!! ;) If you win Glenn and opt for the $10,000, I'll use the leftovers to fly you to Las Vegas for the NFBC!!

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:00 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

(2) If the winner opts to get the $10,000 cash prize, can that person still get $2,000 in travel money to WATCH the WSOP? We were realistically capping what our expense would be if you flew to the WSOP. Who knows, maybe I'll just pick you up in the Krause suburban to save money and drive you there myself!! ;) If you win Glenn and opt for the $10,000, I'll use the leftovers to fly you to Las Vegas for the NFBC!!
[/QUOTE]The...Krause...suburban???

LMAO!!!

Subtle humor doesn't always come across well on the message boards -- I'm glad you have figured out when I'm kidding. :D

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:36 pm

For a $100 entry fee and in this format, I would like to see the "Restock, Transaction or technically - Rebuy fee" be higher than $2 per player or the max of $20. I would like to see the fees more like $10 per and a max of $100 just like a Rebuy in a Poker Tourney.

If you had the foresight to select "studs" from the gitgo why should "Johnny-Come-Lately's/Roster Changers" be able to crawl back into a "Playoff Challenge? I know that the "multiplier" is meant to be the equalizer and that it is supposed to make you think twice about changing your roster but folks can have a horrible first round and still have a fighting chance. I know that you say that I just made an arguement for the cause. That this is done to keep folks interested and figthing because afterall, they paid their $100. I say balderdash. I think that these "Post-Season NFL Playoff Challenges" are better if you select your lineup and are foreced to live with it throughout the playoffs, no changes allowed. The "Master Prognosticators" will be smiling after week one and 25% of the folks will be out of it. Oh well, they went "All-In" with their choices and got burned. See ya next year. Week two another 25% will be eliminated from contention and its adios amigos. So friggin what and so on. The folks who correctly predicted the "Studs" from the two Superbowl Teams will be rewarded for their prowess. But in this system, you can have a bad week one and still have a fighting chance, along with the other 25% noted above who had poor starts and saw their studs flutter or get injured.

To me this is FF Lotto, you set your team and hope. The question begs,

Do the roster transactions that are being allowed really add a skill level to this type of challenge or do they just open the door for a better finish?

My preference:

1) Set your roster using one player from each NFL team in the Playoffs filling the following positions:

QB(2)RB(2)WR(2)TE(2)K(2)Team D(2)

2) All players scores count as long as they are still playing

3) Championship Playoff Games Scores count 1.5 times normal.

4) Superbowl Scores count 2X normal

This system may take a tad more skill though an injured player will likely spell doom but that is the way the old ball bounces during the FF playoffs anyway.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Though I do not care for the proposed setup, to quote my friend "El Capitan", "I am All-In".
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:57 pm

Greg,

Count me in

(Insert silly/whimsical poker reference joke here)

Thank you
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:22 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
After the second round, there is no limit to the number of players per NFL team you can have on your playoff roster.
This is a real bad rule.

Everyone is going to have the same 2 QB's, same 2 main RB's, and same 4 main WR's from the Super Bowl teams, unless I'm reading this wrong.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:37 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
After the second round, there is no limit to the number of players per NFL team you can have on your playoff roster.
This is a real bad rule.

Everyone is going to have the same 2 QB's, same 2 main RB's, and same 4 main WR's from the Super Bowl teams, unless I'm reading this wrong.
[/QUOTE]Good point. Here's the proposed change:

2. Draft: Owners must manage a team of 12 players throughout the playoffs to accumulate the most league points. Owners will initially complete their roster by selecting one player from each team that qualified for the playoffs. In the second round as teams are eliminated from the playoffs, owners can have as many as two players from the same team on their Hold ’Em roster. In the third round as teams are eliminated from the playoffs, owners can have as many as three players from the same team on their roster. In the Super Bowl, teams are limited to four spots per team. As teams are eliminated from the playoffs, owners are allowed to restock their roster by adding free agents at $2 per transaction, but transactions are limited to four per week.