Ryan Torain Official Debut Thread!

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:41 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Go Getta:
A lisfranc injury for a running back is a pretty significant injury if you ask me. It would definitely worry me.

Same thing if you had a QB with a shoulder injury before he got drafted. your previous posts says that you don't care about the significance of the injury. remember your fingernail comment?
[/QUOTE]I was stating that an injury is an injury. Why you are taking everything so literal?

The guy you drafted, banked on helping your team and hyped up did just what he did in college, got injured. Deal with it and move on. If you are so high on him draft him again next year and wait for him to come back in week 10 again. Because if it is a ACL injury, that is the earliest he'll be back.

You gambled on him and lost. We do it every year. I've done it and so has everyone else. Sometimes we hit and sometimes we don't. You didn't.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:44 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
To me, it is completely not relevant how injury prone a guy was in the past when we are talking about the value of a POSSIBLE STARTING RB EMERGING IN WEEK 10 IN A FOURTEEN TEAM FANTASY LEAGUE.

His value is based on that... If we had a straight draft last week he would have gone in the 3rd-4th round given all things indicated he was soon to be the starting RB for the Broncos. Keep in mind this is a team with a prolific passing attack that would provide an RB with all kinds of room to run.

He had big value regardless of his past history. Fantasy football is about what a player is GOING TO DO in the future more than what has happened in the past. There are a ton of productive guys each week in the NFL who have a big injury history. movement of GG's FF respect based on this thread alone...
Waz -1 unit
Renman +1 unit
Go Getta -10 units
[/QUOTE]Hahaha. You act as if I care about how much Mark Srebro respects my fantasy football prowess. I think I might lose some sleep over this tonight....oh wait a minute, no I won't.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 am

Originally posted by Go Getta:
I was stating that an injury is an injury. Why you are taking everything so literal? i commented on what YOU posted.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:49 am

Originally posted by Renman:

He had big value regardless of his past history. Fantasy football is about what a player is GOING TO DO in the future more than what has happened in the past. There are a ton of productive guys each week in the NFL who have a big injury history. How many of those productive players had a major injury in college, got hurt before they even touched a NFL field and got hurt again in the first half of football they played in the NFL?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:49 am

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
To me, it is completely not relevant how injury prone a guy was in the past when we are talking about the value of a POSSIBLE STARTING RB EMERGING IN WEEK 10 IN A FOURTEEN TEAM FANTASY LEAGUE.

His value is based on that... If we had a straight draft last week he would have gone in the 3rd-4th round given all things indicated he was soon to be the starting RB for the Broncos. Keep in mind this is a team with a prolific passing attack that would provide an RB with all kinds of room to run.

He had big value regardless of his past history. Fantasy football is about what a player is GOING TO DO in the future more than what has happened in the past. There are a ton of productive guys each week in the NFL who have a big injury history. movement of GG's FF respect based on this thread alone...
Waz -1 unit
Renman +1 unit
Go Getta -10 units
[/QUOTE]Hahaha. You act as if I care about how much Mark Srebro respects my fantasy football prowess. I think I might lose some sleep over this tonight....oh wait a minute, no I won't.
[/QUOTE]i eat players like you for breakfast. if greg ever gets a "Champion" league going next year, i'll expose your faulty reasoning/evaluating skills on the fantasy football field.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

renman

Post by renman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:51 am

Getta,

I am curious... if a starting RB emerged during week 10 of the fantasy season and you had 400 FAAB dollars and the next highest FAAB budget in your league was 100...would you bid to get the guy?

I think the answer is yes... because starting RB's do not just appear very often in week 10. We all take fliers on guys with upside potential later in the draft in hopes that the guy will emerge for the stretch run. This debate isn't about whether Torain was on the same level of Westbrook or Portis... It is about whether he had serious value in week 10 and was worthy of the hype he was getting.

I think he did have serious value and there was/is no way to predict that a guy is going to get tackled in an awkward way that results in injury. As I said before.. the list of "injury prone" players who put up huge fantasy numbers every week is long. If you are going to avoid injury prone players you are not going to be able to field a full team.

Is/was Mewelde Moore considered a stud or even solid NFL player? No.. but when an opportunity presented itself (due to injuries) he produced. All RB's in the NFL are talented... Not all have a roll that allows them to produce.

renman

Post by renman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:54 am

He had big value regardless of his past history. Fantasy football is about what a player is GOING TO DO in the future more than what has happened in the past. There are a ton of productive guys each week in the NFL who have a big injury history. How many of those productive players had a major injury in college, got hurt before they even touched a NFL field and got hurt again in the first half of football they played in the NFL?
[/QUOTE]Getta,

TONS of productive NFL players had major injury problems in college. The "getting hurt in the 1st half of the 1st game" was a fluke that you even admitted was a fluke 32 posts ago in this thread. ANY RB could have gotten hurt on that play.

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:54 am

The difference in what you are saying is that he wasn't on the waiver wire. He was stashed on rosters with the hope that he would come back from injury and take over the starting job.

If Selvin Young was healthy and producing do you really think Torain, coming off injury, having never had a NFL carry, would over take him on the depth chart?

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:56 am

Originally posted by Renman:
Getta,

I am curious... if a starting RB emerged during week 10 of the fantasy season and you had 400 FAAB dollars and the next highest FAAB budget in your league was 100...would you bid to get the guy?

I think the answer is yes... because starting RB's do not just appear very often in week 10. We all take fliers on guys with upside potential later in the draft in hopes that the guy will emerge for the stretch run. This debate isn't about whether Torain was on the same level of Westbrook or Portis... It is about whether he had serious value in week 10 and was worthy of the hype he was getting.

I think he did have serious value and there was/is no way to predict that a guy is going to get tackled in an awkward way that results in injury. As I said before.. the list of "injury prone" players who put up huge fantasy numbers every week is long. If you are going to avoid injury prone players you are not going to be able to field a full team.

Is/was Mewelde Moore considered a stud or even solid NFL player? No.. but when an opportunity presented itself (due to injuries) he produced. All RB's in the NFL are talented... Not all have a roll that allows them to produce. I agree with what you posted, Ren, but would you say it was worth holding on to the same player for a good portion of the regular season knowing he wasn't going to play until some point in the future? And knowing he would have several other rbs to share the backfield with him? And a rookie at that, who, to see considerable time on the field would have to be good at pass protection? With an injury history?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

renman

Post by renman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:06 am

The difference in what you are saying is that he wasn't on the waiver wire. He was stashed on rosters with the hope that he would come back from injury and take over the starting job.

If Selvin Young was healthy and producing do you really think Torain, coming off injury, having never had a NFL carry, would over take him on the depth chart? But this is exactly what happened! I have 3 RB's stashed on my roster for the very same reason. There was great buzz about him being very popular with the coaches and every reason to believe he would get his opportunity.

The point I am making is the guy did have value all season that progressively got higher leading up to this week. If he was a free agent last week a ton of money would have been spent on him. Nothing proves his value like what the free market would have spent on him in a FAAB bid.