anyone have the guts to sit Andre Johnson and Marcus Colston

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:16 am

Originally posted by Phat Bustards:
I am one of those who say you don't bench your stars. I am not the best at who to sit/start, but like with your starters in baseball, I think the best you can hope for is 50/50 (50% of the time you will be right and 50% of the time you will be crying in your beer).

Top QB, Top RB, Top WR1 and WR2 play. Juggle the rest. I agree with this early in the season.

John

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:35 am

One thing to keep in mind - Asomugha does not cover one WR exclusively. Revis does. Asomugha lines up on one side of the field and whichever WR lines up across from him is the WR he'll cover on that particular play. So it could be Johnson or it could be Walter. Obviously if the Texans are smart they'll move Johnson away from Asomugha as often as possible to get him a more favorable matchup. Revis, though, will match up on Colston for most of the game, if not every play.

Just a little something extra to take into consideration.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Post by renman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:53 pm

I am not one who always plays my studs. I am benching Tomlinson and Ryan Grant this week against the Steelers and Vikings. I have benched studs in the past numerous times. It hasn't always been the right call but I believe more often than not it has been.

I think it is easier to bench a stud RB vs a bad matchup than it is a stud WR because a WR can end up with a good or serviceable game with just 2 or 3 touches via a big play or two. Harder for an RB to pull that off in my opinion.

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:22 pm

I would never bench my first pick or the #1 WR on the best passing offense in the NFL. Some might. But what I would ask my self is, if it is week 15 and I am in the playoffs would I bench them then? Good luck.

aragon

Post by aragon » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:54 am

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
Unless I had four studs I just couldn't do it because inevitably my benched stud would have a career game and I would be kicking myself til the end of time. Bong, your reply may have hit the nail on the head. Which would make you feel worse? Starting Colston or Johnson and getting just pedestrian numbers, or not starting them and missing a "go off" game. Obviously the latter.

Personally, I have colston in the classic and Johnson in the primetime. Was just wondering what others were thinking. The bye week makes it an easier decision.

renman

Post by renman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:19 am

Maybe I am weird but I make my decision on who I am starting before the game... I look at the decision from many perspectives and ultimately come to a choice. Once I make that choice and have justified it with what I believe is logic, I commit to it.

So if I bench Tomlinson against the Steelers and he goes off it wont bother me much because I made my commitment to a decision that to me was right. Getting upset after is more second guessing and monday morning quarterbacking to me. Now if I am agonizing before kickoff last second and make a half hearted, half committed decision just before kickoff and end up being wrong...

That drives me nuts!

The key to me is to find a reason to BELIEVE in whatever ultimate choice you make and commit to it regardless of outcome.