NFFC Facts After Week 12

renman

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by renman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:55 am

Riff,

That was a great post. You actually broke that down in a way that made some good sense and makes the concept reasonable to consider. That was by far the best post I have seen on the topic. It should be required reading for anyone confused by it.

What I think many are not seeing is that there are countless fantasy owners who play in local leagues, or yahoo leagues, or fun national contests for lower level or zero investment. They think they are good fantasy players having dominated their local leagues and catch wind of the NFFC.

Now these guys are wondering if they want to pony up the cash for this event. Not everyone has $1500 just laying around (entry plus some expenses with hotel, travel, etc)so this is not always an easy decision. When they start looking into the rules of the event they see a serpentine draft, head to head games, individual leagues, Free agent bidding, all things they are familiar with and understand. They are now seriously considering this investment to jump in the fantasy football pond with the big fish.

Now say suddenly they see you can bid a certain amount of points as a "penalty" you get for drafting from a certain position. This is alien to them, this is unique, this is confusing. How would one gauge how to do this? How would one know how much value to place on those draft positions? Now this person is having second thoughts. They see they can bid nothing, but this now assures them no chance at the thrill of drawing the first pick. They now start having second thoughts. They were already slightly intimidated by the event thinking some serious players will be in it and now they feel at a disadvantage from having no understanding of this "bid for draft position with your points" concept.

I know many guys here mock this above example but I assure you that until serious research is done on this concept you can't take the chance that it will push away newbie fantasy players. Maybe 6 years from now we will look back on this time and say "wow, remember the days we used to give out draft positions in a random fashion?" Maybe a new concept like this will grow interest. I am not sure what the answer is. But I do know that a large mainstream event like this has to be handled cautiously and not reckless.

renman

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by renman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:01 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
fourth round stuck out like a sore thumb to me too, James. Gekko is almost as sharp as me and caught that. But it brings up a good point: Is third round the right round to reverse this? Is fifth round better? I think most people will agree that the big difference makers are found in the third round, but please go to the other thread to prove that. Now carry on and realize that I will delete any personal posts that get off topic today. Greg,

I know it stuck out....lol It was a mistake. With so much talk of "3"RR, I mistakenly typed "fourth round" as the next logical round to reverse without thinking. The POINT of my question was a valid one. Gekko just responded to my typo like he discovered gold. I just wonder if that round is the right one to reverse things. I guess mock drafts would be a good starting place to research how the talent would get spread out.

[ November 29, 2006, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: renman ]

RiFF

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by RiFF » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:20 am

Originally posted by renman:
Riff,

Now say suddenly they see you can bid a certain amount of points as a "penalty" you get for drafting from a certain position. This is alien to them, this is unique, this is confusing. How would one gauge how to do this? How would one know how much value to place on those draft positions? Now this person is having second thoughts. They see they can bid nothing, but this now assures them no chance at the thrill of drawing the first pick. They now start having second thoughts. They were already slightly intimidated by the event thinking some serious players will be in it and now they feel at a disadvantage from having no understanding of this "bid for draft position with your points" concept.

I guess to a certain extent you have validated my point. I believe there are probably "some" participants who join with the anticipation of getting a high draft slot and gaining an equalizing advantage. 3RR/KDS is intended to take that advantage away. Therefore these same players would probably now be disinterested because the advantage they were seekinmg has evaporated through 3RR/KDS.
Therefore, if the contest is going to "potentially" lose these fringe players because of a structural change that is intended to improve the Contest for the 'greater good", why not make the best change possible instead of a "middle-ground" change that has the potential of needing to be altered year to year based on the preceived value of players.

renman

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by renman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:29 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by renman:
Riff,

I guess to a certain extent you have validated my point. I believe there are probably "some" participants who join with the anticipation of getting a high draft slot and gaining an equalizing advantage. 3RR/KDS is intended to take that advantage away. Therefore these same players would probably now be disinterested because the advantage they were seekinmg has evaporated through 3RR/KDS.
Therefore, if the contest is going to "potentially" lose these fringe players because of a structural change that is intended to improve the Contest for the 'greater good", why not make the best change possible instead of a "middle-ground" change that has the potential of needing to be altered year to year based on the preceived value of players.
[/QUOTE]Riff,

I do not disagree with you. I just wanted to outline the fact that there are people who would likely be put off by this. I am not saying I dislike it or disagree with it. I am looking at the bigger picture. The event has been steadily growing. We all love the event and how it enriches our NFL experience. I just was talking about why it is necessary to tread cautiously with concepts like this.

Route Collectors

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:39 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
[qb] Jeff, if we switched to 3RR/KDS next year, do you think 19 of the top 32 overall point leaders would come from 12, 13, 14? If so, then it would be a dramatic switch and one we'd have to evaluate. But I honestly don't think it would swing that far and in fact might even equalize things a bit. Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]We could (as rainman suggested) do a mock draft to gain some insight. Maybe at the end of the season we could do 2 mocks...one that switches after 3 rounds and one after 5. It would be easy to see if any advantages/disadvantages are present using up to date points.

This should be a computer generated mock or at least a mock that's controlled by you or Tom since you have a good feel for the pulse of NFFC drafting. After you're done add up the #'s for discussion. Probably need to mock at least 7 or 8 rounds to get really good data.

Gordon Gekko

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:43 am

Originally posted by renman:
I am not saying I dislike it or disagree with it. waffle anyone? :D
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

renman

NFFC Facts After Week 12

Post by renman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:52 am

gekko,

Show me where I waffled on anything other then once respecting you as a fantasy football mind and message board poster and now laughing at you...lol

I have never once said I dislike BBDS and have always found it to be an interesting, innovative, worthy of discussion concept. You are lost.